Go Fish - Go To Jail!

All you can do I think is take the time to let your MP know that you oppose the Bill as it's written. Better for individuals (as many as possible) to do this than have a collective response from a group I believe. I think most of us believe in humane treatment for animals but the wording of this Bill, if passed, could impact the way of life of millions. For anglers, for example, it would seem to make it a criminal offence for anyone to catch a fish (because to do so, even if you release it, arguably causes pain and harm to an animal), let alone use a live minnow, leech or worm as bait! There's similar implications for hunters, trappers, livestock farmers, commercial fishermen, police dog handlers and others.

That being said I know there's opposition to the Bill being expressed by other groups and by the Conservative party, and private members bills do not often get passed, but I think it's worth the time to let your MP know you have a concern.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you can count the number of private members bills that have passed in the last hundred years on one hand. Secondly, this would end all meat production in the country completely. If you think that is going to happen I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. There is not a hope that this bill will ever see the light of day.

Agree that the likelihood is remote given the nature of this bill. However, I'm not sure we have enough experience with a Liberal government to know what they might do and 24 private members' bills have been passed by Parliament in the last two years, ww.lop.parl.gc.ca/ParlInfo/compilations/houseofcommons/Legislation/privatememberspublicbills.aspx?Language=E

I think it never hurts to remind those with the power to set the rules that we value recreational angling and we're paying attention to what they're doing!

Peter