Beaumont

Gravity Orange

The easiest is Upper or lower K lakes. But I've heard levels are way down and fishing might be slow. You could also try Wedge Pond just of highway 40 south of Ribbon creek. Very short walk, but I'm not sure they allow PT boats.

Longer walk , but on the flat is Watridge at the south end of Spray Lakes on the Karst Springs trail.

Short uphill walk is Elbow Lake, off Highway 40 south of the turnoff to upper and lower K lakes. PT boat here would be nice.

Tough uphill hike is Rawson, accessed off the trail around upper K. Lots of fish there though.

Others I haven't tried personally.

Speaking of fishing. :beating:  I am heading down to Kananaskis country tomorrow, and I'm not quite sure which lake I am going to hit.  I found this really cool map on the web  http://www.canmorealberta.com/directory/ab...more_map12.html  and I am weighing my options.  I'd be nice to go to one that I don't really have to hike too far into (hungover) :drinked:  carrying my fishcat and something that hold a few big fish, instead of the little 9-10 inchers.  I thought I might give Gap lake a try....any suggestions?  Thanks

Most of K-Country don't open up until June 15th. Your choices are limited to Sibblad Flats pond and Mount Lorette at this time (and aforementioned K-Lakes and Wedgie). You can also check out Mclean, Allen Bill, and Forgetmenot for more stocked lakes. Just check the regs.

I know of some loverly beaver runs down in this area full of 5 lb brookies (ain't no way I'll ever tell though), but Elbow Lake is a nice hike up to lotsa stunted brookies. Gorgeous trip, but leave the boat.. just bring waders. (Short 1.5 KM vertical hike!)

Of course Cataract Creek is also my home away from home, where I'll be July 24th on my way to the Crowsnest. Can't wait. (The Elbow of course right now would be unfishable.. not to say there aren't fish here though!) ;);)

Oh yeah.. as far as maps.. uh.. Google is Free.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Canmore,+AB&t=k&hl=en (Centred on Canmore).

Longview, AB (Stop for beef jerky here)... and followed the Highwood River into God's Country!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Longview,+AB&t=k&hl=en

Speaking of fishing. :beating:  I am heading down to Kananaskis country tomorrow, and I'm not quite sure which lake I am going to hit.  I found this really cool map on the web  http://www.canmorealberta.com/directory/ab...more_map12.html  and I am weighing my options.  I'd be nice to go to one that I don't really have to hike too far into (hungover) :drinked:  carrying my fishcat and something that hold a few big fish, instead of the little 9-10 inchers.  I thought I might give Gap lake a try....any suggestions?  Thanks

If your gonna fish that Gap lake.... Stay late.... (but don't stay in the park parking lot...My brother had a very unpleasant experience with the park guy there....) Pull black or brown Buggers in the dark....OH YEAH!!! and HANG ON!!! it can take w while but man do those browns hit hard.... A friend of ours caught his first Brown there.... If i remeber correctly it was about 30-32 inches of pure power..... but thats just my thoughts on the lake.... fish with what ever you wish...but definately park in the east parking lot if your gonna stay after dark...

Good luck

Richard S. Doucette

The guy I talked to at Banff told me to go fish Gap lake while I was staying in banff. I wish I had some time so I could get in and fish some of those remote lakes in K country with a 7km hike leading into them, unfortunately drinking and camping is a priority as well...and I've gotta spend some time hanging with some buds. Why not bother with the K-lakes scratch?

I went to Gap lake once last year...didn't see any parking on the east side of the lake though, but I will definately look for it. How late are you talking....like way after dark? Ever had any luck there yourself albertabowhunter?

Thanks for all the tips guys! Cheers :drinked:

The guy I talked to at Banff told me to go fish Gap lake while I was staying in banff. I wish I had some time so I could get in and fish some of those remote lakes in K country with a 7km hike leading into them, unfortunately drinking and camping is a priority as well...and I've gotta spend some time hanging with some buds. Why not bother with the K-lakes scratch?

I went to Gap lake once last year...didn't see any parking on the east side of the lake though, but I will definately look for it. How late are you talking....like way after dark? Ever had any luck there yourself albertabowhunter?

Thanks for all the tips guys! Cheers :drinked:

Yup, I've caught a few whites and a few browns.... but thats about it... My brother fishes it probably twice a year. He really loves the lake.

As for staying late.... as late as you can..... (If you can handle the skeeters when they show... We got pushed off the lake one night... Just way tomany out there.... but that was only once)

As for the two parking areas as you are coming to the lake there is a boat launch right as you get there. If yor gonna stay ofter dark park there. IF not you can go to the park... There are picnic tables and small day sites for use.... but beware of the warden... if its the same one he can be pretty nasty...

If you go good luck....

Richard S Doucette

drinking and camping is a priority as well...and I've gotta spend some time hanging with some buds. Why not bother with the K-lakes scratch?

Umm... to reiterate my comment...

Here are some photos from a friend who was just there...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/refrozenseabass/sets/420545/

Note the water levels...

Went down to Gap lake on the weekend and the weather was really strange. Went from dead calm to windstorm to raining to calm and back to windstorm again....at one time I couldn't compete with the wind with my fins, and I can kick pretty hard. Caught 2 browns though (my first one ever) both on a bead head hare's ear and both right in the middle of the lake....around 19-20". Man those fish hit hard! I would have liked it if it was calm and sunny all day so I could have hit a few on a dry, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Saw a nice one in the shallows though, but couldn't get near to it.

• 3 weeks later...

The recent deluge in the CAlgary area might have changed warter levels a tad

Warter? Is that what you get when you pick up frogs at Klaves?

Seesh... I'm so buying a dictionary for the club libreary and the eddditor.