Fish Hatchery Presentation

vince

If you missed this one you really missed out... All the new stuff they are working on and the projects they have underway.. Wow what a great job to have.

I am very intrigued with the proposed idea with the Bulls and Tigers.. Very interesting.

Thx for coming out Craig and Harvey..

Agree too that it was a fascinating presentation. I've been told that if we want to see tiger trout stocked anywhere in the province we need to start pushing it with ESRD - starting with the Minister. I'll certainly be sending her a letter. Other than their interest in eating perch and the diversity they would bring to Alberta's stocked fisheries I'd be interested in hearing of any other reasons for or against their inclusion in the stocking program. I know some guys drive to Saskatchewan and Manitoba specifically to fish for them - why? Sounds like Craig Copeland is willing to raise and stock them if he gets the green light.

Peter

I would much rather spend my money in my own province to have other oppurtunities to fish so called exotic species. I would be saving a few dollars this year. Oh well I guess with my trip to Manitoba this year, I will be spending a few dollars there. Its a shame if they prefer us to go elsewhere. Maybe thats their idea of culling our fishing here. :fireworks: .

it too enjoyed this presentation there sure was a lot of information to wade through. The discussion on the Tiger trout was interesting. I to believe that Tigers should be consider where perch have been interduced to a trout pond.

I like the fact that they were open to diversifying our trout fisherys with multipule strains of trout(Rainbows & Browns or Brookies & Browns & Rainbows) all in the same lake.

Amagine throwing out your fly and really not sure what you will catch.

Thank you very much guys for a great Presentation.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like an awesome presentation with some great insight into the future of stocking in Alberta. If they ever have some tigers ready for stocking it could be a great tool in perch and sucker control in many lakes. If test lakes are needed, I'm sure they could find a few empty ones on the Coal Valley Mine that would grow some great fish to begin with. If they grow 10 pound rainbows i cant see why tigers wouldn't get nice and big as well. I fish a few lakes with multiple species and really enjoy it, I've seen 6 species of salmonid all caught from the same point on one southern lake (whites, bows, cutties, lakers, brookies, and a brown) and it really adds to the experience.

I vote for multi species of trout in our Northern Provincial waters, to keep the unwanted Perch introduced via unexpected violators in those said waters , ( multi species including tiger trout. )