Little Smokey In Sept

DennisS

Well it's getting that time of year again. :whoot: Brenda & I are headed for the Little Smokey Sept 14th to the 18th. Any one interested is more then welcome to show up. Right now intentions are to camp at Grizzley Junction(2nd bridge). It would be nice if other members showed up for a day or 2 of some of the best Grayling fishing you can have. Also would be nice to have some extra people to sit around the fire at night and tell fishy stories. Not that we fisherman have those type of stories to tell. And of Course a shot or 2 of Scotch & 5-alive would be in order.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Well it's getting that time of year again. :whoot: Brenda & I are headed for the Little Smokey Sept 14th to the 18th. Any one interested is more then welcome to show up. Right now intentions are to camp at Grizzley Junction(2nd bridge). It would be nice if other members showed up for a day or 2 of some of the best Grayling fishing you can have. Also would be nice to have some extra people to sit around the fire at night and tell fishy stories. Not that we fisherman have those type of stories to tell. And of Course a shot or 2 of Scotch & 5-alive would be in order.

Tight Lines Always

I might to that trip Dennis and join you for a day or two. But of course I will have to bring some 7 shot for Grouse potluck if thats OK with you.

Gary that would be great mouth is watering already. Maybe I can talk Brenda into mixing up some Banic to go with it.

Vince we surely can squeeze you in as long as you don't mind Brenda's & the dog's snoring. Really we have room.

I'll make sure there lots of 5-alive.

Tight lines Always

Dennis S

• 2 weeks later...

Gary thats to bad about work will miss you. Junior I sure hope so. Wife and I hopefully leaving Thur night. Catch the early morning fish Fri. Not sure who else will be showing up.

Yes will have Woolly worms. Wasn't going to take tying gear but after Last Sunday will need to replentish a couple of my go to patterns. I used up 5 or 6 Green soft hackles so need to get a head on those.

The weather so far is looking good so should have a couple of days of good fishing. I want Brenda to catch a big bunch of Grayling. I just might put one day just fishing for Bulls see what happens with that one.

See all Wed night.

Tight Lines Always

to bad guys the weather forecast is going to be fantastic. I can hear those Grayling just begging to be caught.

Was hoping to leave tonight but likely now really early in the morning.

All have a great weekend and see most next Wed tying the flies that worked.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

Well where to begin. No actually this turned out to be one of Dennis's most uneventful outings in a long time. No holes in the the oil pan not that the Big Stone Rd. didn't live up to it's reputation. The way in was a real bumpy ride the way out much better. Brenda & I Met up with Scott on the Fri morning. He was tenting it and he had been there since Wed. He must have scared the fish as it was a bit of work to catch any numbers. Fri was really windy & had to finally switch over to the 5wt. It really made things tough. I did manage to catch some very nice sized Grayling. Likely for the weekend the average size was bigger than the last couple of years. We craweled into bed somewhat early and woke up to heavy frost and also Jim & Kenzie sleeping in their van. They had pulled in through the night. Scott had to leave Sat so he didn't get a chance to do much fishing. The day ended up being really nice. Jim Kenzie and I went up stream for a bit and did very well again size was pretty good. Jim made a trip down river several km and caught lots and found some very nice fishing spots. He got to see some otters and also scared up a Lynx. Sat night Kenzie whipped up a fantastic Dinner over the fire. Man can she not only catch fish she is one hell of a cook. Thanks again Kenzie, mouth is still watering. Sunday was a good day but we did take it easy. Jim and Kenzie left later in the afternoon. They had a great time and we will be getting together again hopefully soon.

Monday was a take it easy day, again fish were caught but I spent most of the day trying to get the leaks out of the wadders. Managed to get most of them. As Jim can atest the water was dam cold.

Tuesday was a wash the wind was howling and there must have been a front roll in because I could't get the fish to move Brenda had a couple of taps but that was it. I put a couple of hr in and not a rise. I even nymphed and used the llama leech and still nothing.

I suppose I can give you some of the patterns that worked. Some of the standards just didn't seem to work as well this time out. The majority I caught was on either the Chornyble ant(Tan) Fat Albert(Tan)or (Black) partridge & green, & Partridge & orange. Llama leech drifted not stripped. Llama leech likely caught the biggest garyling. Chornyble likely the most. Jim caught most of his on a black or green elk(deer)hiar caddis. Scott did well with Prince nymph no bead. So it was a bit of a mixed bag.

All in all it was a pretty good trip. Great time was had with great friends.

Will have to give it a bash again next year.

Didn't take a picture Jim my have a couple.

Tight Lines Always

• Like 1

By now I'm sure you have heard of the grizzly attack about 10 km NW of the town of Swan Hills. This isn't too far from the Freeman River. However, we pretty much have to assume that grizzlies can be found anywhere in the boreal forest area. They even make it as far as Dolberg Lake as per a year or so ago. I've also heard about them being in the Little Smoky River area (I guess it's called Grizzly Junction for a reason...).

My favourite trout streams are up in the mountains and it's fairly easy to keep a long sight line and thus avoid any bear encounters. Not so easy when walking along the Little Smoky and the long grass, trees, etc.

I don't watch tv or listen to the radio a whole lot so consequently I am not up to snuff on the news very much.

I have only seen two Grizzlies in my life. One ran across the transcanada two cars ahead when traveling to Vancouver some years ago, and the second was about 7 years ago driving home from a fathers day clave on the wolf lake road. He was sitting on the side of the road in the dark.

A couple of fellas that stopped to fish the bridge we where by with Dennis said they saw a Grizzly a couple of miles down the road.