Nicknames personal rant & Fishing report:

Flywing

Nicknames personal rant:

I can appreciate a good nickname just like the rest but I fail to see why the need to hide identities with them. I simply don’t lend any credence to any information from someone who hides behind them. If what is being said is questionable information then it shouldn’t be disseminated even under a pseudonym. I use the Flywing handle but in my signature my given name appears in all of my posts to this list. I would personally appreciate the courtesy returned. I’m lucky to remember my own name let alone the names of people I meet only very occasionally add to that a fantasy name I’m totally screwed!! Please condescend to an old guy and his failing memory with reality as his is becoming questionable at best in “Wally World.”

Fishing report:

Fishing on the Babine was fantastic!! Stayed a week there then moved to the Terrace area and ran about 150km. total on several rivers. Fished only one day for Chinooks on the Kitamat River without success apparently the run is not as strong as expected or they managed to sneak through early undetected (we hope) but in all Rodseth and I had a fantastic two weeks. I took about 1100 photos that I’m still trying to sort through.

Wally, you are absolutely right.

Nicknames can have a certain cachet about them, particularly if given by others.

Mine came from a bunch fo reprobates I used to work with a few years back

and refers to my occupation as an Electrical Engineer (nothing whatever to do with trains).

Folks from those days know who Sparkie is. For others, my avatar is my photo.

Others may enjoy being able to make ccomments with the anonymity of a nickname

but I take no joy in making comments without others knowing the author.

Your suggestion to include a real name in the signature section is great and I have obliged.

I'm envious of your trip to the Babine. I also wish I was going with buddy John Bertrand to Haa Nee Naa Lodge to fly fish for Coho in the salt in August. I understand Mike is off to Tofino to do the same. I'm going to give him the foam and deerhair gurgler you tied for the NLFT to try out, as John says they work well on coho on the surface. Hope it works for Mike. Insead of coho, I'll be hoping to fit in a day fishing for Tapuo Trout on our trip to NZ in mid August.

Wally

I agree with you 100%. It's about time someone brought this point up and I do hope people listen and at least sign off by using their own name.

Dave, your nickname doesn't have anything to do with Cows does it.

Vince

Although I understand the trepidation of the older crowd towards the unknown, I myself have more of a fear towards the known. We now live in an age where it is far better to be anonymous.

It is unfortunate that it is this way as I was taught to be a stand up sorta fella but experience has taught me to be cautious.

SnoWolf

SnoWolf

I am a cautious sort of guy myself and that's why I choose to use my name. I find it easier to chat with someone when I know who I'm talking to rather than someone who is unknown. Most of us here at the club know who you are so as far as I'm concerned chatting with you is fine but if I have no idea who you are the chances of me exchanging information with you would be zero.

I don't think this is an age thing...as I consider myself to be an old guy but I do think it's just a matter of wanting to know the person at the other end of the line. as an example if someone, unkown to me, calls me on the phone and wants info or just wants to talk then the first thing I do is say good bye.

Anyway, just my two bits worth. Good fishing to ya.

Vince

PS I'm considering using a handle soon but my name will always appear.

Although I understand the trepidation of the older crowd towards the unknown, I myself have more of a fear towards the known.  We now live in an age where it is far better to be anonymous.

It is unfortunate that it is this way as I was taught to be a stand up sorta fella but experience has taught me to be cautious.

SnoWolf

:barf: Well that clear up any fears I had!

I too have been moved to stop hiding behind my alias.

Sincerely,

John Doe,

Anytown, AB

Nice to see maturity come to the fore; now we need to work on credibility.
Wow, I didn't know I should need to cave to what you dubbed as "your personal rant"

My personal rant is people with no sense of humour, but you don't care, why should you. I'm just a nickname. I don't exist.

My name is Adrian

I live in Edmonton

I have a wife, two kids, two dogs and a fish

I'm 45

Gainfully employed

'nuff information for you?

I understand Wally's point - and frankly must sit on the fence. I certainly don't lend any real credibility to 'bashing' from an 'Anonymous' user - but many of the faces at the forum in particular are 'mostly' known folks.

For those who aren't - indeed - sitting behind an avatar is akin to skulking in the bushes - but really it all comes down to choice.

If we want to be heard, accepted, respected, etc. we tend to show ourselves. But if criticism is our aim - constructive or not - it can be taken in the wrong way. There are eyebrows or a smile in email.

I choose to 'minimize' the 'public' nature of myself online to at least make it more difficult to acertain where I live, what I drive, what my family looks like - for our safety. I don't 'hide' behind an avatar - but I also try to minimize how easy it is to get a handle on me. Having thwarted molotov cocktails directed toward my home - I'm cautious about these things - but not paranoid.

I think the point is this - if you have great information to share - do so.

If you have effective constructive criticism - please share it - regardless of your 'anonymity'.

If you want to stir up the poop - do it like a (not being sexist - just colloquial) man, and show your face, or alternately, just don't stir it up.

Pretty safe guidelines overall if you ask me.

Nicknames personal rant:

I can appreciate a good nickname just like the rest but I fail to see why the need to hide identities with them. I simply don’t lend any credence to any information from someone who hides behind them. If what is being said is questionable information then it shouldn’t be disseminated even under a pseudonym. I use the Flywing handle but in my signature my given name appears in all of my posts to this list. I would personally appreciate the courtesy returned. I’m lucky to remember my own name let alone the names of people I meet only very occasionally add to that a fantasy name I’m totally screwed!! Please condescend to an old guy and his failing memory with reality as his is becoming questionable at best in “Wally World.”

Wally, in answer to your question:

So is this the Wally Lutz

at

540* Avenue 14a

Edson, Alberta

T7E1H4

(780) 723 - 7**8 ??

http://people.superpages.ca/supermaps/mapi...125&level=8#Map

SIN #: *** *** ***

Credit rating: 5

IP address of: (easy enough to find with a kiddie script)

Don't you bank at CIBC?

etc. etc.?

Maybe you're the other W. Lutz in Edson, but you get the picture. There is alot of info someone, anyone, the entire world can find out with your real name on the web. For purposes as innocent as bombarding you with SPAM or flyers in your mailbox, etc. to your opinion ticking someone off who finds you.

I understand your point. I understand the concept of folks "hiding" but there are also some worries regarding the world too. What if you were a single woman posting on the board (fishBC has a few). I wouldn't want my daughter putting her real name out there.

Also, what if I was Lefty Kreh and got sick and tired of people bowing down to me every time I expressed an opinion? I'd want a little anonomynity once and a while so folks would feel more free to call BS on me...no?

I know you're a bit more - public(?) with your fly tying and stuff and are used to telling folks who you are, where you're from and sharing yourself. Others are not.

I've been posting on forums on the net since they first hit in the early 90's (91? I think). I've been there done that. Believe me, if you frequent forums on the net you WANT anonymynity. Fair enough this forum is pretty benign and you'd likely be safe for years if you were "Miss Susan G. Scarden from Tofield". What about a 14 year old boy who's just getting into fishing? Plenty of "Bad" in the world for a 14 year old boy. But I think you get the point no?

For those that call it "sulking" or "hiding" or "cowardly", in my mind it's like standing up in a firefight and calling the guys on the ground "pussies".

Don't forget for every poster/participant, there's probably 20 other lurkers just reading and watching.

Gosh Wally, you have to advertise to get fishing partners? Maybe you aught to check out a new brand of deoderant! Seriously, as soon as we get Grace's surgery figured out, I'll let you know when.....

Jim

Hope all goes well with Grace!

I'll be ready and waitin' for the word.