Why I Don't Want To Join Your Club?

Russell

This evening I started to set up my fly tying bench, how humble it is, for the winter, and thought about your club.

Almost a year ago I dropped by the Wednesday evening meeting and was not impressed.

This is why I am not impressed.

In one corner it appeared that a bunch of TU people sat.

In the other corner a bunch of fly tying people sat.

That is no problem.

This is what was the problem

Up front was some guy screaming at this divided crowd.

This person up front looked at me like I was a member and implicating that I joined that year to get the a ten percent discount in stores. I don't need no ten percent discount when I purchase outdoor gear.

This person also berated the members for not selling raffle tickets for some dinner at a steak house. My goodness, is a person who is a member of your club supposed to go door to door, like someone from a religious cult to pay for some meal at some slop house? Get serious.

This person also cut down the president of the club. This was behind his back. I do not like seeing things like thiis.

Backstabbing the president Hmm.

After the great speech, I went to try and talk to people.

In the corner was a gentleman tying flies. I tried to communicate with him, and he only mumbled something. I did not want to upset this gentleman and hope his medication is working well.

I thank you letting me use this site. but I will not be seeing you at the Hall.

Best wishes

I wish I could have been more positive.

This evening I started to set up my fly tying bench, how humble it is, for the winter, and thought about your club.

Almost a year ago I dropped by the Wednesday evening meeting and was not impressed.

This is why I am not impressed.

In one corner it appeared that a bunch of TU people sat.

In the other corner a bunch of fly tying people sat.

That is no problem.

This is what was the problem

Up front was some guy screaming at this divided crowd.

This person up front looked at me like I was a member and implicating that I joined that year to get the a ten percent discount in stores. I don't need no ten percent discount when I purchase outdoor gear.

This person also berated the members for not selling raffle tickets for some dinner at a steak house. My goodness, is a person who is a member of your club supposed to go door to door, like someone from a religious cult to pay for some meal at some slop house? Get serious.

This person also cut down the president of the club. This was behind his back. I do not like seeing things like thiis.

Backstabbing the president Hmm.

After the great speech, I went to try and talk to people.

In the corner was a gentleman tying flies. I tried to communicate with him, and he only mumbled something. I did not want to upset this gentleman and hope his medication is working well.

I thank you letting me use this site. but I will not be seeing you at the Hall.

Best wishes

I wish I could have been more positive.

Too bad it was a bad experience for you Russell. I’ve been to a few meetings over the last several years, some meetings aren’t as great as I’d like them to be but then I find life and fishing are like that....some good days and some great days. I always felt what really matters is how one deals with it. I’ve learnt a lot from many of the club members who shared their stories and techniques, but most of all I appreciate all the countless hours of their volunteering and giving for the benefit of the sport and other great causes. Enjoy your fly tying.

John

Russell

Relying on a single visit may not give you a true picture of the organization.

Over the years we have done our best to identify and welcome new members and visitors.

We enjoy, and in fact need, new faces. It's one of the things that keeps a group from going stale.

I appreciate your comments and will see that our executive addresses your concerns.

However, I urge you to give us another chance.

Drop by a meeting and introduce yourself as a visitor. My picture is here for just that purpose

Tell us what you came for and how we can help.

You may be pleasantly surprised at the response.

Edited by dave robinson

Perhaps the club could at the start of the meeting ask if there are any 1st time attendees / recent new members in the crowd and introduce them and maybe get/ask for a brief history about them. Such as:

Hi, I'm so and so, I've started ffing 3 years now, I usually fish Edson potholes and the occasional es stream. My favourite species to angle for is the brookie. I do/don't tie flies, I troll alot and don't enjoy chironomiding. I can't do a double haul yet and I have yet to catch a brown.

This information may help break the ice and may allow a fellow member to more easily approach you and say, " I can teach you to double haul if you're interested ?" etc...

Just a thought....

Pierre:

Thanks for the idea.

We normally do a "round the room" where everyone gives their name and we generally do ask for visitors and new members to identify themselves.

But the added information request would be a good idea. Heck we could even do that with some of our existing members, by asking:

What are you tying up this week, where did you go fishing in the last while, can you use some help with anything?

Sounds like a plan. I'll float it to the prez tonight.

Oh, and by the way, if you DO need help with that double haul, come see me. I'd be glad to help

Dave

Russell

It is rather unfortunate that the meeting you attended was the one meeting of the year that was, at best, quite disturbing. I recall the meeting and it did leave a sour taste on the vast majority of club members. The person that had the outburst did apologize to all at the following meeting. It is presumptuous of me to say for sure but I suspect the outburst was caused by frustration, though I cannot be sure.

I have been a very proud member of Northern Lights for many years and like all clubs that rely on volunteers there are times when things go sideways and you hit the night when the meeting did go sideways. Try to look past this rather unfortunate meeting and give us another opportunity to prove to you that we are a club worth your time as we are a club that not only teaches but donates time and considerable financial support to some very worthwhile organizations.

In addition, I know of no other club that brings in high profile tyers and speakers on a regular basis and charges some a nominal amount to attend.

I’m very proud of our club for the time we spend teaching our hobby and I’m proud of the time, effort and dollars we donate but in order for us to continue our good work we need to raise funds not only on a weekly basis through our 50 / 50’s but also through our annual auction which you referred to as selling raffle tickets for a dinner at a steak house.

Through our forum, please read the last year or so of our newsletter’s to get a better idea of who we are and what we’ve done….it will be worthwhile.

Having said what was on my mind I have to say that I do take issue with your comment to one of our members being on medication...not an appropriate comment.

I do hope you will give the club another opportunity.

Vince

While the replies here may not reach or interest Russell in giving the Northern Lights another go,

I think anyone who has read the responses closely will see that there's plenty of folks here

who are more than willing to open up and welcome new members and visitors.

So if you are interested in fly fishing and tying

or simply want to find out what those things are all about,

then come out to a meeting and introduce yourself.

We'll do our best to make you feel at home.

• 2 weeks later...

While the replies here may not reach or interest Russell in giving the Northern Lights another go,

I think anyone who has read the responses closely will see that there's plenty of folks here

who are more than willing to open up and welcome new members and visitors.

So if you are interested in fly fishing and tying

or simply want to find out what those things are all about,

then come out to a meeting and introduce yourself.

We'll do our best to make you feel at home.

Okay Dave, you've got me convinced! What time does the shuttle leave Fox Creek? :whootwhoo:

John:

Actually, this time of year, some of us are headed that way.

Maybe there's as chance to meet up on stream.

Between chasing down backswimmer flights and chucking dead rabbits for pike, not too likely but my lifeplan does dictate winning the lottery in October and will leave more time for chasing tiny grayling around! :fishing:

Without coming close to a lottery winning (I suppose one would have to actually buy a ticket) I managed to find a few tiny grayling on Sunday. Was great day to be out in the back country. I'm waiting for my buddy to send me his photos so I can post a few. (left my own camera at home).

Now if a lottery winning was really in the cards, I can think of a few other places to spend it for fishing. Cuba, Argentina and New Zealand come quicly to mind.

Sounds like I missed a good meeting. What, no fist to cuffs this week? :vdaylove:

LOL, I think I know who the "mumbler" was whom was tying flies too!

How many times did he break his thread? I know I mumble when I do that.. way too often too.