Bear Spray & Bangers

RangerBob

Hey RangerBob

Last year before going to the Brazeau trip I picked up some Bear spray and while I have not had to use it I have to say that I feel good having it with me. In fact, on all my trips to the Edson area I do not step onto a stream without it. I wear it like a western 6 gun on my side.

The Bear Bangers however, is a whole different issue. I did a lot of web surfing and what I learned is that the United States forestry service does not recommend the use of any Bear Banger device. Firstly, they have had numerous injuries due to missfires etc but most importantly they have found that if the banger discharges overhead of the bear or behind it the bear will run toward you not away from you.

Having read that I have chosen not to use them but I do know a bunch of guys in our club that do carry them.

Thought I would pass this on - let me know what your thoughts are.

Vince

Howdy Chester ;) . I sure woodna wana run ita u on the wata . This may be a good topic for one of our meetings . I was told , just for precaution to have in my possession , will up at Lake of the falls , some BEAR BANGERS. Did not need them but I think there a great idea. Dennis also had some BEAR SPAY . We were not together fishing all the time, and I left the bangers at camp with the wify,incase of untruders. :ph34r:

Had a great time on the water last night (NSR), MOST of the guys left just when I was startin to have fun. BRIAN I even outfished Arron :D . I was nailing then on the Sparkle Pupa, caught some nice goldys in the 17 " , just when I was going to pull out for the next cast. Gotta run, Many tight lines. :fishing::fishing:

Hmmmmmmm. Bangers and spray. Interesting topics indeed. We'll have to look into this some more. RB, let us know which way you decided to go. Like you said, there are so many to choose from.

Hot off the press"Dipperdan outfished Aaron" :blink: . Did Aaron have a fly on the end of his line. :lol: LOL :lol: . Was Dipperdan fishing with hardware ;) ?nudge nudge wink wink. Congratulations Dan :cheers: . Sure glad I wasnt there, sounds like it was your night of fishing.

See you later

Paulf

DipperDan

You know, if I could wear a 6 gun I would. I use a hip water belt type of thing. Right side holds water and bear spray - left side holds my knife and various other goodies. Some areas I fish I feel like the Terminator. It just makes me feel better. A false sence of security but ...oh well.

The Bear Banger subject is one that should be explored. From what I understand some marketing type guy gave them that name as a way of selling the units which for the longest time were not selling. They were always intended to be a signalling device only. More research required.

See you at our next meeting.

Vince

MmMMMMmm Pyro and munitions. All we need is extra beers - an we're rednecks!

The bear bangers are quite effective as seen in some video we picked up on the web - however, they as all other things are intended to get some space between you and the bear. They are only there for some forage and curiosity. If you are outside of 50 feet - theres no 'personal space' issue - and I believe that the banger in the air, and the air horn will certainly convince them to forage elsewhere. Should one decide to be closer - we'll huddle around bob with the bear spray.

Ultimately - if's it's our time, it's our time - of course - worst case - the remington may be a solid influencer if the worst scenario.

I don't know - I'd love to see a bear for myself - but I'd almost rather not... y'know?

Scratch

Interesting video - thanks. It would appear that what ever brand of banger the ranger is using has a very short bang distance when fired or perhaps it's a telephoto lens. The United States article I read sometime ago stated that the ones they tested did not bang till quite a distance when fired resulting in the bang over the bears head or beyond. This is a subject that for sure needs the services of someone with good working knowledge of the many varieties out there and which ones would be the most effective.

Interesting as well is that it appears that he let off a noise blaster prior to the fire of the banger.

Vince