Aloha from Michigan

OneEyeCharlie

Greetings. I may be moving to Fort Sask in the not to distant future. I thought I'd join this site and hopefully pick up some general tips about the species available and areas to fish. It will be a little different from my current locale. Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a lake or river; including some Blue Ribbon fisheries.

I see that there are some shops in the Edmonton area selling fly fishing and tying supplies. Thank you, Google.

Any suggestions for the North Saskatchewan river in the Fort Sask area?

I haven't fish that section on the NSR.  The fish tend hangout around any storm water outfall.  You can catch Walleye, Mooneye, Goldeye and Northern Pike.  The walleye numbers in the river seem to be down over the last 3 years.  I find egg sucking leach on a sink tip effective for them.  Mooneye and Goldeye can provide some dry fly action in the summer. Otherwise a woolly bugger about two feet below a bobber can really effective when they aren't rising. They rarely rise on a sunny day.  There are suckers to catch as well on nymph.

• 2 months later...

A brief followup. I was in Fort Sask in early June for a couple of weeks. Fished the NSR, and waded the Sturgeon where it spills out into the NSR. No luck with the Goldeye or Mooneye, but did catch a number of "hammer handle" and larger Northerns. Good fun on a 5 wt rod. Thanks for the info, Fishlover. Hope to be back in August.