Silk Fly Lines

Don Andersen

Hi,

Vince and I were BSing @ the seminar and the subject of silk fly lines came up. Below is a link to one silk line retailer. There are others, Mr. Zhu among them. The guy from the link below sells good product.

The lines are expensive but will last <> 1000 fishing trips with proper care. During the same time you will wear out 5>7 plastic lines that will cost more.

The upsides to silk are:

* costs less in long run

* casts further

* flies quieter

* more delicate presentation

The downsides are:

* you have to dry them each day

* initial cost is higher.

http://www.silkflylines.com/index.php?home

Regards,

Don

Don

It was fun BSing with you at the seminar and thanks for the info and link to the quality silk fly line company. While it is of interest I have to side with Michael on this one....250 bone is about 200 bone too much. In fact and my buddies will back me on this one....250 bucks represents about 19% (for the sake of simplicity lets call it 20%) of a new Andersen built 7'9" 5 weight bamboo and frankly, I'd rather have the bamboo. That's my storey and I'm sticking to it.

Vince

Snowolf,

To answer your question simply, a cane rod with any line is near on the finest thing you will enjoy - evening exercises exempt.

The real trouble with silk is the number of rods we all own. You have to fish one rod a lot to justify the cost. In my case, I've got line weights from 2>8 in floaters + a large selection of this and that. Maybe 20 lines!

Catch ya'

Don

• 1 month later...

Organic rods, organic lines....

Maybe I do not fish enough, but my lines have been lasting a long long time with minimal or no maintenance.

I was looking at ice augers last night. The Devil rears its ugly head at this time of the year. Testing my resolve.

One of these days I should try silk on the cane, but I need to slow down more.

I am getting there (almost) for fishing the cane, but the silk line is another step in slowing down.

I guess I should learn to nap on the bank first.

Instead ordered some #2 silk beading cord to try on wet flies and serendipities.

Time to sit at the vise I guess and stop rambling.

Florin