Jump to content

Invasive Species Follow-Up


Recommended Posts

Following last evening's excellent presentation by Janine Higgins of AEP she has kindly followed up on some of our questions as follows:


Thanks again for having me out last night - I hope your members gained some new knowledge regarding invasive species and will continue to help us protect our waterbodies by following clean+drain+dry practices.


I wanted to provide more information regarding some of the issues and clear up some questions that came up last night. Please send this information along to your members.


Whirling Disease - General Information - http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/whirling-disease/default.aspx


CFIA detected locations of the disease - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/reportable/whirling-disease/alberta-2017/eng/1492020203162/1492020203648


Information on permitting through CFIA for whirling disease - Farmers will not be affected by the permitting.

The following are examples of facilities and activities that will require a permit:

  • Provincially-licensed aquaculture facilities that are designated as Commercial A in Alberta and moving live or dead finfish or gametes for cryopreservation, culture, research, and release into natural waterways.
  • Diagnostic laboratories that are receiving live or fresh dead or frozen finfish, or the pathogen of whirling disease from the Bow River watershed or from Alberta.
  • Other types of laboratories that participate in water toxicity or benthic testing programs, for example, and are receiving live or fresh dead or frozen finfish, or freshwater sediments.
  • Research activities that are utilizing live or fresh dead or frozen finfish, the vector of whirling disease, the pathogen of whirling disease, or freshwater sediments from the Bow River watershed or from Alberta.

Application of pesticides in water - As mentioned, herbicides (other than herbicides containing Diquat - see section 12 on Page 18 for restrictions. Additional approvals are also required for the use of Diquat in water.) cannot be applied within the water. More details can be found under the “Pesticide Application Within 30 Horizontal Metres of an Open Body of Water” - Section 16, on page 15 within the Environmental Code of Practice for Pesticides under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement act. Aquatic herbicides must undergo extensive research and registration with the federal government to be allowed for use in water. This is to ensure that they will not cause environmental harm. Currently there is only one aquatic herbicide registered in Canada (Diquat).


Information on mandatory boat inspection stations - http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-public-use/boating/watercraft-inspections/default.aspx

The Fisheries Act does state that any conveyance carrying watercraft, docks or equipment that has been in the water must stop at inspection stations. This includes inflatables, non-motorized and motorized watercraft. Inspections are mandatory for all passing watercraft in Alberta when stations are open.


Waterton Lakes ban on motorized watercraft


If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact me. Thanks!


Janine Higgins, Community Engagement Lead

Community Engagement Branch – Central Service Area

Phone (780) 643-1780| Cell (587) 986-6694

9th Floor, 9915-108 Street, Edmonton, T5K 2G8

Alberta Environment & Parks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...