Words Of Wisdom; Young Grasshoppa!

Kristi

Kristi

You might also want to look at the TMC 2487 for tying Klink type patterns. I have, in the past, used the recommended Partridge hook for tying my Klink's but I found that the hook gap is too narrow for me and I found I was missing the odd hook set. After switching over to the TMC the hook setting problems vanished. The final product, tyed on a TMC, may not look as pretty but I think it works much better.

Vince

Thanks Vince for that tying idea and tip.. I'll give it a go. =)

And thank you Dan for the clarrification of CDC "duck butt" ;)

Everyones ideas, suggestions, information and knowledge has been a great help through my discovery! :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

HEY HEY!!

:clap: I think I mastered the Whip Finish!!! wow its about time!!! just trying to enhance the wrapping skill.. any tips out there to study for tying in materiels? Links, urls and sites to check out??

post-2083-1322540895_thumb.jpg

my newest member to the fam!! =)

KK

ok i posted a comment on my page. it was a question though. here it is..

Is and would Kijji be ok to purchas materiels from for tying? what is your thoughts and oppinions on this matter?

please and thank you.

Kristi

Depends on what you are buying, feathers may be tricky,( not getting exactly a posted or even old and dry). I have not purchased anything on line, Dennis would be the one to talk to , hes always looking for something odd!!!!!

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hey gang, where would I be able to find and or order, silver pheasant, jungle cock and scarlet ibis from, any stores or websites that I could check out?

thanks,

~kristi

Hey Dennis can you bring me the website addresses tonight please and thanks.

• 2 months later...

OK why does one choose a particular hook to tie on other than its size and purpose?? I have three hooks all the same size but different makers i just pick a hook.. why do you choose Mustad over Tiemco or anything else?? help!! input please....

Guest redfly

Hello there Kristi

I have always leaned toward using Mustad first my own preference and if I cannot get them in the size I require one of the other top brands will do there are so many different makes of hook's and when you start tying 20 or 50 at a time I tend to purchase the cheaper brands they still work well for catching fish.I have noticed when it comes to larger fish and especially Steel Head one of the top brands I will only put down Gam###y and let you guess the real name they tend to bend open and spring back into shape found this out after loosing a number of Irons S.H.and other large fish.Never have I had this happen with Mustad.Tiemco are good as wellpost-2103-0-39101800-1333587287_thumb.gif

When I started I though it was important to use the exact hook. But as I am growing with my skill I use alternatives that would be equal to. Is this common for a lot of tiers?

Guest redfly

Well as you fallow the Golden Oldies and you are able to ty with no problems and you have it down which I can see by what you have tied you appear to be there already.Ty what ever you feel like tying and as long as the hook is suitable in size for the fisah you are tying for give it heck I realy am the wrong person to tudor some one as I have been a free spirit when it comes to these flies and have fished and tied with some of them Oldies the greats as far as I am concerned they all be looking down from up above now but I remember all the flies but the names tend to be in the cob webs in the old beano but when they come to mind I run for the vise :coffeetime:

Hey Dipper I know your on the ball though.. ;):P your brain still works fast and your young at heart. Wont take long to catch up! ;) lol

Guest sagephreak

Hey Kristi, I like your fly pattern the one with red body and the dumbell eyes, you tie that in a size 2 salmon hook and hit the west coast in early fall and you will have chinook salmon trying to steal that fly. Awesome tie.

Rob

Haha, Thanks Rob That was my first ever shrimp and probably my tenth fly i tied ever. I'll take that into consideration.. and try to tie that on a size 2..

cheers

Kristi

• 2 months later...

Ok here it is; I think it to be a silly question.... Is there any sort of quick reference book for Alberta lakes and river/streams and what to tie for what month and what the fly catches?? Or is that such a ridiculous question and everyone who is reading this is PTPL. ;)

Not ridiculous at all. It is a dilemma that all anglers go through every time they go out. But there is no one source. In general lakes can be all pretty much broken down by some of the information that Brian Chan put out in his book Morris & Chan on Flyfishing Trout Lakes on page 59. There fly selection is OK and basic and as you gain experience you like all others will develop flies to you're liking to the waters you fish.Seasonal Importance of Trout Food is a good over all general chart. Sourcing for rivers there is several sites that generally go by the river. I.e. Hatch Charts for the Red Deer and Bow River can be searched on the web. The best and most accurate source is the body of water you are on at the time. Observation is the key and more observation is the main stay. It is the same old adage for all anglers. What should I carry with me? One approach is to have about a dozen go to flies in various sizes that can imitate just about anything you might encounter. Then like everyone else you carry a few hundred others just incase.There are also different hatch books, but most are for larger regions like Western Hatches by Hafele and Hughes. There are others as well that narrow it down some what to smaller geographical regions but I cant remember the name of them. I believe there is such a book at the south side wholesales sports store. I dont know what the Hole offers as there is very limited flyfishing stuff there in general.

We still need a real flyshop here in this city. Something a bit specialized.

Hi Kristi, I agree with Garhan that there is nothing better than observation. ("Sometimes you can see a lot by looking" - Yogi Berra) There are a number of good books for Alberta flyfishing, but nothing that breaks it down as exactly as which fly for which month. The reason is that each stream and/or lake is at a different latitude and elevation so what is hatching at one stream may not hatch at another stream until later. An example is the Green Drake which emerges on Stauffer Creek in June, but hatches in the cutthroat streams near Nordegg in August (higher elevation = later emergence). Garhan's advice to check out hatch charts for the rivers is a good, but there's no substitute for experience (and keeping notes which will help in subsequent years). I know when to look for hatches on my favourite streams, but having said that, sometimes if the weather is off the hatch may be delayed by a few weeks. So I carry all the flies that could work all the time.

For reading I recommend (and all these should be in the club library):

Which Fly Do I Use by Darren Banasch (a good general book on fly selection, not specifically for Alberta, but Darren lives in Okotoks and so some of his generalizations about when to use flies apply here)

The Phenological Fly by Bob Scammel (Bob links the hatches to what plants are blooming or flourishing at the time. For example, the Marsh Marigold flowers around the same time as the Green Drake emerges. But Bob is pretty much a minimalist when it comes to fly selection. The Bastard Adams in various sizes covers most of the hatches he identifies.)

Flies For Alberta edited by Ian Denny, Roy Ramdeen and Reg Denny (anglers from Alberta submitted their favourite flies. Of interest are the notes on Effective periods.)

The Essential Guide to Fly-Fishing by Clive Schaupmeyer (a general book about flyfishing, but read the chapter on Insects and artificial flies, and glean info on what works in Clive's many stories about fishing in Alberta.)

Fish & Tell & Go To Hell edited by J. Gregg Norman (essays on flyfishing in Alberta. Look for the chapter "Irresistible Offerings" by Neil Jennings and Mike Edgar. It's an old book now, so the patterns are not as popular as they once were, but still work.)

Trout Flies of Alberta and Southeastern British Columbia by Neil Jennings (good pattern book, not so good on when to use the flies. Suffers from poor colour reproduction.)

Books by Phil Rowley and Brian Chan for lake fishing.

And there are lots of "where to go" books that have bits of information on flies to use. Jim McLennan's many books. Due North of Montana by Chris Dawson. Barry Mitchell's Alberta Trout Highway (which has the best photograph ever published on page 263 ;)

I hope this helps.

Michael

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes; thank you Michael, for your help.