Red Deer River Pontoon Boat Float Trip?

Quentin

Float trip was a ragging success... Browns, Whites and Goldeye where all caught.

First section from dam down was a little high but clear and provided us with a beautiful morning.

The second section was high and muddy and at first seemed like it was going to be uneventful however that turned out to be far from the case.

Thx Garry and Quiton. I had a great day and look forward to more time on the water with you fellas.

Cheers

Yeah, it was wonderful. What a way to fish a river!!! I'm quite excited to plan more floats. Now...I have to come up with a second pontoon boat for the Mrs.... oh, and a babysitter :P

Gary and Jim, it was a fantastic day. Thank you both for your help all day.

Did anyone else know you could get three full pontoon boats, and three full grown men into one mini-van???

QT

...very glad that you guys had a terrific trip...sorry that I could not make it out...how long was the float?...keep in mind of the stopping to fish...how difficult was it to master the river?...I'm a pontoon boat novice and my only experience is on still waters only...

...thanks for sharing your reports...

Paul

Paul,

It was my first float, and my only pontoon experience has been Muir and Star lakes for 5 or so outings. It was really easy to "master the river" with the pontoon boat. On our float, there was only one small, 10m portion which made me look twice, but it was easy enough to stay out of the rough part by pumping the oars a bit. Now...it takes a bit of paying attention to ensure you stop fishing in enough time to put your road away, pick up the oars, and avoid sweepers, etc. I almost broke a rod by being greedy with one-more-cast-itis... but I didn't break anything.

The float from the damn to RR 20 took us 6-7 hours, but we stopped A LOT, and fished the banks quite a bit. We could have run the gauntlet and only fished to risers, and would have been done in around 3 hours.

I HIGHLY recommend taking your pontoon boat on that float trip. It was wicked fun, and a fantastic way to pass a day. When shall we go?

QT

Hey guys, I enjoyed the company and had a great time with both of you. As for the float I usually plan on the Dam to RR20 as a 5 hour float, plus or minus and hour.

When we floated the lower section I think that would be more of a 8 plus hours float depending on how good the fishing is and how frequent you stop. It certainly isn't a 2 hour float that some people told us. We even had to row out the last few miles just to get to Ft. Normandeau before it was locked up for the night. Didn't make it on time but at least the gate wasn't locked. All of these two section are easy floats with no significant faster water that cannot be avoided.

Now from RR20 down to Innisfail about a mile down there is a corner that could bite you if you're not paying attention. Then it is smooth sailing to Innisfail Bridge. That is an 10 hour float.

Here are some pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at that a short winged golden stonefly male. And I was lead to believe they are only found on the Bow River.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just so everyone knows I have pictures of Quentin smuching with a fish. In case there is some doubt about wether or not he loves fishing.

• Like 1