Countdown to Muir - May 1, 2006

Doc

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranger Bob just called to announce that he is standing on the shore of Muir Lake, fly rod in hand, waiting for the stroke of midnight. On May 1, 2005 at 12:01 a..m. the first cast will be made. 50 minutes to go.

Rick

I'm the same way as you with the wind ...but the weather report is looking not so bad.

If I had a van to sleep in I just might have joined in on the festivities at the lake.

We might just see each other there tomorrow.

Vince

• 9 months later...

64 more days 'til Muir opens for the 2006 fishing season.:kicks:

Last year my biggest trout was 19 inches caught off the dock with a floating docman in October after a day on the water (I just couldn't get enough that day). This year we'll finally see some brutes breaking the 20 inch mark. :clap:

Here's to a great year at a great lake :cheers: cheers

Doc :beer:

Edited by Doc

Sheet. I will miss my first Muir opening - Kelly and I are going on Safari in April and we won't be back until May 13. However I will be there on the 14th, nursing jet lag with some of Alberta's finest.

Just to reflect on that May 1 2005 to October 31 2005 season, in comparison to the 2004 one; I would have to say that the trout ca. 2005 were largely acting as they were supposed to. By that I mean that when just about every insect came off, the fish were focused on the right things at the right time. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in Muir during 2004 because the fish seemed to be targeting big things that moved instead of la nourriture du jour. And of course back in 2004 I was using la nourriture du jour with a ‘perfect’ presentation to try and catch fish – but they were interested in big furry things that moved in funky ways.

Fast forward to 2005: the fish were in the groove, they knew the food and were happy to see it in front of them. So happy that they bit and bit and bit any presentation that was a reasonable imitation of the active food. I would safely say that I caught about 30% more fish (per angler hour) in 2005 over 2004. I fish by the information outlined in the Education Centre – hell I wrote most of it – and it was sure nice to see that the fish at Muir fell into line with trout in any mature lake once they know what type of food was on the table.

It would be safe to say that once fish are in a lake for a year or two that they are more in tune with the food supply of that particular body of water. If you go out to Muir in May and are catching less than 3 fish an hour, I would suggest that you drop by the education centre for a little refresher training.

Cheers,

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think the ice will be off for the opening.... South buck was over 2 feet today.... and thats an hour south still....

Then again, the open water from the aerators will help open it I guess....

Later,

Richard

May 1 and still ice?

I doubt it. That's more than a month away.

If we get two weeks of warm weather, with our current sun angle

the aerator holes will get big pretty quick.

As a matter of fact, a week of warmish weather

would make me think twice about going onto the ice at Muir.

Those aerators circulate a lot of water that would be exposed to warm air

and would eat out the ice from underneath.

Hello All

Im new to this forum and just found out about Muir lake in the past few weeks. Just moved back from a few years in Texas. Im looking forward to get out and do some fly fishin once again. Quick question about muir I have a 14ft Zodiac would that be welcomed on the lake..

Thanks

A 14 ft zodiak would fit right in with Barry White's drift boat and Dave's large pram.

Just remember,there's a speed limit and electric motor only would be appreciated..

It's a small lake so those are reasonable things.

You'd be even more welcome if there was room in the boat for a friend.

Only condition is that you blow up the Zodiak with your mouth...no pumps :lol:

just kidding.... if you have an electric motor, will you pull me to the other side of the island? I want to save my energy for casting...

;)

Richard

Not a problem I have a teenager with lots of hot air :)

just kidding.... if you have an electric motor, will you pull me to the other side of the island? I want to save my energy for casting...

Yes I have a electric and will pull you to the other side :)

Thanks for the quick replys

;)

Richard

Not a problem I have a teenager with lots of hot air :)

Yes I have a electric and will pull you to the other side :)

Thanks for the quick replys

;)

Richard

Yesssiree! :lol: :clap:

Let's have the "Scratch Lands a Whopper" pool. :wave_smile:

Nearest day and hour up to, but not past, the netting time. :catch:

We could do it like a 50/50, set the price at $2 per guess, :blink:

with 1/2 the proceeds going to the Weiner :kicks:

and the other 1/2 to a bottle of good single malt :drinked:

to help Pops while away his prolonged non-fishing hours. :fishing::goodnight: