Goldeye are rising in the NSR

Tee

Goldeye are rising in the River, Managed to hook up a few last night on anything I could throw at them: Foam hoppers, stimulators, EHC, X-Caddis, and a few swinging a soft hackle. I recently started tying them and fished one for the first time last night.

lots o fun anyways.

Spent a little time at the firehole last night. Hooked 4 and landed 2 in about an hour. Only mooneyes though - no Goldeyes. Will take another spin this week and see if they're about.

/g

Scratch,

Did you wade out there or fish it from shore? I've never fly fished the area (only pickerel rig back in the day ( like 2 years ago :) ) I was thinking of heading down there after last night's fun.. you know, they could have been mooneye that i was hooking into, didn't look to closely at them. Whatever they are, they are sure ready to hit a hook.

Scratch:

How's the bottom at the firehole? Mud sucking deep or light covering of the gravel?

How's the hand doing?

The hole is covered, though not completely by skin. I used some newskin and extra bandages and vowed to myself to keep dry. So - it was bearble.

Theres a little silt, but the gravel is fairly clear. It got a solid scour thats for sure. Still a little turbid.

I was catching on burlap stones under and indicator - bouncing along the bottom.... will try again tonight or tomorrow... RB did well last night with 6 plus a pissed off pike. :)

Scratch,

Did you wade out there or fish it from shore? I've never fly fished the area (only pickerel rig back in the day ( like 2 years ago :) ) I was thinking of heading down there after last night's fun.. you know, they could have been mooneye that i was hooking into, didn't look to closely at them. Whatever they are, they are sure ready to hit a hook.

It's a wading spot for sure. Mooneye are Goldeye are very similar. Goldeye tend to be closer to 'frying pan' shaped - whereas moonneye tend to be longer and shorter by comparison. They also tend to me a little smaller. Easiest identifier: Mooneyes eyes are Gold over Silver (Goldeye are pure gold) and Mooneyes will get a purple-pink metallic sheen that goldeye don't tend to have.

Scratch, thats ok, I got to get out there and it was nice, the gold eye were rising, but they all seemed just out of reach. I got a couple swinging a softhackle through the seam right out front of the drainage.