Fish Caught

DennisS

What a beautiful day for fishing. Headed to one of my favourite Grayling streams. No not the Freeman. The water wasn't to bad the clarity was off a bit but one could still see the bottom. Decided to do a hopper Dropper with a Black Fat Albert and a new nymph I am working on. The Hair Banded weevil(purple) First pool picked up a very small grayling on the Hair Band Weevil Then nothing so I decided to head up stream since I had never been that way before. Went through some pretty nice runs. I hadn't seen a rise yet but decided to put on a Elk Hair caddis. That's when I notice I had a bit of a problem, couldn't find my glasses. I had put them in my shirt pocket but they wer'ent there. I looked all over but no luck. So needless to say it was interesting tying to thread a size 16 elk hair onto the tippet. After finally getting the fly on started fishing. I had started up stream when I heard a slurp then notice a rise by a clump of willows on the far bank. I cast the caddis to the the far bank and dam fish on. A nice 10in Grayling. I gentle slid it back into the the water and prceed up to the next bend. Not much happening so decided to go back to the hopper dropper system. I put the black Fat Albert back on and put on a true Evil Weevil. Went up to the head of the pool and cast up and across. Nice cast and let the fly drift down and all of sudden there was a Gulp, fly disappeared. It startled me and I yank on the old rod and pulled the fly right out of his mouth. Crap missed. Automatic reflex cast the fly right back to the same spot and Curslam he hit the Fat Albert again this time I hooked him. Had him maybe 5sec and he spit the hook and damed if he didn't hammer the evil Weevil as it went by Fish on again. No I didn't snag him. The fly was in his mouth. This time managed to keep him on. Thank god I did this was a very nice fat 14in + fish. Day was made even though I had lost my glasses. I cast back in and damed if I didn't catch another just a bit smaller than the first one. Ended up catch 3 or 4 Garyling in the 11 to 14in range in this pool. Went up to the next bend and it had a very nice riffle dropping into a nice long pool. I decided to started at the back and worked my way up and what a hoot. The Grayling went crazy on the Fat Albert. That is the 2nd time in the last several weeks that his fly had proved a fish catcher. The fish were all over 12in exccept the 2 RMW that I caught, I lost count of how many grayling I had caught at this time. I ended up loseing my evil weevil, I had a bright green Hair Band Weevil so I put it on and wham fish on so this one worked just about as good as the evil weevil. A good day was had at this pool. I headed up to the next pool and proceed to loss my whole setup to the logs on the far bank. I got thinking that for some reason the grayling we're liking black so I had been working on a new All foam pattern called the Bulkly Skater. It's a Steelhead Dry fly but of course I had to Dennisize it to make it work in this country. i scaled it down to a size 12 Klinkhamer hook and then added rubber leggs and Bingo there it was. So I put that on and first cast bango fish on. Again a nice 12 or 13 inch Grayling. . After a bit I decided that it was time to head back to the vehicle so I decided to cut across country and hit the trail in. So with a bit of bush wacking found the quad trail and heaed back to the vehicle.

It's was a great day not by numbers but by the size of the fish caught. Of the Grayling I caught a couple were in the 10 or 11 inch range and the rest were 12 to 14 inches. Caught a couple of RMW fish and used a couple of new flies that seem to work. What more can a guy ask for in a day of fishing. Had a great drive home

Made it back by 6:30pm

So a good day was had Some nice fish caught.

No pictures were taken

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

• Like 1

Not this weekend Dan, for me this weekend have to do a bunch of work on the trailer. See what it ends up costing. That will determine if we stay here in Alberta or venure back to BC.

Steve I enjoy trying out new patterns I will evenually post these 2. The Bulkley Skater speacially. I might try and scale it down not sure. That hook makes it ride very nice on the surface.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find your glasses Dennis ? Nice posting by the way .

FlyRod.