Fly Shops

Terry H

I spent last weekend in Calgary and among other things, hit all but one of the flyshops. I got to Bow River Troutfitters, Country Pleasures, Russell's, and Fish Tales on Saturday and The Fishin Hole and Wholesale Sports on Sunday. I'd have made it a clean sweep :kicks: except West Winds was closed on Sunday :curse: . Had a blast, got a bunch of new materials and toys :clap: (e.g. magic tool for $32.95) and dropped $xxx :eek: .

Aside from making everyone :alien: with envy, I have an observation to report and I would be interested in how others feel. I went to the Fishin Hole and Wholesale Sport out of curiosity, since I normally don't hit those places in Calgary, assuming I wouldn't find much that was different from their stores here. Was I ever wrong. The range of flytying stuff at both these stores far exceeds what they have in their Edmonton stores, and surprise surprise, the shelves were fully stocked. Why so different from their Edmonton stores? I assume it's one or more of the following; 1. lack of competition, 2. limited market, 3. they don't give a damn. Your thoughts. Terry

Ah Lance so right. River Runs throught it. This town is noted for its Walleye and ice fishiing thats what all the shops cater to. Oh for Denny's again. Give Lorne at the Fishing Centre a shot as he will try and get things in. I can get some things but again that takes time and some cash flow which at time is limited. Timing is also a factor as it take me a bit longer to get things in.

Anyway see all tonight

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

See one of my previous posts titled "Charity Case" to observe my frustration with the fishin' hole. I have to agree with you Lance, that its all about the Bow. No different then in Fernie they have the Elk. My opinion the Fishin' Hole sucks and should be embarassed with some of the product they have or don't have on the shelf. And its a bit of a drive for me to get to the Fishing Center or Wholesale sports, and then even after the drive they often don't have what I'm looking for. I've discussed many times with my Dad that if we were in a position where we could afford it we would almost definately open up a fly shop of our own here in the city. But alas, it is but a dream. Even though if I built it, they would come.

TF

I've been dealing with Tom at Rockymountainflies for about 3 years, very good service, prices seem good, he sells alot on e-bay where I first found him. Sorry Pacres I didn't read this post first, I have alot to catch up on....Kerry