Fly Tying for Junior Forest Wardens

Michael Dell

I am organizing a fly tying seminar for the Junior Forest Wardens from Stony Plain on Thursday February 10. This will be an evening program. We need volunteers to work one on one with the kids teaching them how to tie a fly.

Please e-mail me at mdell@ecn.ab.ca if you can help.

Thanks,

Michael

p.s. This is the same group of Jr. Forest Wardens that helped us out last spring by cleaning up that big brush pile at Muir Lake.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

This is coming up next week. Thanks to everyone who has stepped forward.

I will send e-mails to everyone who volunteered as a reminder.

I have a map that I will distribute at tonight's meeting.

We are going to Rosenthal Church west of Stony Plain for 7 pm on Feb. 10.

To get there from highway 16 go through Spruce Grove and in Stony Plain turn south between the A&W and IGA. Head south to Township Road 524, then turn west. Rosenthal Church is just before Range Road 13.

We have 24 kids, but we will be taking them in turns.

Thanks,

Michael :clap:

Lance,

Thanks for finding the map. I have a handmade one that I was handing out last night at the meeting.

The church is 5 km west of Stony Plain (just like on Lance's map).

I hadn't thought about raffle prizes. In a group like this I would prefer to make sure that everyone got something to take away. I will talk to Brian about this.

Michael

I got tools and equipment for at least three more stations Mike. If we all bring our own vices we'll be fine. But yeah, the club should have an even dozen of these in inventory.

What patterns you got planned?

Edited by RangerBob

Needless to say - in my current state - I don't want to infect a bunch of kids - however - if you in a pinch for volunteers Mike - don't hesitate to call. 993-7223

This sucks.... missing too much. Arrgh... Missed Stillwater - Missed Calgary, missed helping out here...

Enough to make a guy feel guilty - I know the fish Karma gods are gonna take it out on me this season. :(

Another great outing. :kicks: Just seeing the kids faces light up when they see their fly that they tied says it all. Even the adults get into the action and have the same amount of fun. Many different versions of woolly buggers were tied from what I saw. There were also many different names going around from the standard woolly bugger to the crazy bugger to the colorful bugger and so on. The kids were very creative.

A big thank you goes out to all involved. :thumbup:

Paulf

I'd like to thank all the guys for coming out. As Ranger Bob said, Lance and Nemo got there before the rest of us. Brian B, Brian H, Dave M, Dave T, Bill, Rick, Ron, Terry, Les, John, Paul, Dan and Bob came to teach the Junior Forest Wardens how to tie flies. (I hope I got everyone.) Thanks for supporting this.

We also thanked the kids for doing the clean-up at Muir Lake last spring. And they volunteered to help again this year. Brian H. proposed that we offer a casting lesson for them sometime in May.

I would also like to thank Superfly for supplying the vises and materials.

Michael