FF@/CANFF@/NLFT&F Alberta Conclave 2007

Jim Fox

Tonight I posted the following on the FF@ listserver. I am hoping that we get another strong showing from NLFTC this year - you guys are great to have around!

Alberta Conclave 2007

Well, spring has almost sprung in southern Alberta. You always know it’s just around the corner when you get 6” of snow during the morning commute and shovel off the driveway at dinnertime in shirtsleeves. Spring brings with it the promise of blue skies, crystal waters, and trout flashing in the sunlight. Time to plan a conclave!

Last year’s Alberta conclave on Racehorse Creek was a huge success so this year we will meet in the same watershed again. We will set up headquarters at (or near) the Dutch Creek Campground, about 10 km north of Racehorse Creek on the Forestry Trunk Road. This location is a bit closer to some of the water we will be fishing. I am actually hoping to find a random camping spot close to the road but a bit away from other people. Attendees from previous Alberta conclaves will understand why. More details on the exact location will follow.

For those who have not visited southern Alberta before, you will be in for a treat. The Oldman River drainage has numerous superb streams with native cutthroat, feisty rainbows, and an increasing population of big old bull trout. For slightly longer day trips, think about the Bow River, the Crowsnest River and BC’s Elk River. There is something for every passionate flyfisher and beautiful scenery to boot.

The dates are July 12-15 so mark your calendars for a few days of incomparable fishing in Canada’s finest (IMHO) trout watershed. Drop me a line if you would like more information or want me to add your name to the list.

If you need more info, drop me a line at jim_and_dorothy@hotmail.com. Hope to see you there

Jim Fox

Dutch Creek Campground Information:

42 Sites - Location: 35 km. North of Crowsnest Pass on Forestry Trunk Road or Hwy. 940. Easy access from Hwy. 517

http://www.cd.gov.ab.ca/enjoying_alberta/p...tion.asp?id=133

Site Type: Auto-accessible

Distance to Edmonton: 640 km

Distance to Calgary:345 km

Overnight Camping: Yes

Camping Season: May 1 - October 31

Camping Fees: $12.00 per night

Campsite Reservations: No

Operated By: Rocky Mountain Camping

Operator Website: http://www.rockymountaincamping.ca/DutchCreek.html (nice photos).

Group Use: No

Winter Activities: No

Information Phone Number: 403-563-5395

Natural Region: Rocky Mountain

The Official Alberta Klave Listserver:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/albertaklaves/

post-27-1175028103_thumb.jpg

That's gonna be a lot of driving for just one weekend... but I'm game. :)

I'll likely be down there squatting on the Crowsnest, Cat Creek, Racehorse, and others before the Klave.. but will swing by the Dutchie for the festivities. Yes Scratch... you should come so I can show you what some real fishing is like in Alberta... and finally get you into a Cuttie.

I was planning to hit the Crowsnest on the 25th of July then to Cataract Creek, but that might change now. A good possibility that I will join the Alberta Klave this year....Joe

Dennis

Sorry to tell you but I just got an email from Jim Fox and along with the email he attached the rules and regulations governing this years klave and the first one that jumped out at me was:

" Five-Alive" in a tetra pack or in frozen form shall not be permitted within the whole area known as "The Crowsnest Region". Consumption of same within this region will grounds for having all of your booze removed from your person and re-distributed to those klaver's nearby on a first come first served basis.

Consumption is, however, permitted within the Calgary City limits.

Tough luck eh Dennis

Vince

RangerBob

Squatting eh....I'm now trying to remove that picture from my minds eye.

Vince

Hmmmm.... since you broached the subject. You just made me remember this classic true angler tale and tune we created on some unamed creek.... it's right up there with 'Smelly, Smelly Shrimp Heads' and 'Gink It Up!' [ http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=2081&hl=gink ]. Scratch. we so have to remember to bring a tape recorder along for our impromptu jam sessions. Fortunately, I had a video camera around for the Shrimp Head song whilst out ice-fishing this year. It was a classic indeed.

Anyways, we're off to go hunt some Pike and Walleye tonight... have fun at the meeting tonight... Ding.. flies... are dooooone.

--

"Why Do Bears Go Pooping In The Woods?"

Sung To Tune Of: "CLOSE TO YOU"

Lyrics by Kim Carpenter

Bastardized by Scratch & Ranger Bob One Fine Fishing Day Together

Why do bears suddenly appear

Every time I need to squat,

Just like me and you, they long to poop

Close by you.

Why do I have to go poop

Every time they walk by?

On the day we ate some corn and brews

when all the other anglers got together

I had to go poop and a pee underneath a tree

But then I forgot the Charmaines.

Why are all these bears nearby

Following me all around?

On the day that I need to go

pooping in the woods...

oh why do I... have to go... pooping in the woods.

My cryatal ball is cloudy but I will really try to make it again this year. The crew last year were just fantastic and so was the pot luck supper! I am also trying to talk my sons into coming too. If all works out I look forward to seeing all of you again. :cheers::drinked::fishing:

Doug Como

NLFT member

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time last year as well and am hopeing to be able to make to this one. And by the way me thinks five - alive should be kepted to the young folk. Get with the picture :ph34r: and PISCO :cheers: is my choice of bevy. Can't wait to get into those cutties :clap::fishing::fish_jump:

For those that have been to this area I have this question.

Are these waters relatively easy for kids aged 10 and 12 to fish? My kids are going to learn to use fly rods this year and it would be nice if I could take them to an event such as this.

Are these waters relatively easy for kids aged 10 and 12 to fish?  ..........

The short answer is yes. There is a good variety of water to fish, ranging from small creeks for Vince (eg. Dutch, Vicary, Racehorse), to medium creeks (Livingstone), to small river (Oldman).

I wish someone had taken me there when I was 12. Oh well, I guess the area probably hadn't been discovered yet. Terry

Are these waters relatively easy for kids aged 10 and 12 to fish?  My kids are going to learn to use fly rods this year and it would be nice if I could take them to an event such as this.

SW,

My daughters, 9 year old and 13 going on thirty-something will be there too. You should bring yours along indeed.

Our Alberta Klaves are ALWAYS "Family Friendly' -- that is until the kids are fed and put to bed. :)

/RB :rangerbob:

Terry:

You're probably right that those waters hadn't been discovered when you were 12.

Captain John Palliser didn't come through there until after 1857.

Edited by dave robinson

Terry:

You're probably right that those waters hadn't been discovered when you were 12.

Captain John Palliser didn't come through there until after 1857.

Captain who? Friend of yours Dave?

Dipperdan,

Damn, my college kid made off with my pisco on Easter Sunday. He was saying something about going good with wings!

I'll just have to bring the Tullabardine from the Old Old Country along with some Canadians and the obligatory decoy cooler of Club beer!

Cheers,

Alberta al

:cheers:

Scratch:

Palliser was not a friend of mine,

but if he'd have hung around Fort McLeod for another 40 years or so,

he might have run into my grandfather who homesteaded there in the late 1800s.

John Palliser was the guy who, after initially travelling the area on a hunting expedition

explored the possible railway passages through southern Canadian parts ofthe Rockies

and initially mapped the Canadian US border from Winnipeg to the coast

He told the British Parliament in 1860 to forget about settlers in Southern Alberta

and southeastern Saskatchewan as it was way too dry to farm or raise cattle.

He was partially right in that the area suffered the worst in the drought and dust bowls the 30s

The general area bounded by the Us border and the Bow/Red Deer river drainage

from Lethbridge to about Regina is known as the Palliser Triangle

Obligatory decoy cooler of Club beer!

Because, like John Palliser and Alexander Keith... some "Yogies" like it... like it a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Palliser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Keith

Hey Boo Boo.. is that an unguarded pic-a-nic basket I see over there? No worries, the Ranger has yer back.

post-27-1176495830_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

2007 Alberta Conclave - May Update

Well, it is just about June and only 6 weeks from our 2007 Alberta Conclave and it seems the right time for an update.

We are on for July 12-15 at the Dutch Creek campground. Ranger Bob was kind enough to find a map and GPS coordinates, which can be seen here: <find link> Several people have confirmed they will be there (and some that won’t) - if you are think you are going to come, drop me a line at jim_and_dorothy@hotmail.com just so I know who to expect. Campsites can not be reserved at this campground so I’d like to know how many sites we need so I can make alternative plans if it is busy.

As is normal, Saturday will be pot-luck dinner day. Bring your favorite Claving dish to share with the crowd. It would be nice to know who is bringing what so I can fill in any gaps. Again, an email at the above address will be the best way to contact me.

For those who are interested, I am proposing we do another fly swap this year. Last year’s theme worked well for the two who participated (thanks Dan & Lance!) so we’ll use it again: New to You. The idea is to tie a fly you have never tied before. It can be something you invent or something just new to you. Let me know if you want to participate in the next couple of weeks and I will post a list so we all tie enough.

My current plan is to be there on the Wednesday (11 July) and I’ll set up a Conclave Central. I’m thinking about taking a trip up to the Elk, Fording or maybe the Wigwam River on Thursday or Friday. Let me know if you are interested in making a group to go and we’ll plan separately.

So please let me know if you are thinking about coming or if you just have questions.

Jim Fox

Clave-guy

• 1 month later...

The 2007 Alberta Clave is just hours away. I will be packing up and heading out early Wednesday morning. Please contact me at jim_and_dorothy@hotmail.com before then if you need anything. When you get to the campground, look for the sign on my campsite – if I am fishing, I’ll leave a note about where I am.

Everyone seems to know what’s going on this year, as I’ve had very few posts about the conclave. I am presuming that everyone has got swap flies bagged, a potluck dish made and their coolers stocked so I am not worrying any more. See you all there!

Jim Fox

Clavemeister

I'm apackin and gitten redy fo a fisen dem dar moutan criks... :vikinjg:::thumbup: I don't sopose Mr Vincent is aheadin down thar , it seems he's a livin thar alredy? We'ed be thar thurs A.M. an a fisen A.S.P..... :fishing::fish_jump: