Fishing History

swingwet

Learned a little fishing history and would like to share this information with those interested.

Where does the term "jack" come from when people refer to the Northern Pike?

I will give the answer after at least 10 people have responded without a correct answer.

Maybe a Classic Salmon Fly as a reward.

DOES IT RESEMBLE THE SCALES ON THE FISH ?

OR IS IT BECAUSE THE NAME " JACKFISH " CAME ABOUT BECAUSE WHEN FIGHTING

THE FISH AND YOUR PULLING IT UP TO THE BOAT IT WOULD " JACK KNIFE "

AND BREAK YOUR LINE "AS HE GIVE YOU THE EYES OF NOT TO DAY"

FLYROD

One Sunday a long time ago, it was sunny and the birds were singing. We drove to Nelson lake and my Great ,great, great uncle whom was way older then my dad said " Do you boys want to go fishing with uncle Jack ." Well as you all know , when someone at that time says , "Do you want to go Fishen" , All ears kinda shut down and the excitement builds. The boys start talken and the stories do grow. And do you know , we went fishen for Jack, that old sucker got drunk and fell out of the boat. Well , you never seen so much excitment. Back then, we never heard of life Jackets, well we were stringen our undies and shirts together just to get a long line to Uncle Jack . He was doin the backstroke, the crawl and finally the dog paddle, before we got him in. It was really exassperating, Aunti Alice couldn't believe all of this could happen. She said this is the most fun we've had in a long time.

So , after that we would get Uncle Jack drunk every Saturday night, just so as we could go fishin for Jack on sundays, ever since then we all go fishen for Jack. And thats the rest of the story..........

Dan

Pike 2012 (10).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Still 4 more responses till the answer is revealed.

As a side note how is it that there have been 186 VIEWS of this topic but only 6 RESPONSES?

As residents of Alberta I thought this topic was a no brainer to create some activity on this site.I would attribute it to something I've come to notice about the people I've been meeting in this province.It seems people are very willing to conversation about general chit-chat and enjoy talking for the sake of talking but very closed-mouthed ,often even offended,when it comes to sharing personal opinions on matters.Don't take this as a slight just an observation.

• 2 weeks later...