What Would You Like In A Bamboo Rod

DennisS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don

Funny you should say that as I was thinking about doing that last night but sad to say that I so have to hold off for a bit. Christmas is just around the corner and with 7 grandkids the financial hit is not for the faint of heart. I'm sure that you and I will, one day soon, get a deal done on a 3 piece with an extra tip, 3 weight but in a length of 7'9 to 7'10 (if that length is possible).

Vince

Don

Funny you should say that as I was thinking about doing that last night but sad to say that I so have to hold off for a bit. Christmas is just around the corner and with 7 grandkids the financial hit is not for the faint of heart. I'm sure that you and I will, one day soon, get a deal done on a 3 piece, 3 weight but in a length of 7'9 to 7'10 (if that length is possible).

Vince

Vinny needs the length........he's old

:coffeetime:

Dan

Dan

Right you are...Vince is old but remember this...with age comes wisdom and mine tells me that 7'9 to 7'10 " is my preferred length. Yes, it's only 3 or 4 more inches but I can tell you that in my world 3 inches makes quite a bit of difference....not so much in the casting department but in the physiolgical department. My small stream rods in both 1 and 3 weights started at 7 foot for a couple of years which were replaced by 7'6 for a couple of years which were replaced by 7'10" and I can tell you that of the 3 lengths I much prefer the 7'10". So, there you have it....two truths with the first one being that Vince is old and the second is that in 1 and 3 wieghts Vince prefers a length of 7'10.

See you at the club on Wednsday

Vince

Pull the trigger, Vince. One way or another you're going to end up with a cane in your life. Which one comes first is up to you, for now. I only say this out of love, buddy. Tough love, maybe...

As a very wise friend of mine often says, sometimes you just have to treat yourself.

Junior

It's about time that you called me "a very wise man" and I thank you for not calling me "a very wise old man". The saying, to be honest, came from my son Paul and I really should treat myself. I need more time to ponder but one thing for sure I really do want a 3 weight, 7'9" 2 peice cane rod. Need more time to ponder.

Terry

I've got a good feeling about winning this rod and by the sounds of it you seem to have a similar feeling about you winning the rod. I keep thinking how good the rod would feel in my hand while we're fishing that beautiful stretch of water on the _____________ as well as _____________ and ___________ that we fished this year. Ah, the mind's eye is a beautiful thing but more time needed to ponder.

Cheers boys

Vince

Vince its not that i do not think you should have a bamboo rod, but really don't you think it would be nice if someone other than you won.

Some one like me.

Someone who appreciates all the fine work that goes into a well crafted rod,

someone who would look after it and care for it for years, give it the fine home it deserves.

Give it a place in the home were all would admire and pay it's do respect.

Some one like me

Who would take it to some of the best fishing spots in Alberta, and Canada.

Some one who would take it nymth fishing, were all the real fish are

Now Vince really now what do you say?

Junior

It's about time that you called me "a very wise man" and I thank you for not calling me "a very wise old man". The saying, to be honest, came from my son Paul and I really should treat myself. I need more time to ponder but one thing for sure I really do want a 3 weight, 7'9" 2 peice cane rod. Need more time to ponder.

Terry

I've got a good feeling about winning this rod and by the sounds of it you seem to have a similar feeling about you winning the rod. I keep thinking how good the rod would feel in my hand while we're fishing that beautiful stretch of water on the _____________ as well as _____________ and ___________ that we fished this year. Ah, the mind's eye is a beautiful thing but more time needed to ponder.

Cheers boys

Vince

Vinny can't you remember where you fished in the Crowsnest ! you poor forgettful, old soul .

Grumpy

and now we hear from the cheap seats...no home for the bamboo rod like my home and I know you'll agree Keith that it will be better in my hands where it will not be subjected to lob of a nymph.

and Dan

Darn if I can remember the names of those streams down south...got to be old age.

Vince

No Vince don't you think a rodl as nice as that would appreciate a good work out.

And you no as well as I that all the big fish are deep,

And the only way to catch a big fish is with a nymph,

But then again if you want one of the weaker, slimmer cousin, than use a dry fly.

Back to the rod

Vince do you know when they are shipping the rod to me? By the way any idea as to the perfect reel for this rod,

O K Grumpy

Here is all of the news that is suitable to print...I don't know who you've been hanging around with but if you want to catch big fish on the dry you need to hang around me a bit more. Why go deep when there are more than enough fish to catch on the dry but if you want to go fishing with a nymph then please do so and I'll be right behind you doing the usual cleanup by catching the big boys you scared away when all of that weight and bobber stuff hit's the water. Now, if truth be told, I don't have anything against the use of a nymph and I've been known to use one from time to time.....it's just not my cup of tea. Having said all of that...I've decided that next year is the year that I give nymphing a good go.

As far as the reel for the bamboo goes...I'm not sure at the moment but it does have to be pretty enough and good enough to be a part of the bamboo team.

Vince

Well guy's I guess I'm going to have to step in here and clear the air a bit. First I have no hankering for a cane rod(sorry Don No slite intended) I'm just a Graphite man.

Now this nymphing thing Vince you say you nymphed time to time. I think we can safely say just time, as I've only seen it happen once. As for you saying next year is the time to give nymphing a go, I've heard that one for the last 5yrs and still haven't seen it happen.

Now the the facts it's said that 90% of the fish caught is caught under the surface, so my thought is my chance's or anyone elses chances nymphing have a far greater chance to catch bigger fish than you. :laugh: Maybe old age has really caught up and you can't remember the actual size of the fish you actually caught. <_< That could be the case since you can not remember the name of those southern streams. Or you just can't tell the difference between 4inches or 12inches. :unsure:

Talk to Wed Vince Good luck on that cane rod if it's anything like that Winston Rod at the silent auction not to worry.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

...first things first... :hijacked-pirate2: ...although the style of fishing either dry or nymph is interesting...this post topic is all about what you would want in a bamboo rod...we should leave it at that...ribbing is good for the mind and heart, but let's maybe start a new category "Dry" or "Nymph" fishing... :beating::whoot::beating:

now Come on Paul,

Vince and Dennis and i know each other and have fished with one other to bring our bantering ot of the closet and put it on the web.

Now as a wood worker and machinist, i appreciate the work that goes into a fine Fly rod, more so than some others i know,

A good 4 or 5 is great for any fly fisher, no matter how many fly rods they have, Fuji ceramic stripping guides

Hard chromed snake guides, a High grade, custom tapered, shaped cork handles with Walnut wood and Golden Bronze-colored aluminum anodized freshwater reel seat.

I prefer the wraps to be Varathane and not epoxied.

A rod like this will give you the feel of that slight tug when the fish takes your nymph, not from the splash you get from it taking your dry.

I mean Vince, really, all you need is a twig from the tree you are sleeping under.

even those

Paul your right shouldn't have hi jack the topic. :beating: It's just it's not every day you get to give Vince a Jab about his nympying or should I say lack of nymph. :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing Don's Cane Rod, they are a thing of beauty. I usually purchase a couple of tickets. :thumbup: Not sure what I would do with it if I won. I might have to discuss that with Rick or Vince.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Paul

Right you are on the ribbing...should be on another post but having said that you should note that the posts should have ended after Don stated that the rod he chose for us was in the process of being made and he was putting on various items to the rod. Therefore no further info from club members was required so the posts took another direction. Nothing wrong with that as I can tell you that the number of people that post to our forum is low and I mean low so any activity should be considered a welcome addition. Having said that I do look forward to further progress reports from Don as to how the rod is coming along.

I've taken the liberty of starting a new topic so lets move the thoughts and comments over to the new topic.

Vince

Guys/gals,

I own <>50 rods some made of bamboo, fiberglass and some made of high>med>low modulus graphite materials. For trout fishing using line weights of 6 or less, I use bamboo. For larger line sizes, I use graphite. Why - bamboo allows me to cast accurately at short distances <>50' + do various line manipulations. Graphite shines when longer casts + larger flies are in order.

Mind you, I did land 7 steelhead on a 9' 7wt. bamboo rod that was build by a friend for another friend who when he died his widow sold it to a another friend of us all who lent it to me to fish. Plus, of course, the world's finest spey rods are made of bamboo.

And before all the plastic guys get huffy, the world's largest freshwater fish were all caught on bamboo rods. Only when off-shore saltwater fish were challenged did plastic rods come into their own.

regards,

Don

Don

I watched a program on TV a while ago which was hosted by Ed Engle and he said the same thing….up to a 5 or 6 weight he prefers to use cane but in line sizes over 6 he prefers to use graphite.

I have a question for you. I really enjoyed the feel and action of the cane rod you made for us last year (in fact I fell in love with it but I was not lucky enough to be the winner) and I’m wondering if that same action can be had in a 3 piece, 7’9” 3 weight ? or would you suggest a different taper / action. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Vince

Don

I watched a program on TV a while ago which was hosted by Ed Engle and he said the same thing….up to a 5 or 6 weight he prefers to use cane but in line sizes over 6 he prefers to use graphite.

I have a question for you. I really enjoyed the feel and action of the cane rod you made for us last year (in fact I fell in love with it but I was not lucky enough to be the winner) and I’m wondering if that same action can be had in a 2 piece, 7’9” 3 weight ? or would you suggest a different taper / action. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Vince

Vince,

Sure that is possible.

But wait till you try this one. I got the final coats of varnish on the rod a couple of days ago. Was cleaning off the tape from this and that and wondered if a picture was in order. The rod will get guides starting tomorrow. And NO!!!! the plane or reel are not for sale. Hopefulyl get to "lawn"cast the rod before December 1.

regards,

Don

post-190-1321661683_thumb.jpg