Itchy&Firey's Dolberg CSI-Klave (Non-NLFT Event)

Scratch

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex Ballast got up early anyways on Friday and went fishing with Dave in the Chiquita bananaannanaana. Our breakfast was interrupted by the noise of the "Honey Wagon"... no wait a "Stocking Truck" which dumped 20,000 trout in the lake.

Breakfast over!

( Scratch has all the video on this event! )

post-22-1117504524_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile (when all the stocking was going on, and much drooling on the dock) on the other side of the lake, Dave and Ballast got into fish. Alex landed a HUGE fish, and still has great hair.. even with his ball cap spun around like that. Yo fish! Fish!

post-22-1117504780_thumb.jpg

We also hooked up with "Stew" (a.k.a. Snores Like Grizzly Bear).. and around the fire (leave out incriminating story about firewood acquisition here)... much rejoicing ensued... long.. long.. into the night... fade to black. Plop!

post-22-1117505116_thumb.jpg

AFTER... I regained consiousness a day later... I learned that George, and Rod (or Ron?) had come out to fish on Saturday and made out like bandits on the water. Stew also did really well in the "honey hole".

Doug Cockwill and Joe also joined our band of Merry Men for a quiet evening around the fire on Saturday night. Bob... drank water that night.. and did not take his boat on the water for sea sickness reasons that day. In fact, it was noted that Bob had pumped the boat up on Thursday.. but still had yet to put it on the water. :boat:

Bob (see his sig line) was not quite dead yet, and was feeling much better later on... :barf: ... and was looking forward to fishing all day on Sunday.

The one fly competition with the boyz never got completed properly.. but the count was in the hundreds again. Evil Weevil, RB Emerger, Docs Xmas Chronnie, and Hare's Ears nymphs taking the lions share of fish.

Sunday night Brian headed back to the city, and Stew the bear started snoring early. So.. we did a CSI.. and found some strange glowing creature in the woods that strangely resembled Yo Balllast.

About 2 AM when we wandered outside the campfire's glow and saw Northern Lights zipping across the sky. So, Ballast and I again grabbed cameras... and shot pics till the sun came up.

Monday noon we packed up, and headed home... leaving a tired Ballast (good thing that's all he had to do) and Dave out on the water fishing (out of radio range, or they had not turned them on.. so no idea how they did).

SO -- until next year! Now.. must send photos to NASA. I'll post more photos to FLICKR in the coming days and post a slideshow link to the rest of the hi-jinks. Scratch has awesome video of the entire stocking of Dolberg for those who've never seen the process before.

[ Red Ranger Bob, And StarMan Alex Ballast (below) got some worthy pics! ]

post-22-1117506655_thumb.jpg

I had a great time(caught my first fish of the season :clap: ),

And it was nice to meet a few members of the club that I hadn't met before(Lance, Jeff, Greg, Alex, and Doug)

Greg creepily enough, reminded me exactly of my potential brother-in-law...Which is a good thing, because the other guy has a good handle on life, is cool

I learned how to nymph fish from stew :kicks:

Hope to go fishing with all of you again!

Cool, somehow I managed to be in two places at once on Saturday! :D I think it must have been a different Doug that was out a Dolberg on the weekend although I probably should have been there. Sounds like it was a great trip and some real beauties were caught.

I did a cast and blast trip in the mountains over the weekend, starting out west and then venturing south scouting out some new streams and hiking to a bunch of different alpine lakes. The high country lakes are in great shape right now. There were alot of damsels, dragons, and callibaetis hatching over the weekend and I found a few nice gems that I'll be returning to very soon.

High country lake....

Posted Image

my fish were definately not Dolberg caliber...

Posted Image

I found scores of these on one of the streams I scouted. I know what I'll be tying on in a couple of weeks when it opens up!

Posted Image

It was a great weekend but I'm definately going to have to give Dolberg a try one of these days!

Cool, somehow I managed to be in two places at once on Saturday! :D  I think it must have been a different Doug that was out a Dolberg on the weekend although I probably should have been there.

Hmm... Doug... must have been alchohol posioning... (the 98% proof camera lens cleaner Alex had me spraying into the fire).... or one to many fishin buddies named Doug and Dave for me to keep track of. Just like one too many Brians. :lol:

You shoulda seen the Dragon Fly & Damsel Fly hatch happening at Dolberg too.

PHENOMENAL!

I'll find a photo here of the "Doug" I mean.. sorting through over 820 images shot on the weekend. Ahh.. here it is... this person on far left. <_<

"I've got a photographic memory.. unfortunately... so do others." :(

post-22-1117513930_thumb.jpg

I learned how to nymph fish from stew :kicks:

Everything he told you was SOLID! I remember that's how we hooked up.. was listening to this "Stranger" giving you tips on casting. Chatted a bit, and turns out he's from Calgary and has over 30 years experience. So I invited him up to the campfire that night. Later, Scratch exchanged phone numbers.. we gotta get Stew up to the club sometime.

He also knows Michael and Brian.. in fact Brian.. Stew has your NLFTF vest for when you get back up there this week.

Maximum occupancy for the dock?

Exceeded (I'm sure) while watching the STALKER truck arrive. Yeah.. some folks got their feet wet. (Not like Mike P. I hear!) :lol: Speaking of docks... way to go Scratch getting after that poacher (YET AGAIN THIS YEAR) with FOUR RODS in the water!

Jep, so many images to sort through yet... it's all just a blur now... really... it was. :lol:

Need some sleep now.. more to come!

:goodnight:

post-22-1117514140_thumb.jpg

The dragon hatch was astounding. Mike and Brian got to watch a hatch for an hour and a half - from emergence from the water to the exoskeletal exit.

The ones hatching were 99% gomphus (Gomphidae) dragons (the nymphs look like this... http://www.usask.ca/biology/skabugs/dragon/gomphid.JPG)

The emergence was incredible - starting about 10:00, and by 2pm - this is what everything near the water looked like! This is actually the anchor rope on my Pontoon!

post-22-1117519221_thumb.jpg

Lance fantastic Pictures. :thumbup: Looks like a good time was had by all. :monkey::drinked::monkey: I will try for next year. I just have to much around the house this year. This is major paint and stain year and I want to get as much done before June 15 as I can as I have major fishing plans on some of our western streams.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Hola

Wish I coulda made it. Daughters B-day kinda got in the way.

After seeing all yer pics RB I am going to have to come up with a way to pay her off next year sos I can be in a few of those pics.

Sno

Posted Image

I just finished uploading The Dolberg Lake Klave CSI (Canadian Stockerfest Investigation) photos to FLICKR. In all 850 shots were taken and video by Scratch. Of those I have posted 423 of the publishable crime scene photos. Enjoy! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangerbob/sets/414110/

As a bonus, here are 74 more images of Northern Lights as a slideshow! Really cool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangerbob/sets/414772/show/

:rangerbob:

Look forward to seeing photos from others soon!