Muir Watch

Doc

Took a run out to Muir this afternoon.

Both aerators are working fine. :clap:

As Mike said in his earlier report, there are tracks heading towards the

open water.

While there, as I was getting ready to leave, I noticed two dogs playing at the edge of the open water on the north side. Looks like both, animals and people like to venture close to the open water.

I snapped this picture of the north unit, you can clearly see tracks towards the open water.

Please do not venture beyond the markers.

Went to Muir today,

Everything was is good shape, both aerators running fine and all of the signs and posts were up. I noticed only 1 fire pit and a whole lot less beer cans. I would say that it is not the party spot it used to be. I also saw a couple of empty condum packages - it is nice to know that they are playing safe.

The only problems I noted were that one of the rocks blocking the educatioin centre and walk was moved, I also notice that the no fires sign had been removed.

Regards,

Tim

I was just happy that the doors were on the bathrooms, I didn't go look inside. Actually your picture is the first time I have seen the inside of them.

That particular no parking sign has been dragged around in similar shape for about 10 months so it is in situation normal.

When you compare it to last year it is in about 1000% better shape. Just about every time we were out there between March and May (and there were a bunch of them) we picked up dozens of beer cans. One morning the bathroom doors and some of its siding were in the fire pit, and one night somone ripped off the doors to the main breaker. Things is relative and we have had way less problems this winter (touch wood) than last. Thanks for your pictorial record.

Regards,

Tim

Actually,

I think the gaping hole came from the fire that someone started on the dock last winter. Just a guess though.

I think there are some kind of frost heaves on the dock because it seems that is has lifted on the shore side.

I don't see a gate on the park entrance, there are a number of people who walk their dogs or just go for a stroll. It can be a pretty busy spot and I actually noticed that the dog walkers out numbered the anglers a couple times last year. With the expansion of the park and the future addition of cross-country ski trails I think it will be more busy next winter.

I do think the county is going to post a no quad/motorcycle/skidoo in the park but don't quote me on it.

Cheers,

Tim

Tak Shimizu was down at the lake today and reported that both aerators were running but some of the posts have fallen over and this means the cord running between the some of the posts is now down.

As of today, there is water at the shore of the lake and the ice does not seem that safe. The weather forecast shows cooler temperatures starting Tuesday (low of -20 high of -7) and we were thinking of trying to put the posts back up sometime next week (wed - thur) or maybe on the weekend - depending on the weather.

I am busy but Tak said he was willing to go and just needs a couple of people. The idea would be to have one person spot from shore and two people walk our flat-bottom boat around the perimeter of the posts and repair as needed. You keep one foot in the boat and the other on the ice.

Please let me know if you have some time Wed, Thur or on the weekend.

Depending on the weather it looks like we will be taking the aerators out before mid-April.

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to Muir today and found that the posts which had sunk into the soft, mushy ice are now solidly frozen into position. I think that back when we had our run of global warming, about 1/4 of the posts melted through the ice/slush mix and are now just peeking over the suface.

The upshot is that there is still enough of a barrier to keep all but the Darwin candidates away from the open water and that as the weather warms we will have fun fishing the posts out of the ice.

I am going to tenatively going to suggest that we take the aerators out on Aprl 16 - more details to follow.

Can anyone volunteer to take a peek at them during the weekend of April 2? If we get a warm snap next week, we may have to re-arrange the schedule.

Regards,

Tim

I was out at Muir today and things have sure changed since the last picture. Hardly any snow and I was able to walk out to the far aerator in my sandals. We have a FESA meeting tomorrow night and I am going to suggest that we look at taking them out next Saturday or Sunday.

It appears that the ice is melting away from the shore and that the ice is also getting pretty thin. The posts are lying on their sides and a few of them will be floating in open water in the coming days.

The only thing I worry about now is that the ice goes out and the barrier line gets caught in the aerator. The forecast is for 12 on Wed and 16 on Thur so I may be putting out a request that someone takes a peek at them if they are out there on Thursday.

Regards,

Tim

I stopped by Muir this afternoon and the ice is really starting to go. I was there on Sunday too and even since then I can notice a big difference in the amount of open water.

It's now possible to get a boat out to the aerator nearest the dock but it will probably be a few more days until we can reach the far aerator (unless we carry a canoe down to that side) as there is lots of open water around the aerators and the shore but the narrows is still pretty solid. Some of the barrier posts are already in the water and the other ones will probably be joining them by Friday at the latest. I would not worry about the barrier lines catching in the aerator as the wind has pushed them all quite far away.

There was quite a bit of garbage around the parking lot so I picked some of it up, including a used crackpipe that greeted me when I got out of my truck. I don't even want to mention what the inside of the outhouses look like either. :barf: Somebody has really poor aim with #2 if you catch my drift. :barf: So in conclusion the lake looks really good but the facilities are going to need some work.

Just noticed that Parkland Country needs to update their website.

Muir Lake Park

* Self Registered Picnic Sites

* Fire pits

* Washrooms (wheel chair accessible)

* Garbage receptacles

* Picnic tables

* Boat Launch

* Fish cleaning stand

* Parking facilities

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Tourism/Day-Use.htm

They also have no photo posted for Muir too. Maybe FESA can say something to them?

MEH.. I just sent them a note:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: April 7, 2005 2:05 PM

To: 'webmaster@parklandcounty.com'

Subject: Website Update

There are no fires allowed anymore, and uhm.. new regs for the fishing out there since FESA

stocked, and hence no fish cleaning stand. This gives the wrong image of the place.. which..

there appears to be none posted on your page either?

=================================================

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=...findpost&p=6491

Just noticed that Parkland Country needs to update their website.

Muir Lake Park

* Self Registered Picnic Sites

* Fire pits

* Washrooms (wheel chair accessible)

* Garbage receptacles

* Picnic tables

* Boat Launch

* Fish cleaning stand

* Parking facilities

http://www.parklandcounty.com/Tourism/Day-Use.htm

Lance Taylor

NLFT Member

Shudder.. twitch... ;);)

I can't get enough of Google Maps. Just type in Muir Lake... and voila.. it comes up.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Muir+Lake&ll...,2.730103&hl=en

Click on Satellite to view the Satellite view if you can't pick out the water bodies. Toggle back and forth even!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Muir+Lake&ll...30103&t=k&hl=en

Twitch! Twtich! I could invision a whole new set of links being posted on the website now.

Oh look, I can see "Tim Hornton's" from here! :rolleyes:

post-28-1112904705_thumb.jpg

Both aerators are now off the lake. Most of the warning signs are in but still a few we couldn't remove due to ice. A lot of open water right now, it was like looking at a slot machine with a 1000 free spins :wacko: But I resisted (Doc now waiting for a pat on the back :laugh: ).

Cheers :cheers:

Doc