Eye Opener Last Night

DennisS

Thanks to Rick Lang for one fantastic presentation. Learnt a lot on Knots, knot strength, and what kind of preasure we are actually putting on a fish while landing it. There were many shocked members. Also learnt how to use our rod to get maximum preasure on the fish.

Almost everyone learnt something last night even us old dogs.

Great presentation Rick

Tigth Lines Always

Dennis S

Rick

Great job on your presentation last night.....you da man. For what ever reason I cannot post the link to the 2012 Tippet Shootout as contained in Fly Fisherman Mag so just go to Flyfisherman.com and in the search box type in 2012 Tippet Shootout. It's a great read.

Vince

It sure is. I had red it before but will take time again to read. Problem being a lot of the top tippet materials are hard to get. One of the few is Frogs hair. I had looked into Stroff but hardly anyone sells it in north america & even less for leaders. You have to almost build your own leaders for the Stroff.

Tight lines always

Dennis S

Both Rio, and Frog hair perform well, Scientific Angler's new stuff is pretty slick. I used it a lot for Atlantic salmon in NB and NL. knots really well, and has held up well under pretty rugged beatings!

Thanks for giving somemore input to this topic. Ricks program was quite an eye opener and we all recieved alot of very good info on tippet materials , leaders, knots and pressure applied to the fish. We all have our favorites , but if we put all of the favorites together they should point the beginner flyfishers in the right direction to have more success. Thanks again.

After looking closely at the knot charts, I've come to a couple of conclusions. For one thing, we've all been duped before with claims of a 99% knot. Also, it seems to make very little difference which knot you use in terms of average breaking strain; the margin from strongest to weakest knot is only about a pound in most cases. The most important thing is that you tie the knot well. There are some knots that have just proved unreliable for me. I've practiced them plenty, but when I test them they snap way too often. Yet they work fine for others. Who knows why?