Skill With A Size 20

swingwet

So I had decided to tie some SIZE 20 chironomids and emergers this past winter.Got a great deal online so I picked up 400 of them.Had never fished anything smaller than a 16 before(didn't need to I guess).

Thought they'd be fun as heck to tie and cute as heck to look at full up in a box.

So I was out at Morinville with a strike indicator and 3 size 20's on spanning a distance of about 3'.I counted that indicator going down 40+ times then I just stopped counting.Out of all that I hooked and landed 5....I repeat 5 fish.I felt probably around a dozen but ONLY HOOKED 5.

I tried a simple rod lift,I tried a rod lift with a line pull,I tried a sideways sweep with the rod,I tried a sideways sweep with a line pull,I tried a pull the truck out of the ditch set,I TRIED EVERYTHING !!!

Did I say I only hooked 5 FISH ^&@#$%.

But boy are those size 20's ever cute to look at in my box.

Of the 5 fish the nice one measured 17 1/4 " the others between 14-16.

I'm sure there are many more experienced fly fisherman on the site that may be able to give me some insight on this quirk of nature I experienced.It can not be my inability because I am such a fantastic fisherman(joke).

post-2116-0-26056700-1340383448_thumb.jpg

My guess would be that your indicator was too large. Was the bobber going right down, or just dipping? If it was dipping, the fish were not able to suck the fly into their mouth, because of the floatation of the large bobber.

Did you try, "God save the queen"?

My guess would be that your indicator was too large. Was the bobber going right down, or just dipping? If it was dipping, the fish were not able to suck the fly into their mouth, because of the floatation of the large bobber.

Did you try, "God save the queen"?

Well I'm using about a dime size round pasty,foamy float putty stuff.3 flies - 2 w/ glass beads...and come to think about it for the most part YES it was just "dipping".

I'll cut down the size of the indicator and see if that helps.Admittedly this was only the 3rd time in about a dozen years that I've used a strike indicator.Only after reading The Secrets of Angling - John Denny have I decided it was okay FOR ME to fly fish with a strike indicator.Personal evolution is always on ongoing process (haha).

I know what you mean. I had gotten to thinking that I had evolved beyond bobbers and trolling, but last fall I went up to a few trophy lakes in Manitoba. Whatever the reason, bad weather, bad timing, the fishing was really tough. The only people having any success were those who regularly made trolling and indi fishing their primary methods. After a while I swallowed my pride and followed their lead, but I guess I'd gotten rusty at those methods because it didn't pay off. I managed 9 fish all week.

At least you know they liked your flies. 40+ takes is nothing to sneeze at.