Oct 13 Meeting

kemo99

I'm preparing a presentation for tomorrow's meeting about GPS technology and how I use it for fishing.

Here's part of what I hope to cover:

What is a GPS and how does it work?

What are some key features as applied to a fishing trip?

What should I look for when buying a GPS?

What all do I need to get started?

Demonstration of a 'Trail GPS' vs a 'Car GPS'.

Demonstration of some mapping software.

ken

Ken I also looking forward to this I've got a GPS but only use it for a high end compass. It will be good to learn what a person can actually do with these outfits.

Really looking forward to this.

Again thank you Ken for your volunteering your time for the club.

Tight Lines Always.

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Scratch It was a good presentation. He don't recall any mention of the new Campsite program or the GPSMap 62 series . Is that a new revision to the maping program.

It sure helped to understand how to work between the GPS & your computer.

It gave me instentive to use it fishing Sat and manage to cut off some of the more unproductive water.

Tight lines Always

I didn't talk about the new features on the new devices. In the demo I showed a bit of satellite imagery in Google Earth. What Birdseye does is allow you to import the satellite imagery directly into your mapping program so you don't have to use Google Earth separately. One advantage is that you could save waypoints to the GPS without having to flip back and forth between different programs. The satellite images can be sent to the device, so you can look at them in the field.

Theres more detail here:

On the Garmin site, the BirdsEye page shows the compatible devices. There are several Oregon models on the list (200, 300, 400 are all compatible). You might need to upgrade to the latest Mapsource version (Free) and use the webupdater to get the latest software on the device. In the FAQ, there are instructions for how to get a free demo of BirdsEye. (The normal price of 1 year subscription to the BirdsEye imagery is about $30.)

ken

On the Garmin site, the BirdsEye page shows the compatible devices. There are several Oregon models on the list (200, 300, 400 are all compatible). You might need to upgrade to the latest Mapsource version (Free) and use the webupdater to get the latest software on the device. In the FAQ, there are instructions for how to get a free demo of BirdsEye. (The normal price of 1 year subscription to the BirdsEye imagery is about $30.)

ken

That's correct. The Garmin Oregon 300,400 certainly support Birdseye (paid) through Basecamp (which is free). The demo allows 1 map (about a mile only) for trial purposes. The 29.95 a year is the best 60$ I've spent... (since I have both the Oregon and the 62s) Hunting / Fishing is a dream when the sat maps are good. You can see right down to the trails you walk for some areas.

I'll bring it to a future event / meeting sometime to share.

/g

Greg that would be great. not sure which model I have I think it's either 200 or 300. Well have to check this out.

Tight Lines Always

ken

That's correct. The Garmin Oregon 300,400 certainly support Birdseye (paid) through Basecamp (which is free). The demo allows 1 map (about a mile only) for trial purposes. The 29.95 a year is the best 60$ I've spent... (since I have both the Oregon and the 62s) Hunting / Fishing is a dream when the sat maps are good. You can see right down to the trails you walk for some areas.

I'll bring it to a future event / meeting sometime to share.

/g