Words Of Wisdom; Young Grasshoppa!

Hey, I am new to fly tying and am looking for all sorts of information, tips, and guidence that I can collect and learn from. I would greatly appreciate recipes for begginers; and or sources of reffrence and resourses. Is there any thoughts and ideas of what sorts of tools and brands; new or used that I should be aware of before investing in?

Here is a picture of the very first fly I tied. I do not have a vise or a whip finisher!! ... I dont know what it is supposed to replicate, I just tied and let my hands and eyes do the work. As for materiels I used orange grizzly hackle, peacock hurl, olive mallard flank, olive hurl of some sort for the head! ;) I really dont know for sure my hands just grabbed feathers. And I created. Yeah I tied with floss and used a size four Mustad and tied out of order... I could not wait I used what I had!! =) LOL

post-2083-1319174899_thumb.jpg

Hey, I am new to fly tying and am looking for all sorts of information, tips, and guidence that I can collect and learn from. I would greatly appreciate recipes for begginers; and or sources of reffrence and resourses. Is there any thoughts and ideas of what sorts of tools and brands; new or used that I should be aware of before investing in?

Here is a picture of the very first fly I tied. I do not have a vise or a whip finisher!! ... I dont know what it is supposed to replicate, I just tied and let my hands and eyes do the work. As for materiels I used orange grizzly hackle, peacock hurl, olive mallard flank, olive hurl of some sort for the head! ;) I really dont know for sure my hands just grabbed feathers. And I created. Yeah I tied with floss and used a size four Mustad and tied out of order... I could not wait I used what I had!! =) LOL

post-2083-1319174899_thumb.jpg

You have come to the right place. We pride ourselves in our ability to help new fly tyers. Come to a meeting and Just ask any body for help. We have a huge library of books and CDs available for members to sign out.

I hope to see you at the next meeting on Wednesday night. Just ask for Dave Murray. Bring a coffee cup and have one with us. :coffeetime:::coffee::

Sincerely

Dave M

:fishing::0

Yeah, you'll like the meetings. They're pretty informal, and there is a lot of knowledge and resources in there.

Nice fly. Remember to keep the first fly you ever tied, and the first fly you tie that catches a fish. You'll look back on it with good memories :)

QT

Hey Hey!! Thanks Dave and Q for the bits.. I'm hoping to get in there for the next session... I think you'll be tying scuds, while I'm working on basics.. :eek: I look forward to getting advise and honing my skill as a tyer. :D

Yes Q this fly is a keeper for sure..! and thanks for the props!

Is there any resources that anyone can recomend to me as a new tyier? This is where I am stumped: Tying off my material and whip finishing! I would greatly appreciate the help

thanks again,

Kristi

Is there any resources that anyone can recomend to me as a new tyier? This is where I am stumped: Tying off my material and whip finishing! I would greatly appreciate the help

thanks again,

Kristi

If you can't make it to the club , there are many on line sites. Just type in flytying whipfinish and there you are , lotsa info on the net. The club has many books and DVD's to borrow in our library also. Good luck. Dan :fish_jump:

Thanks Dan for the info! I will head to the net for some guidence on whip finishing..

Kristi:

Tying off material as it is applied to the fly is usually accomplished with just a few snug wraps.

If you want more security for fly durability, then a coiuple of half hitches won't hurt.

In fact, until you get some instruction on whip finish, just complete the fly with a few half hitches around the hook at the eye.

Many tyers use a tool for the whip finish. There's two basic styles of tool, the Matarelli and the Thompson.

Use of either one is best learned by hands on demonstration.

Or you can go commando and learn how to do a whip finish by hand.

This definitely requries hands on demo and some practise.

Dave

Ok; here is another question every one says get good at tying a wooly bugger! ok what is the definition of good to you?

This is what im working on now the tail could posibly be a little shorter on the wooly?!

post-2083-1319480385_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave! I have been doing the halfhitch to tie off with.. tried several times with the Matarelli-style whip finisher, compleated a couple flys with it but not many I think my tension is to tight and I may be also holding the bobbin at the wron degree.

Ill be there Wednesday to absorbe like the sponge that I am I can't wait.. Ill bring what i have as well.

Thaks again Kristi :D

Kristi that Woolly Bugger looks real good to me. It will catch fish.

Your getting the hang of things.

Our beginner sessions will be starting up real soon. That will help you greatly.

As everyone else said so far if you have questions don't be scared to ask someone at the club to explain or show you how to do it.

See you Wed night.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW! I'M SHOCKHED!!!! Ok I got bored of the wooly bugger and tried my hand at a new fly. I had no recipie and this is the first ever of its kind for myself. I still have lots to learn and actually lacked a lot of materiels for this I just got creative. I tried my best to mach what I had remembered as a child playing with FW srimp and shrimping on the coastline.

Just playing around and this is what was created!

post-2083-1319567584_thumb.jpg

Kristi, Greg here, you might also catch Leroy Hyatt's TV show "Fly-Tying: The Angler's Art" on channel 22 (Detroit public TV), Saturday mornings at 7:30. Of course, there is the club library and it's selection of books and DVD's.

Kristi:

Can you tiem upa dozen of those shrimp pattersn for me in pale olive and tan? :rolleyes:

It it would save me a lot of time adn effort before our fishing trip to Cuba in May :D

Dave, exactly as I tied my first one??

Thank you to all that said hello and for their tid bits in guiding me..

It will take me awhile to remember everyones name but I will get there... I appreciate the help and look forward to asking more questions at the next club meeting I attend; and looking through the library!

Tonight I tie nothing as I sit and review the evenings events and all the smiles...

:rolleyes:

Thanks Guys

Kristi

ok; I have focused on tying scuds and trying to tye the ones that Dan has demonstrated last club meeting.. I can't remember if there was a particular hook size to use. Not only that I had broke several hooks. Why is that? I wish it took a paper and pen.. lol! can any one give me a couple of reminders please!

Kristi I wasn't paying that much attention either know it was a scud hook and guessing size wise would be either 10 or 12. For the hooks braking is it when your bending down the barb or is while you have it in the vise itself.

I've had some of the less expensive hooks snap when bending down the barbs.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis is there a hook brand that you would recomend? Im using Mustad's for allthe hooks I choose.

Thanks

Kristi

For Scuds, Caddis and Klinkhammers I would recommend Partridge hooks.

The only thing you have to watch for is that typically their gap is larger than competitors of the same hook sizes

Dave

Edited by dave robinson

Kristi I use Diiechi hooks and I have yet to have one break and none bend do to fish. The fish one my just me I don't catch many big fish.

the Scud hook I use is Diiechi's 1130 that is the light wire as I use that one for a lot of my dry's also. Again that just me. I'm not your standard type of Tyer. I love tying on a short shanked hook with a wide gap.

Temico would be a good one also the Mustad Signature series is pretty good also. Again these hooks are a bit more expensive.

Good luck Kristi

Tight Lines Always

what does CDC mean in this industry. the sentence I read it in is: CDC Caddis Dry Fly

ok i posted a comment on my page. it was a question though. here it is..

Is and would Kijji be ok to purchas materiels from for tying? what is your thoughts and oppinions on this matter?

please and thank you.

Kristi

• 2 weeks later...

what does CDC mean in this industry. the sentence I read it in is: CDC Caddis Dry Fly...

I have looked and I get several results that are confusing me.. Sorry guys for buggin again..