Local Lakes

Paulf

Looks like we're in great shape for Muir Madness no matter what. Could be a little slow this year until the water has had a chance to mix a bit.

Fished Beaumont last night and there were a number of risers in the slush at the edge of the ice 15 or 20 feet from shore. Got a bump or two, but it wasn't until I left that I realized that I was off the hatch. Will tr again midweek with a small midge and I suspect I'll have a little better success.

Sure is late this year....

If this global warming keeps up - I'll freeze to death!

This is to let my northern brethren know that Spring really is on its way despite all the ice on your lakes. It was so nice and warm here today I was forced to go fish the Crow. The picture below is a wild Crow-cus, one of many that I encountered. I won't bore you with pictures of fish, since I didn't take any (fish were caught tho). Terry

Posted Image

How is good is Chickcakoo fishing wise. It looks like a nice lake. Is there only Trout in it or is it a mix? Where is it located?

Chickakoo has winter killed, so the rumor mill has it. It normally winterkills, and is stocked with Brook Trout. Last year a mix stocking was done with Rainbows though and it's located about 45 min west of Edmonton.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/freemaps/alberta/ablist.php (Map)

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fishwildlife/fish...shstocking.aspx (Stocking List)

Wow, when they install the new docks at Muir this year, they might consider moving the old one back into the water as well. :)

Terry, get ready for the SalmonFly hatch down there... should be happening very soon.

Posted Image

Book Link

I would suggest taking the book out of the library, it is a very quick read. I read it years ago and think that although it is interesting that certain bugs hatch at about the same time that certain flowers bloom the best way to tell which insect is active is to just observe what it happening when you get to the water. The book does have some gorgeous pictures but I can't see how knowing that the prairie rose is blooming in Edmonton tells me what fly to use on Stauffer.

Regards,

Tim

Terry, get ready for the SalmonFly hatch down there... should be happening very soon...

I would suggest taking the book out of the library, it is a very quick read. I read it years ago and think that although it is interesting that certain bugs hatch at about the same time that certain flowers bloom the best way to tell which insect is active is to just observe what it happening when you get to the water. The book does have some gorgeous pictures but I can't see how knowing that the prairie rose is blooming in Edmonton tells me what fly to use on Stauffer.

Regards,

Tim

You're right Tim - knowing a bloom in Edmonton doesn't tell you anything about Stauffer. But that's not what he posted. The Crocus is blooming on the Crow (where Terry lives) and the Salmonflies follow the crocus. It's a great indicator of whats coming for those places you visit frequently. Like the Goldeye arriving in the NSR around the same time that the Wildroses bloom. Certainly - watching the water counts, but it's nice to take in the whole picture. Watching the water will certainly tell you what's happening today - but it can't tell you what's happening tomorrow or next week.... but the flowers might.

Regards,

Tim

I have a personally signed copy, and re-read it at least once a year to remind me of visual cues to watch out for. Indeed, the point of the book is to associate these seasonal changes with your favorite home waters. As well... it affirms that you only need ever tye up and fish a Bastard Adams to catch anything in this province.

Greg and Lance,

I like the flowers too, but time of year and temperature are pretty good predictors as well. It only takes a few years of fishing out here to get used to the seasonal changes and the blooming of certain flowers show a seasonal coincidence more than any type of causation. I don't think that the nymphs that hatch into salmonflies look out and see crocus in bloom then decide to become adults.

Besides it may be that particular crocus is a little ahead of the game. According to Vic Bergman:

http://flyfisherman.com/westerncanada/vbcr...est/index2.html

One of the most anticipated insect hatches of the season is Pteronarcys californica or salmonflies. These large stoneflies generally emerge on the river in mid- to late May through early June. Their emergence frequently coincides with runoff, meaning water clarity can be an issue. If visibility is poor, dry-fly fishing is futile. However, if the water is reasonably clear, say a couple of feet or more, dry flies such as Stimulators, Terranastys, and Improved Sofa Pillows catch fish. Even when dry-fly conditions are ideal, nymphs fished along the stream bottom usually outproduce drys. Fish a nymph such as a Brook's Montana, Kaufmann Stone, or Crowsnest Stone as close to the stream bottom as possible, using split-shot if necessary, and a strike indicator to detect hits.

Cheers,

Tim

• 11 months later...