Simple Soft Hackle

flyfish

In my quest and research for for eliminating those hundreds of flies from the fly box. I came across a an old article on a a lost hard drive sent to me in 2004 (published 2005)by Dave Sylstra of the California flytyers, a super effective pattern, super easy. Here you go Dennis this one is for you... please do not tie in your favourite colours to match the hatch in your favourite streams... :whootwhoo:

The key to the success for this fly is the hook...

roy...

SimpleSoftHackle.pdf

• Like 2

Vince a great easy tie and a good fish catcher in sizes 14 and 16 that covers all the emergers in the Mayfly category. I rarely see seizes 12 and larger in our region but there are exceptions, green drakes on the Elk can reach this size. 18's and smaller covers the chironomids. A heavy scud hook works well for the emergers, and for late evening top film feeders if tied with a very light dry fly hook it will float to some degree depending on the amount of dubbing used in the thorax, and the length of you leader. I guess I should of place this in the pattern section sorry guys.

Roy..

Roy now I really like this one. Just saw it. This will not only cover all the mayflies but also Caddis emergers in the right colours you could use for the small stoneflies also. Sylverster even tied some really big orange soft hackle and use in stonefly hatches and caught fish on them. I'm telling you soft hackles is the way to go. I have a book done by a guy out the US last name I believe is Allen and he writes using soft hackles with brass beads & tungsten. I am actually going to start rereading that book. He goes though the materials used He even brakes down the areas of the hares mask and the colors you get in each area. I don't think it's in the club Library. I will bring it with me for the next meeting.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Roy not to worry I have my own copy. Matter of fact I have this copy for 2 or 3 yrs already. As I said it very good becasue he goes through a bit of histroy then into materials then how to prepare some of the materials(hares ear) Then how to fish them top to bottom.

It's a very good book. I wil bring it Wed night so you can take a look at it.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

I started to reread the book & just reading the introduction was a refresher on how versital the softhackle really is.

I started working on a partridge & orange and is sure turned out nice. Mind you I did Dennisize it a bit. Glitter thread body & a Poly wing(white & about 10 or so fibers give or take a couple) and Orange tying thread for the head.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

Now you've got me wondering, Dave. I'll have to tye some up with various body lengths to see if it makes any difference. I usually make them just a little shorter than the standard for other flies, stopping above the point of the hook, rather than the barb.

The reason I asked is that I've seen different lengths in different books. Some are a s hort as half shank length, which combined with the dubbing behind the hackle makes for a very short body. Others are like Dennis which are woudn back to the barb. I have no idea why the difference.

The explanation I've always heard for the different body lengths is the frugality of the tyer. That, and tradition. Those that were somewhat economically challenged used as little material as they could get away with. Those that were better off would dress the whole shank (and thought nothing of breaking off a handful of thread with every jam knot :poke:) . So today, if you want to tye a proper P&O like a good Yorkshireman, you tye it with a short body even if you are the richest guy in town.

So short bodies were just tradtion from cheap tyers then?

And here I thougth there was some esoteric explanation about immitiatng smaller midges on larger hooks

or body length being dependent on hackle length to keep proportions accurate.

I wonder how many other patterns and pattern details are due to frugality.

Anybody want to start a list?

How about the old bootlace hopper...

Edited by dave robinson