Red Deer River Pontoon Boat Float Trip?

Quentin

Yeah, the more the merrier, of course!

Doesn't look like I can over-night it...but you never know.

Once we're pretty sure who all is coming, we'll start to make a plan for Timings and which vehicles for drop off, and which for pick up.

QT

Yeah, the more the merrier, of course!

Doesn't look like I can over-night it...but you never know.

Once we're pretty sure who all is coming, we'll start to make a plan for Timings and which vehicles for drop off, and which for pick up.

QT

I wont be overnighting for sure. So I will join up in the morning at any given time required.

Some flies we all should carry are as follows.

Larger Caddis Patterns Size 10 to 12 in tan with green bodies, Tan with Black Bodies

Golden Stone Flies adults #4 or 6

Yellow Sallies #14

Lime Sallies # 14

Skating Caddis that can also be swept subsurface #12 or #14 Tan with green bodies.

Trico Clusters Black #14

Hexagina May flies#6-8

PMD #14-16

Ants #10 with and without wings

Beetles Black # 12

Green Stimulators #8 and #10

Brown Drakes or H&L Variants #8 to 10

Streamers and Nymphs

#6 Black Buggers

#6 Brown Buggers

#6 Doc Spratly

#10 Wooley Worms

#10 to #14 BHGRH

#10-#14 Bead Headed Pheasant Tails

Just suggestions!

There's no way I'll have a chance to get many of those tied before I go. I'll have to see what the fly shops have.

But, if I were to find the time to tie 12 flies, which should they be? Sorry for the crappy question after you've already offerred good advice.

QT

Any specific patterns you'd recommend? I did some research, and noticed that Hex and brown drakes tend to be evening/night emergers. Figure we'll have time for an evening float?

Elk-hair caddis a good pattern for here?

QT

Any specific patterns you'd recommend? I did some research, and noticed that Hex and brown drakes tend to be evening/night emergers. Figure we'll have time for an evening float?

Elk-hair caddis a good pattern for here? YES size 10 and 12.

QT

They might be an evening hatch, but you will find spinner out during the morning that died the night before. I am leaving for Cowtown in the morning and wont be back until late thursday. So any details that need to be finalized on when and where we are meeting would be good. We might have time for an evening float we will have to see.

Hey Jim,

Seems you can't receive any new messages. We need to coordinate a morning timing, and vehicle placement. I'd like to get a really early start, which means even real earlier to drop a vehicle down river, and then come back upstream to get started.

Clean up your message box, and I'll send you my cell number to coord the details.

QT

Gary...tried to message you as well. Says you can't receive messages. Is the messanger broken? Have I been banned?

Anyway...here's what I'm thinking for timings. Tell me if they're too early.

I don't think I'll be overnighting the night before, and I can't get away with it Saturday night (daughter's B-day party on Sunday).

Is 0630 too early to be floating away? That means we'd have to drop off the boats at 0600, drive a vehicle to the pick up point, and then return. Which means I'd have to leave St. Albert about 0330...

Thoughts?

Likely take an hr or so to get everything ready

Like yourself I have never floated the Red Deer so really have no honest opinion. Since you have done the leg work I am following your lead.

Rumor has it that browns are early to rise and late to bed with a big Ciesta in between.

Hope the water levels come down, I was in Red Deer Tuesday and it was high and dirty. It does appear to be coming down some, the rains seem to be slowing up. Have fun Guys love to be with you, but I'm on call.

Dan

Timing is OK with me. We can all meet at the dam at 0600 hrs. Two guys can take one vehicle down to the rr20 the rest can keep rigging up at the dam. I drove across the red deer about 2 hours ago. It has dropped and is clearing up. If they have no more rain in that drainage system we should have exceptional water ahead of us for Saturday.

I'm very excited. 6 am it is.

My friend couldn't make himself available to use your water skeeter. Anyone else up for it?

Garhan, do you still have a friend coming? Four of us, total, then?

QT

Unfortunately my friend will not be coming along. So if you want to go together Saturday morning we could do that, but I would prefer hauling everything down in my truck. We can meet up at the dam on the southside in the day use grounds. Rip the pontoons off and do the shuttle.

I'll keep it easy, and I'll bring my truck too. That makes logistics a bit easier, and I can have it all packed up the night before, with no cross-loading, or forgetting something in the truck :)

A bit of rain in the forcast.... bring a jacket.

QT