Inbound To Edmonton

Quentin

Hi all,

I will be moving to Edmonton this summer, and figure it may be best to start getting ahead of the curve to learn my new fishing domain, and the fly fishing community that goes with it. I've been reading a bit on the fishing opportunities in the area, such as the Top 10 places around Edmonton article that was in the Canadian Fly Fisher magazine last year. But, somehow, I think reading alone will be enough. As a Maritimer (currently in Ottawa), I'm sure that there will be some new "norms" for me to get used to. I'm hoping the club will help me with those.

I have a few basic questions, if you're willing:

1) About when is ice-out on your local (within 60-90mins) lakes?

2) Generally, when do they freeze?

3) Are there any summer/autumn fishing opportunities that I'd need to start planning for now?

4) If I'm in Edmonton in mid-April looking for a house, should I bring my fly-rod?

I look forward to your answers, and thank you in advance. I also look forward to attending a meeting.

QT

Quentin glad to here or coming out to our wonderful country. I am sure you will enjoy it. The fish speicies out here are somewhat limited compared to Ont. or the East Coast. It will be a bit of a learning curve for you but your off on the right foot already. Let us know when your coming out and for sure we can get together at the club. We have a very easy going and Knowledgeable bunch of guy and a lot that are willing to share that knowledge. Looking forward to having you out to the club. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

Well Quentin This may not be the best year to ask about ice off. We will be lucky this year if we are fishing lakes by May long weekend this year. On a more normal year Ice off starts around the last couple of weeks of Apr to a week or 2into May. We have pond not to far from Edm. That opens 1st of May called Muir that normally is open by then. Part because if has 2 airators in it. It has speacial regs. you can only keep one fish over 20in.

Not sure if your into river fishing but there is some opurtunities starting Apr 1 when several of the rivers open for fishing, again that's in a normal yr.

Bringing your rod in mid Apr is going to be Hit or miss depending on what your doing no Lakes will be ice free as of yet. If you give some warning you might be able to hook up with someone and do a river. Keep in mined that most rivers are at least a 2hr drive from Edmonton.

Alot of the lakes can start freezing med Oct but usually around Nov most are starting to freeze up pretty good,

Most of the rivers but not all shut down Oct 31 and we have fun trying to get out on the last day.

I suppose if there a day to plan for it would be June 15 as all the streams then open up for fishing. Then after that I depeneds what you like fishing for. A lot of the club members plan trips down to the Crowsnest & Oldman river area.

Other like fishing grayling and make plans from late aug to close Oct31.

I am sure you will have a few more response. With a lot more info that I gave you.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Thanks for the welcome, Dennis. Wow, the seasonal opportunty is quite different than home. Mid-May to Mid-Oct is only five months! I fear that I am in for some cabin fever.

I am not too picky of a fisherman, though I much prefer trout to "warm" water species. I've enjoyed Atlantic salmon and steelhead in the past. I have a kayak and a float tube for the lakes, but I enjoy a day wading a river a bit more. I don't mind a bit of a drive to go fishing, but of course I won't know where to start right away. Which reminds me to ask: what are the land ownership/trespassing issues and norms in Alberta? I haven't quite figured out Ont/Que, but we were blessed in Nova Scotia: It is legal to cross any "unimproved" property for the purposes of angling. In 90ish years we've had the law, it has appearantly never been challenged.

As for April, I'm fairly certain my wife wouldn't let me take a full day to go fishing, when I'm supposed to be looking for a house with her. Maybe a couple of hours, if something was closer. :/ However, if a trip is being planned for Aug/Sept, I would be very interested in trying to join (pending availability, of course). Is it common to travel to BC for fishing?

QT

Hello ,

The Bow , in Calgary( a 3 hr drive ) is open all year, there are warmer days during the winter, so it can be fished.The Red Deer river ( a 2hr drive ) is open untill the end of Feb and reopens May 20th down stream of Dickson Dam. There are other streams open west of Red Deer earlier in the year also. Check the Regs on line section ES2. We do target goldeye and mooneye in Edmonton ( summer and fall )

See you at the club.

Dan

Rick I'm not so sure this yr, It might be fishable but it's getting to the fishable water. There's still a ton of snow out there. :eek: This yr is nothing like last yr. Heck I've fished the Stauffer in Mar with hardly no snow some yrs.

I hope your right though Daughter has the new loft almost done so I have a place to stay that is only 15minutes from the Stauffer. :clap::clap:

Tight Lines Always

If you hit towm early enough on the 9th, and your wife doesn't tie you down, drop by the club meeting to meet the guys.

We start around 7pm and finish well before 9

It's a free tie night so you'll have a chance to visit.

Queen Mary Park Community Hall 10844 - 117th st.

Dave

Looks like I'll be in Edmonton from 9-15 April to look for a house. I'll bring some fly gear with me, in case we find a house quickly....

QT

If you hit towm early enough on the 9th, and your wife doesn't tie you down, drop by the club meeting to meet the guys.

We start around 7pm and finish well before 9

It's a free tie night so you'll have a chance to visit.

Queen Mary Park Community Hall 10844 - 117th st.

Dave

Thank you. I didn't see that listed on the Calendar. It looked like the meetings were on Wednesday nights, but nothing seems to be listed for April. What is the general calendar like: once a week, take a break during the summer, type of thing?

QT

Yep!

That's pretty much the drill

Meetings are weekly from a soon as school is in in early Sept to about mid June

I've just finished the April Newsletter and will get it to Ken for posting later today.

I'll also put the April stuff in the Calender

• 2 months later...

I'm counting the days till I leave for Edmonton. It seems I'll be living about 20 mins from Muir Lake. I did a bit of research, and it seems to be a very shallow lake, at 20' and under. What type of patterns do I need to start tying for Muir?

I enjoyed the company, btw, at the meeting my wife and I made it to in March/April.

Quentin

Be sure to post when you arrive. You'll probably find someone to come out and say hi or to show you the ropes!

Patterns for Muir:

Chironomids - size 12 to 18 - tie several patterns, black, olive, red and green, red with and without bead head. Those without tie with a heavy thorax and give them some gills with white marbou or antron and fish them as emergers.

Leeches - Dennis will have to introduce you to his llama leech. Otherwise tie a variety of leech patterns in olive and black. Weight heavily. You might want to google Phil Rowley's web page and tie some balanced leeches.

Streamers - Doc Spratley works in most porthole lakes around here as does a Carey Special

Dragons - dragonfly and damsel fly imitations work in the shallows before it warms up

Drys - Griffiths gnat, Adams and Henry's lake renegade

Dave

Quinten the 20 ft mark at Miur is about the size of a hockey puck. The rest of the lake is actually very shallow. in the 10 to 12 ft range mostly. That is the reason we have to put 2 airrators in it for the winter months.

It's been fishing tough this yr. Not sure if it's the late spring or just the crappy spring we have had this year.

I'm not far from Muir either about 10 min. As Dave said chironomids are the main fair but leechs are pretty important. Some of the guys I've heard this year are doing well with a Stickle Back minnow patterns, cast really really close to shore.

Yes there is no problem giving you the receipt for the Llama leech. People tease about this fly but it works. That is almost my go to fly around these parts.

Stream fishing is on hold with all this rain and the huge Snow pack in the mountians this year. It's going to be weeks before we get onto some of our favorite streams.

As Dave said let us know when your in town and we can get together out on one of the local lakes.

Talk to you when you get in

Tight Lines Always