Prairie Creek

flyfish

Just looking for information on fishing Prairie Creek. Explored the North, South and Centre Forks. Anyone willing to give info on the best streach or any info would be appricated. Prairie looks like its also accessable from Secondary 752 and Range Road 390 heading east as it comes back to meet the Cline, any info on the fishing there as well, or any where in the area. Too lazy to sit in a belly boat, from the locals they say Struble is fishing O.k

-Thanks in advance for any information shared.

The rest of the North Sasketchewan drainage is fishing well, fished most of the tributaries on the forestery trunk, Shunda, Joice, Cripple, Onion, Hummingbird, Easy, Nice, Philip, Elk after the South Ram, good numbers of fish, up to 12 inches in the smaller creeks. The North/South and main Ram River is fishing well, bigger fish after mile 14 on the North Ram, the river has changed since the flooding, Friday was a 40+ day with most fish taken upstream of the Ram River Bridge. Fish are starting to pool for winter. First time a cutt has refused my trusty Nymph pattern for a dry. I experienced about 4 blue winged olive hatches on diffrent parts of the river, and of course they are always about a seize 24, they rally key in on the seize and colour, which was a very pale olive/yellow. I can never match the hatch, so i watch them chase to the end of the pool to feast.

Fished the North Raven River and its tributaries yesterday, I saw four 18" to 24" browns for the first time laying in one pool, slurping PMD's in the early AM. Was on the river at the second bridge (Buck for Wildlife)....it's the big hole at the end of the fence as it makes the bend. Tread lightly, they know you are comming. As Dave Robinson say's he seen a lot of after they take off downstream, I saw the same, difficult fishing, the willows are raly starting to overgrow the banks, and the weeds have taken over, but i am sure the browns like the cover. Did not catch any fish, I am totally out of tuned to Barry Mitchell and Don Anderson's waters, determined to head back on Friday for more discouragment. Must of lost a flybox of files in the willows, got to carry more tippet material, rally out of tuned to the creek. Caught brookies at the headwaters and the springs. Saw some nice large signs, at each bridge, good conservation work.

Cheers Roy...

Roy

Thanks for the detailed report....sounds like you had a great time fishing. I've only fished Prairie a couple of times and on both occasions have not done all that well so I can't offer any comments as to where to fish it but I'm sure a club member or two will fill in the blanks.

Good luck this weekend.

Vince

Roy

Thanks for the detailed report....sounds like you had a great time fishing. I've only fished Prairie a couple of times and on both occasions have not done all that well so I can't offer any comments as to where to fish it but I'm sure a club member or two will fill in the blanks.

Good luck this weekend.

Vince

Thanks Vince,

No one yet, i know Dennis has fished it, but he's off for a week, hopfully fishing. Its been a few years, I have a few ideas, where to go. I am trying to map all the holes by GPS. It's hot again out here and can see a couple of stoneflies.

Will try the upper forks.

Cheers roy...

Well persistence pays off. went back to visit my friends, the 4 were still sitting in the pool, big browns don't move around too much, photo of only 3, (lower left) spooked the largest estimated to be 24+ inches, he headed to his spot in the weeds. Caught a 12". Will try for the bigger tomorrow.

post-276-1315636656_thumb.jpg