Bergman Flies

Garhan

I sure lucked out last night. Went to the Fishing Hole and they must have just put out a fresh stock of white turkey & duck quills. That will make some of my wings a bit easier and nicer. Also they had some blue floss that will lay flat.

Thanks for the tips guys it will help greatly.

With any luck will be done either tonight or Thursday. Then the Tags then over to Garys.

Cann't wait to start the next Plate. Maybe do up 2 each of each pattern then do a box for our silent auction in Nov and one for the TU dinner for next May.

Tight lines Always

Dennis S

Well I'm on track but dam I almost wish that freakin train would hit me. :laugh: I've got the white quills okay, now my red quill is SH-T more hair gone. :cry:

interesting how fussy a person can get working on these flies. :opps: I've done a few that I would fish with but wouldn't put them in a shadow box.

I will be done also in time. :clapping:

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

• Like 1

So far we then have the following people involved: (in no particular order)

1. Dennis S.

2. Michael Dell

3. Jim T. (Snow Wolf)

4. Gary Hanke - DONE

5. Junior- Rick

6. Aaron Phillips - DONE

7. Swingwet (Tony) - DONE

8. Dipperdan (Dan) - DONE

9. Barry Wright (BJW)

etc....

I think this is correct, if not let me know and I will edit. We could have 31 tiers that way we only have to do one each.....cool

We can list of here on this thread. Post yourself up and I will add you to the DONE list as we go.

Five people left to go. We will wait a little while. And then those that are not turned in I will do myself. Unless others want to help that are already done! But we wont wait long past the end of the month as I want to get these mounted and get on with my summer of fishing.

Well I'm done the flies just need to finish off the toe tags will drop off tomorrow night.

Now that I guy is done he can start to source out GOOD quills for the next plate. I really didn't reallize how important good quills are and how much garbage quills are being sold out there.

I guess what we need is some names of some reputable dealers in good matched quills

Gary thank you for your patients and keeping us focused, just to let you know I learnt lots , and can not wait for the next set of flies.

Guys this was great and hope all will continue on with this and hopefully we get some new particapents to join in. What a learning curve.

Tight lines Always

Dennis S :cold::fishing::fish_jump:

1. Dennis S. - DONE

2. Michael Dell

3. Jim T. (Snow Wolf)

4. Gary Hanke - DONE

5. Junior- Rick

6. Aaron Phillips - DONE

9. Barry Wright (BJW)

etc....

I think this is correct, if not let me know and I will edit. We could have 31 tiers that way we only have to do one each.....cool

We can list of here on this thread. Post yourself up and I will add you to the DONE list as we go.

Dennis thanks for your response. If you can bring them to the house or to Snowolf at a club meeting that would be great. As for the learning curve absolutely correct. I went to another forum where a couple of guys that I consider world class tiers, were very helpful. They detailed it down to a SBS. Not that I got it prefect, but I am working in that direction. This exercise has helped in many ways. Tying off material with 3 wraps or a 3-2 tie off. Dubbing and floss manipulation, and a strong focus on proportions, proper wrapping of tags, collecting of quality material (seems like an oxymoron in Edmonton). Much of this I new but getting lazy in my tying became very apparent and obvious on some of my photos. It is amazing how much stands out when you enlarge the picture and see my mistakes 10 x larger than life….lol..

Sorry Guys, might be a little late. Between the TU Dinner prep and work, not a lot of time. 3-1/2 of five done. Next Wednesday for sure

Barry

Thanks Barry, your almost done.

1. Dennis S. - DONE

2. Michael Dell

3. Jim T. (Snow Wolf)

4. Gary Hanke - DONE

5. Junior- Rick - DONE

6. Aaron Phillips - DONE

9. Barry Wright (BJW)

etc....

Just a few more to go and the hard part is done. Thanks Rick.

I have had mine complted for a while now but am really unhappy with the wings on the last one due to poor quality material and/or my ability to make it work.

I may have a source for some better quality stuff but either way Monday for sure.

Well I'm not feeling so bad now. I rushed out of the house this morning packed everything but the flies. That what happens when you don't put everything close to the same place. I've been tying in the living room this week so left them on table. When I packed up this morning completely forgot the were in the to living room.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

4 out of 5 done, but one is being elusive. I'm not entirely pleased with the ones I have completed, mostly due to wings being not quite right and heads being too large and/or crowding the eye. But they are better than all the other practice flies. I should be done in a day or two.

What I have learned.

1. Echoing Dennis, I have to say it is easier to tie good wings with matched quills, and it is very hard to find good materials in the local stores.

2. It is a lot easier to tie a wing onto a bare shank than onto a fly with a completed body. All that practice I did on bare shanks was wasted.

3. Turkey quills from primary feathers are much thicker than duck or goose so they aren't suitable for substitutes. The quills from other parts of the turkey are usable, but most flies don't call for them. Luckily I had two patterns that called for turkey.

4. Size 6 is a large wet fly. I wonder if it would have been easier to tie a size 10. Certainly I would have had more quill that was suitable for size 10.

• Like 1

4 out of 5 done, but one is being elusive. I'm not entirely pleased with the ones I have completed, mostly due to wings being not quite right and heads being too large and/or crowding the eye. But they are better than all the other practice flies. I should be done in a day or two.

What I have learned.

Michael I really like this comment. I hope that others will share there learning curve experience. That would almost make this thread complete. Other than a final photo of the shadow box.

To all Tyers,

My files will in to-night, but a couple of comments.

If this same group are continuing on with the second plate, maybe a few suggestions:

To facilitate getting the proper materials, lets pick the next set now so we have lots of time to get them for the fall and have all summer to tye a bunch for practice

Seriously consider moving down to a size 10 hook which better suit the materials available

Alter the main communication method to a general e-mail so we are not reliant on having to visit the web site to keep up to date. We might be also able to attract other tyers who don’t either have access or don’t use the internet, which would make e-mail difficult, but you get the idea.

Barry

I remember mine so they will be in tonight for sure.

I'm sure in a lot of way some of us are disappointed in the final out come.

Just not guys and ladies these are our first attempts. As we get better at tying these and we get better materials we will see huge improvements.

I like how credical we are of our own work. And I have found that even has feltered down into some of my everday tying now. I've noticed while tying my soft hackles, that I get PO's if I put on that extra wrap of hackle, or start to crowd the eye where I didn't before.

I agree with Barry on lead time to get proper materials. Size of hook not sure there I didn't have much problem with the 6.

Again this was a great time and I too can not wait to see the picture of the completed first Plate.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

BJW thank you for your comments, I do understand what you are expressing to us. I would echo Swingwets comment on fly size. Additionally now that we have started on the first plate. I believe consistency is imperative. As well a size 6 makes a considerably better size for viewing, maybe it is just my eyes. :closedeyes: There is a good chance that the buyer might wish to by the whole series as they come available every year. The intent is to get all the plates the same every year in case that actually happens.

As for getting an early start we can certainly do that. But I don't have the time right now to start on plate 2 for the 2014 auction. But I believe that we can get an earlier start than mid winter.

Regarding the email, we can do that, but it will still be posted and open to the public. If the email system becomes to cumbersome a system or method for me. Then I will revert back to just the forum. Unless someone else wants to jump in and do the emailthing, those are my 2cents worth.

Cheers,

Gary

Come to think about this and the email query. I was told by an executive member a little while back that we do not have a up to date email list and that he gets 50+% bounce back from the current list. So unless someone comes up with a good list for me to use. Then emailing wont work. It seems that this is one reason we dont email our newsletter out to members. So for now we will stay and only post on the forum.

Additionally this is for all forum members, so club members should learn how to get on this forum...just thinking.

Not sure how that works.. You post an now you have to tie a fly...? Some strange thinking goin on in there.... ;)

Well Jim, As you post the forum counts your posts and slowly you go from one fly to another. What I decided to do a while back was to tie those flies as my membership changes. And use that as my avatar.I just went from a Silver Rat to a Jock Scott.