Sundance Creek

vince

Hey Guys

Went to the Sundance and the Embarras today with my son and had a great day. We fished the Sundance from about 9 am to about 2 and between the two of us 18 Grayling and Rainbow's were caught. All fish from this little creek were small ( in the 6 to 8 inch range) except one Grayling that was just shy of 12 inches.A CFF and an Adams were used - both in the 14/16 range.

We then drove down and spent an hour or so on the Embarras and caught 3 more Grayling - all 3 on a Stimulater size 12 though a whole bunch of hits were had on a size 14 H & L Varient and a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis.

All and all a great day. :clap:

Vince

Thanks for the report. I passed by Sundance Creek at Hwy 16 today at about noon. Was that your jeep?

I was fishing the McLeod River this weekend. Caught some rainbows, whitefish, and one book trout - all on dry flies. Beautiful river with some really nice water!

Hey Rockyman2

Yep, that was my Jeep. It's a rough noisy ride and way to tight on space but it gets me where I'm going. Perhaps it may be that I'm getting to old for the likes of a Jeep TJ.

Sounds like your day was great as well. Before we headed to the Embarras we tried to find a way into the McLeod and it seems that every road we took had a Private Property sign. If you get a chance can you tell me which road you took to get at the McLeod. It's great country out there eh. Take care and thanks for the McLeod update.

Vinny

I accessed the McLeod off the road that goes to Cadomin (i.e. it leaves the FTR just past the road that goes to Robb/Edson - sorry I don't remember the #). The road crosses the river two or three times so access shouldn't be a problem. I would guess that fishing upstream or downstream of any of the bridges should bring you to some good holes.

Like any freestone stream you will have to do some walking to get to the better pools (in addition to getting away from the quaders). However the walk is worth it.

Mark

Hey Vince. I spent today on the Embarras. I walked from 1/2 to 1 mile upstream and downstream of 4 different access points. Simply could not connect on a grayling. I did catch several brookies but the grayling seemed to be no where in site. I only saw two fish rise the whole day and caught both of them using an EHC size 14. Maybe I'm I not traveling far enough from the access points? I did see some boot tracks but I thought I was far enough from most of the "road hunters". The only bugs I saw were some discarded stone fly shucks and a few midges. I tried Griffith’s knats, EHC, stimulators, Adams, royal coachman humpies and H&L variants. Any other suggestions? Maybe it was just a bad day? :(

Hey WBAJ

Great to hear you spent the day on the Embarras. Hey, being on the water and catching a few Brookies would be a great day for me. The flies I used were the H&L Variant, Stimulator and Elk Hair Caddis all in a 14 / 16 though I did not get as many hits on the Stimulator as I did on the others.

We fished upstream from the first bridge - we just waded upstream and hit the far bank for about a 1/4 mile and then just worked our way back to the bridge. While we only caught 3 we had a whole bunch of hits and refusals - I should have changed flies but time was running out. I'm not bug educated yet so I can't tell you about hatches and stuff. I just go with what my gut tells me to use. One day I'll catch up and know about bugs and hatches and stuff but for now I'm happy catching fish :rolleyes:

Hope you have better luck on your next trip. If there is anything else I can do or explain for you - please let me know.

Vince

Vince

The first bridge is one of the only spots I didn't try and it sounds like you fish the same way I do. Although I had a good day I really wanted to tag a few grayling and the fact that I didn't just gives me a reason to return later in the month. :rolleyes:

One spot to try especially with a youngster along is upstream of the last bridge. The river is quite small here and the bull trout are fairly numerous although small. I must have caught about a dozen in the mile I walked and fished. Use the EHC in #14 or 16 and you are sure to get some action. The largest you can expect is only around 12 inches but they are fun just the same. Fishing small creeks and rivers also has its own pleasures.

Take care

WBAJ

Hey WBAJ

Thanks for the info. I would like to go back before the month is over and try this river again. How much further upstream is the last bridge or is there some kind of road identifcation that I can use as a turn reference.

Fishing small streams is a hoot for me - everthing is up close and personal. Got to love it eh. Good luck to you on your next trip and if you can reply as to the access point - it would be apprecated.

Vince

Vince, follow Hwy 47 south past Robb until you get to a sharp 25 km/hour left turn. It is at this point where the pavement ends and a good gravel road begins. Just a very short way down the gravel road you will see a recreation camp spot on the left hand side along the Embarass river. Again just a few yards across the bridge from this camping spot is another road branching off to the right. It also crosses the river and it was at this bridge that I parked and walked up stream for about a mile. Walking out is easy, only small shrubs and you can cross the river any place you want to get back more like the crow flies. I also fished it a bit upstream from the camp spot. Again they were small but very willing. EHC size 14 with a green or brown body seemed to get these little guys stirred up!

Good luck and tight lines!

WBAJ