January Seminar - Questions For Rick Hafele And Brian Chan

phlygirl

In the upcoming January seminar both Rick and Brian have agreed to hold a Q&A session with attendees.

We would like to give them the opportunity to be able to answer your questions thoroughly and thoughtfully. So we have decided to have people post questions here in the forum, this way we can send them directly to our speakers ahead of time for consideration.

Questions can be anything about the program and or fishing in general.

Fire away folks! :)

• Like 1

What do you do when there is an overabundance of a particular food item? I was fishing Muskiki Lake a dozen years ago and there were scuds everywhere. Every flipper kick brought up hundreds of scuds. All the trout had to do was swim around and they could gorge themselves on scuds. Needless to say I didn't catch any trout. What would you try? A different scud colour/pattern/size? Or something completely different? Or go to some other lake?

• Like 1

Questions:

1. What effect if any does the knowledge that trout can see light in the ultraviolet spectrum have on the fly patterns you tie and use?

2. Warm summer day, nothing visibly hatching, no rises, nothing seems to work - any suggestions for enticing a strike?

May think of more.................what's the deadline for posting questions?

• Like 1

Brian , you've been invited to fish a new lake to you. It's late September , this lake is in the Kootenay's and not fished to much. A small pothole lake , some shallows but deep, with large fish that surface occasionaly . You notice some scuds and gomphus . How would you go about fishing this lake, rod , line , tippet , fly, method. How long would you fish with this method and what would you change to, different fly, tactic, etc ? Thanks Dan

• Like 1

For Rick Hafele-

For some time there has been a local debate as to the occurrence and range of the Giant Salmonfly, Pteronarcys californica, in Alberta waters. Some references state that this species is widespread in our province, while others claim that this species is absent and that other Salmonflies, such as Pteronarcys dorsata, are the cause of the confusion. Please look into this matter, and let us know what you find.

For Rick Hafele-

For some time there has been a local debate as to the occurrence and range of the Giant Salmonfly, Pteronarcys californica, in Alberta waters. Some references state that this species is widespread in our province, while others claim that this species is absent and that other Salmonflies, such as Pteronarcys dorsata, are the cause of the confusion. Please look into this matter, and let us know what you find.

If you need samples I can provide some that have yet to be Id.

Additional reading material below, to assist in your question Junior that Rick may find helpful when answering your question. I think this person can be approached and asked directly about his experiences on this matter and it would get you a good quality local definitive answer like you are looking for in your question.

http://troutfodder.b...in-alberta.html

It's a beautiful day and you are on a fish full river with a novice that is getting more than their fair share of strikes yet for some reason they can't seem to get any hook ups..

What are some of the things you might suggest to alleviate the situation..?

Thanks , Gary. That's one of the references I was referring to. Obviously Rob Hinchliffe has great credentials, but so do some of the contradictory sources. If you do some digging, I think you'll find you get every answer imaginable, from common and widespread, to not present at all, all from credible sources. Of course, you have to happy salad through a lot of not so credible sources, too. To be honest, I'd rather not bias Rick Hafele by pointing him in any direction. I've looked into it as much as I'm probably going to, and a quick google search ought to show Rick the link you provided; I was hoping he might have some resources that are not readily available to us. I don't know that we'll ever have a definitive answer, unless maybe a rich benefactor gives Mr. Hinchliffe a nice grant to do a thorough study on Salmonflies in Alberta.

Thanks , Gary. That's one of the references I was referring to. Obviously Rob Hinchliffe has great credentials, but so do some of the contradictory sources. If you do some digging, I think you'll find you get every answer imaginable, from common and widespread, to not present at all, all from credible sources. Of course, you have to happy salad through a lot of not so credible sources, too. To be honest, I'd rather not bias Rick Hafele by pointing him in any direction. I've looked into it as much as I'm probably going to, and a quick google search ought to show Rick the link you provided; I was hoping he might have some resources that are not readily available to us. I don't know that we'll ever have a definitive answer, unless maybe a rich benefactor gives Mr. Hinchliffe a nice grant to do a thorough study on Salmonflies in Alberta.

Junior, thanks for the input. I doubt references offered would give or lead to any professional bias. There is debate back and forth on the species and their existence in Alberta. Some of the dialogue is very old news and some of it newer bringing it to this decade. I think and trust that if a credible person says yes they exists and I have caught one in a public blog, then there credibility is as stake as is there professional ethics. Then to me there is little doubt. It maybe the nay sayers that haven't gotten out enough with the doubting Thomas's and they might have to have this debate amongst themselves.

To be clear, I have no doubt at all that Salmonflies are in Alberta; I've encountered them on 2 occasions. As I mentioned in the "Chasing Stonefly Hatches in Alberta" thread, I had one on my shirt in September on Rock Creek. The other was on the NSR, in July I think. But no one seems to have very much detail on which species are present in which waterbodies. Don't you find it strange that Rob Hinchliffe has sampled the Giant Salmonfly on multiple waterbodies, but doesn't go into any detail about the other Salmonflies, such as the Lesser, Dwarf, or American? Other than to mention that P. dorsata is easily confused with P. californica. But he clearly states that P. californica is "the Salmonfly", and says that P. dorsata is just a large stonefly that looks similar. To me, that casts a shadow of doubt. I guess I should send an email to Mr. Hinchliffe and see what he has to say about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Hafele-

A local expert- http://troutfodder.b...in-alberta.html -has stated that Pteronarcys dorsata is more widespread in Alberta than P. californica, and my own limited research indicates that the same holds true throughout a much larger geographical area. However, this species was not even mentioned in "Western Hatches", where you unequivocally state that P. californica is the most important hatch in the genus Pteronarcyidae. Since these two species have similar appearances, life histories, habitat requirements, and are known to co-exist within the same water bodies, I was wondering if you were aware of any reason why P. dorsata would not be a more important hatch for the angler.

Either and or both- Fly dressers and anglers have debated for decades if not centuries the merits of the three elements in fly design: size, colour, and silhouette. Mostly all fly tyers and anglers at some point in there flyfishing pursuits will want to know, is one of these three” more important than the others?

• Like 1

Apologies Dan and Gary..............I took all the questions, edited and sent them to Brian and Rick via Dennis on the 5th so your last two were not included. Depending on time available may be possible to add them in at the seminar.

Peter