Great Great Grandads...

Kristi

Last Wednesday I had brought in my Great Great Grandad's fly wallet and reel.. He was a tyer himself. Several people had mentioned that I should steam my G-G Grandfathers flys and restore them. Leaving the club that night it got me thinking about preserving his work. I was wondering if any one can point me in a direction to a good method of preservation. Next week I will bring the rod, reel and fly wallet to show again is anyone is curious. Also looking for someone to possibly help me out in restoring the fly rod I have as well.

:vdaylove:

Pleeeese and thanks..

Kristi :P

LOOKING FOR HELP! :rolleyes:

I have searched the web and have not been very sucessful in my search of how to preserve my Great Great grandad's fly's. Any tag lines and or key words to help me with fly preservation when i do my search??

Kristi

Kristi,

Keep the flies dry and in some type of bug proof container. Moths are you're biggest enemy. If you have steamed them, make sure they are very dry before placing them in a bug proof container. Rust will get them.

As far as your Grandfather's rod. I'm in Edmonton in January for the FF show. Will be there Friday evening>Sunday afternoon. Give me a shout and I'll look it over.

There are always some questions regarding "Grandpa" rod:

1] Historically significant

2] Old master

3] Family heirloom

4] Will it get fished?

catch ya'

Don

Thanks Don;

At the moment I am just in the middle of preserving my GG Grandfathers flys.. Yes they where steamed and i am looking to get them into a fly frame aka Shadow box! by tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

My Mom saw them tonight and said "WOW" those are antique's....she remembers her grandfather tying them. :)

as for the rod Ill catch up with you in January and hopefuly we can chat in depth about it.

Kristi

Vince

I was mistaken and or mistold about the description of my Great great GD's rod. Sadddened and disapointed that it is not a cane rod. But none the less, more than proud to have such a meaningful peice of my great great grandfather.

It will come with me Wednesday.

Anyways Vince, dont you know I have my eye on a beautiful bamboo rod! *fingers crossed* :D possibly in the near future.... hehe!

~Kristi.

Don,

To answer your Q's about the rod, Yes to most of them... I'd love to fish :fishing: it unless it is recomended that I keep it safe! for reasons unfathomable. :blink::eek:

(please excuse the spelling) ;)

~Kristi.