Chungo or Brown Creek?

Rockyman2

I am heading to either of these creeks on Friday. I have fished Brown Creek a bit but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion if one of these is much better than the other. My primary target is cutts.

I'll post a report when I get back.

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark

Hope you have a great trip. I'm looking forward to your report as I would like to head there within the next week or two. Any info you can provide on camping nearby would be appreciated as well.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Yesterday was a long day....I stopped first to fish the Embarras and caught a bunch of grayling. Nothing big but I didn't fish too long. The water seemed a bit dirty and on the high side.

Next stop was Brown Creek. It was high and dirty to the point of being unfishable. I tried anyways and only saw one small bull for my troubles. The campsite there is quite nice.

The Blackstone upstream of the FTR was next. I fished quite a bit of the river and caught nothing, hooked nothing, saw nothing rise and saw no fish in the river. Not sure what was going on. Never been skunked like this before.

Final stop was good old reliable Shunda. Caught a couple of small browns and saw lots rising. Too bad I was running out of time.

Got home to Edmonton at about 11:30. The wife wasn't too happy since I said I would be home after 6 some time. However, if I had fished Shunda as long as I would have wanted to I wouldn't have been home until after 1 a.m.

Mark

Hey Mark

Man, you sure got around. I was out Praire Creek way last Sunday and the water was running high, fast and dirty. Never even wet my line. Oh well.

Sounds like Shunda was the place to be. Wifes are never happy so it's my thought that if your going to get ragged on by the wife you might as well stay out as long as you want and fish. The raggin is the same.

Thanks for the info.

Vince

RockyMan2 I was camped on Brown for the whole week. Fri was the day I was doing my own exploring sorry I missed you. Fri I believe we would have been the only camper there. I tried the Blackstone and caught a rocky on an Amys ant. right by the bridge. I then went back towards camp and hit the upper Chungo and caught a 15inch bull and a small brookie and rolled something under a log he wasn't big. I did swing down toward the embrass Wed but decide not to fish and head up towards Cadamin and fished the MaCleod up on the upper end never been that high before on the MaCleod. Caught a rocky and a small bull had lots of hits but the fly seemed to be a bit big. Went down a size and and caught a couple. I caught all my fish on an Amys ant with a yellow body & olive head. Beauty area when fishable.

Ha Vince did you make it out with Kieth. Kieth was with me on Brown for Fri Sat. real wet, Brown was at least 2 to 3 ft high and like chocolate.

He said he was leaving Sun. to meet up with you. Sounds like not much fishing that weekend.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fishing:

NLFT&F

Hi Dennis,

I assume you were the person with the trailer at the campsite? It looks like you had a nice set-up. Have you ever had any problems with bears camping there?

Is Brown Creek ever that good? As you know it has some really nice pools downstream of the FTR. I had planned on going as far downstream as I could but gave up given the condition of the water. However, this is still on my list of potential "targets" for this year. Although there are a few paths along the river it doesn't look like it gets fished that often.

I fished the McLeod with reasonable success a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful river with some big rockies (and rainbows and bulls if you can find them). We did a float on inner tubes down the river that took a couple of hours. I saw some beautiful pools that I want to try some day (e.g. look at a map where the Little McKenzie Creek enters the McLeod).

Do you ever fish the Wapiabi?

Mark

Brown Creek can be a bit of a surprise. I have caught & lost some big bulls. There are cutts there but limited and not really big I've caught some in the 12 to 14inch range. I've caught brookies close to 12inches and whites that were in the 14inche range also.

As for bear no real problems saw one crossing the stream just above the the camp but he just kept going I've camped there the last 3yrs no problems. Nice little creek both down & up.

Waparabi Yes I've fished it once My wife caught her first cutt there. nice creek I've spoken to a couple of friends that have fished it and they say there is some big bulls in there.

Hope that helps

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S.

NLFT&F

Thanks Dennis. I'll be fishing the Wapiabi and Blackstone this weekend. Wapiabi is nice but you have to do a fair amount of walking between the pools, particularly if you go downstream of the upper road. Yes, there are some nice bulls in there.

I'll save my next trip for Brown Creek until later in August or September. I'll let you know how I do.

Mark