The year of the Rooster

Joe Hard

I have seen that a few of you are doing up some Stamp/fly showcase peice, I was just letting you all know that there is going to be 4 stamps comming out Feb,4,05. Check the P.O. for details. They are 4 Canadian flies. I think a member here tied one of them. :bow:

Yes the stamps are onlt the agenda not only to purchase, but also tie as another set. We are about half way through the first set from the late 90's. I'm not sure that one of our members had tied one of the new flies, but Brian Chan did have the honor of putting his name to one. At least he's not a member yet. BTW speaking of Brian Chan, did anyone catch the Fishing with Shelley & Courtney. Brian was on this week, and it was a very interesting show. I'm thinking I need to get a stomach pump this year.

speaking of Brian Chan, did anyone catch the Fishing with Shelley & Courtney.

Darren you mean Fishing with Two Dumb Blondes. Ah yes, it always amazes me how people like this with limited education in the sport can have their own tv show. It ranks up there with the Dimestore Junkies. Alas, I have seen this episode and I quite enjoy it as well. Afterall Chan is the king when it comes to chironimids and lake fishing. That lake they were fishing was Lac Le Jeune I believe (please correct me if I am wrong). I used to live a half hour away from their when I lived in Kamloops and I can associate my beginnings in flyfishing to it. Personally one of my favorite tv fishing shows is Sportfishing BC with Mark Pendlington he's actually knowledgable and he also has an episode on Lac Le Jeune which covers some similar topics that Chan addresses. If you can get a hold of that episode I think you would enjoy it. He doesn't have a website that I know of, Shelley and Courtney do though.

TF

I'm thinking I need to get a stomach pump this year.

I'm thinking I need to get my own stomach pumped after each time I watch the "Blonde" show too.. ditto for the Dimebag fisherman. So not a bad idea to have one on hand really.

Yeah, I'd rather watch BASSmasters Classic re-runs.

Edited by RangerBob

Ok Dave, Just make sure that you and Dennis get in a good shave in the morning.

Maybe we should get a couple of guys to show up on Saturday in Blonde wigs,

just to make Brian feel right at home 

Oh ya, make sure to shave those legs as well. Mabey RB can dig up some info for you so that you don't get too many knicks and cuts. :kicks::kicks:

Do I sense some jealosy there is nothing wrong with Shelly and Coutrney!....................................................Except. :barf: I will leave it at that.

As for wigs and the shaving dont you guys do that all the time? :barf: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay,

Someone has to step up for Fishing with Shelly & Courtney; I'll do it. And here's why: I think you guys are missing the forest for the trees.

- they fish in some great loctions; some of which you or I will never get to see let alone fish;

- they are usually fly fishing;

- they have knowledgable guests and guides that knowledge transfer the skills and techniques used to fish in a particular scenario;

- they list the exact equipment and terminal gear they are using;

- they provide contact info for the lodges and guides;

- they use the cooking segment to promote local seafood dishes you can recreate at home;

- they have a 2-3 minute spot for Tom Bird to speak on current fisheries biology and conservation; and,

- they show women that they too can have a good time and success fishing (I think that's pretty noble in a male dominated passtime).

What's wrong with all that? If someone asked if you wanted to watch a fishing show with all the aforementioned qualities, what would YOU say?

--------------------

Tys Flies,

Ah yes, it always amazes me how people like this with limited education in the sport can have their own tv show.

"Limited education?" Have you been to their website? Don't YOU watch THEIR show? When does YOUR show air? I'll make time to absorb all the information you'll be presenting on ocean fishing for salmon and bottom fish, river fishing for steelhead, flats fishing for bonefish .... With the amount of time S&C spend fishing with top guides at top lodges, don't you think they can speak to the sport intelligently? I do.

Personally one of my favorite tv fishing shows is Sportfishing BC with Mark Pendlington he's actually knowledgable

Mine too; however, he's in season 8 right now. I don't know when you started watching, but the entire premise of the show was to show that people could learn how to be successful fishing in BC waters (from Tom Johansen, co-producer, when we met him in Smithers). In the first season he could barely tie on his own flies or cast. So, in reality, Mark is knowledgable now b/c he has had the opportunity to fish with top guides on top waters.

No hard feelings, Tys Flies. I just had to step up for the ladies and challenge the logic behind the SFBC comparison.

Cheers and End of Rant!

Robin

No hard feelings, Tys Flies. I just had to step up for the ladies and challenge the logic behind the SFBC comparison.

No hard feelings, were all allowed to voice our opinions.

- they are usually fly fishing;

- they have knowledgable guests and guides that knowledge transfer the skills and techniques used to fish in a particular scenario;

- they list the exact equipment and terminal gear they are using;

-I beg to differ about the flyfishing. Of the umpteen episdoes that I have seen most of the time they are drifting with the rest of the floatsam on the pacific chasing salmon with downriggers and mooching reels. However, they do flyfish quite often.

-Yes, they have knowledgable guests. This seems to be the premise of their show allow others to educate rather than the hosts.

-Sportfishing BC as well many other shows demonstrate and explain the gear and type of methods they are using.

- they use the cooking segment to promote local seafood dishes you can recreate at home;

- they have a 2-3 minute spot for Tom Bird to speak on current fisheries biology and conservation; and,

- they show women that they too can have a good time and success fishing (I think that's pretty noble in a male dominated passtime).

What's wrong with all that? If someone asked if you wanted to watch a fishing show with all the aforementioned qualities, what would YOU say?

-SH I will give you these. Tom Bird is knowledgable but once again he is another GUEST. I enjoy the cooking segment but often again they have guest chefs. And at no point was I calling down the female sex or discourage them from persuing the sport. So nothing is really wrong with these.

"Limited education?" Have you been to their website? Don't YOU watch THEIR show? When does YOUR show air? I'll make time to absorb all the information you'll be presenting on ocean fishing for salmon and bottom fish, river fishing for steelhead, flats fishing for bonefish .... With the amount of time S&C spend fishing with top guides at top lodges, don't you think they can speak to the sport intelligently? I do.

SH I have been to their website many times its mostly what I do on the internet (browse fishing websites). I watch their show all the time. And actually it is one of my passions to start up a television show all thow it may be a far off fantasy. I am enrolled in an Environmental Conservation program at the U of A so that when I get my degree I can continue to persue my passion of fishing and perhaps (another dream) open a fly shop and maybe begin that tv series. Yes they do fish all over the world and I appreciate that as I enjoy geography as well so seeing different locales is inspiring. I am only 19 and when I presented my fly patterns on cutt-throat fishing in November I believe I educated quite a few of our members out there (at least thats what their response to me was). So I think that I may have the ability to teach something.

Alas, I have seen this episode and I quite enjoy it as well. Afterall Chan is the king when it comes to chironimids and lake fishing. That lake they were fishing was Lac Le Jeune I believe (please correct me if I am wrong). I used to live a half hour away from their when I lived in Kamloops and I can associate my beginnings in flyfishing to it.

SH, I think you might've missed this part. I really liked this segment and it brough back memories of where flyfishing originated for me. They do have a fairly entertaining show and yes I am a viewer. However, I think they could do it better or if they did it on their own rather than with the aid of all the guests I would give them more credibility. My comments at the beginning of the post more tongue-in-cheek than anything (and I am not the only one with these views), hence, all the discussion of blonde wigs for Mr. Chan. SH, I love blondes, my g/f used to be one, and if the way they handle a rod is an indication for something else ;) they are in my goodbooks.

More of a joke my friend,

Cheers (perhaps I'll meet you at one of these meetings),

TF

I appreciate a good poke at "celebrities",

so the Blonde joke was a great temptation.:D

No disparaging of S&C or women flyfishers intended.

I've only seen the S&C show a couple of times so can't offer more than passing comment.

The ones I did see, they didn't actually catch anything,

And you didn't see them cast or cook

I doubt they are as dumb as they seem on the show though

or the network would not bother to carry it or sponsors give them money,

so I suspect thee "knowledgelable anglers teaches dumb broads" act is planned.

That said, in general, fishing shows are not high on my agenda.

Guys like Italo and Roland and their woohoo attitude can only be handled in small doses

And while exotic locations are interesting, if I'm never going to get there

so all they do is fuel jealosy and unfulfilled desire.

Besides, just like sex, I'd rather fish or tie myself than watch it on the tube.

;)

Edited by dave robinson

Besides, just like sex, I'd rather fish or tie myself than watch it on the tube.

Now the question is DR, does your wife hold the same forementioned views? :D

Guys like Italo and Roland and their woohoo attitude can only be handled in small doses

DR you mean you don't like Italu Nothing and Roland Headcase? My personal favorite: Bob "Open Your Eyes" Izumi, why is that guy always squinting? And he seems to have that racoon syndrome from wearing sunglasses.

TF

I dont mind the show, they do get to fish in some real cool locations, I was just razzing you all because I would love to be in there place too, fishing for a living. I can not get upset over any one elese success.

If they were extreem hotties, there would be complaints like "Dam she was wearing too much on that episode, Ice fishing in a bikini you would think they would flash a guy a little" :devil: