Fishing The Columbia Valley

Rainbow

Thanks to Dan & Paul, it was my first time fishing in the Columbia Valley this past week. Six days, six different lakes. The weather cooperated except for a few hours of wind on Premier and Alces. Hard to keep up with those young fellas. Fishing and fitness wise.

post-103-0-60068600-1430679886_thumb.jpg

Here's Johnny!!!! The old fart......

John was sooo excited , he was tossing fish !!!!

A lot if fun and I finally learned how to jig for fish with chironomids !!!!! Those Frazer Valley where hogs!!!

DSCN4224.JPG

post-103-0-69647800-1430691982_thumb.jpg

We caught 30+ brookies Friday afternoon and they had Black Spot. As Paul described, "It looks like they are covered with poppy seeds." Black Spot is a parasite, Apophallus brevis https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/health/vol2issue8.htm . We released what we caught but if one is keeping some of their catch it is good to know that cooking kills the parasite.

So with this being said , this is one reason one should always wash all equipment as not to transport unwanted disease or weedlife from one body of water to another. Thanks John for bringing this forward.

Dan

• Like 1

You're welcome, it was a good time Vince, but I also found out I have so much more to learn about this sport. One fella on Premier was so consistent with the Chironomids (one in the net every10 minutes) that I thought it must be the master from Summit.