FISHIN PRAIRIE CREEK

dipperdan

Hello , We are heading out Sunday and back Tue. Where would you suggest going ? Upstream of the Rec Area , South fork or check out Strubble ? Any info would help , I have not fished this area B) Thanks Dan

Just got back tonight from Prairie creek , managed to catch a monster brown maybe 6" !! :o Saw a few rises but only if the tree gods would just give me a chance , I may have caught more . Walked a lot of stream but was such a sandy bottom it was impossible to wad, had to fish from the banks. Talk about Banks and trees it was frustraten :angry: The water was clear and not running high.

We stayed at Mitchell lake and I fished it but didn't have much luck, other fishers didn't have much luck either. Met up with Doug ( member ) who was fishing his faves and also staying at Mitchell lake. I also fished Strubel lake and landed an 8" :clap: There were also fishers from Calgary up there also, surprise !!!

Kelly and I just got back from fishing it today. We went in a few miles above Strachan campground and about 5 miles below. The above water was gorgeous but we never saw a trout. The water below was off colour (about 3 ft visibility) and there were no hatches but I managed to get a few on a hopper-dropper. I hooked 5 and landed 4 (but one was fouled).

The one thing I noticed was that the flat water was quite unproductive along with the outside bends and the deep slow water (I could have put on a strike indicator with a deep fishing nymph and hooked them in that water but then again somebody may have seen me fishing that way :o ). I fished a few pool/runs and found that all of the fish took the fly in the back quarter of the run just before the tailout. Usually when I catch fish in this area I expect to find another one or two up towards the head of the run - but this was not the case.

The funniest thing I saw was an 8" brown that jumped out of the water to grab a fly I cast over a rope that the rancher had stretched across the creek. It was too funny - I cast about a foot too far and the hopper was hanging about 10" over the water - the brown just about got it but he missed it by about 2". Then he took a shot at the hopper about 3 casts later.

About half the fish went for the hopper and half went for the dropper. When I came back downstream I fished over the ones that I missed with a elk hair and got them to come to the fly again. I think the fishing will improve when it warms up.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...