Llama Leech Provales Again

DennisS

Well made another trip to the mighty Embarass. Decide that didn't want to end up like my last trip so I talked Dave R. to come with me. I think we had a good time. We left edmonton with visions of nice fat Grayling wacking the heck out of our flies. Skies were sunny and looked like a great day. I was chomping on the bit to get out to try a new pattern but also ment I was hopper droppering it for the day. Alass no 1wt. heart broken on that point. We got to Edson stopped for a bite and dam it the skies don't open up and it peas down rain for a good hr. We decide that we would get wet for a couple of hr just to get the lines wet. Well the fishing gods are on our side for a change. We get one of my favourite spots to fish but the old 4x4 trail in is looking pretty snotty. I take a look then turn to Dave and he said we aren't getting in there. I give it a shot in 2wd and the truck just slid right back down. Poped it into 4wd and get 1/2 way up and starts spinning. I must admit one should have maybe stop right there but I'm one not to given up so easy. Back up the Dodge dropped into 4L and gave her. Well the little baby just walk up the hill like nothing. I looked over at Dave and he eyes were starting to glaze over. So off we go. Then we come to a hill down and a quick left at the bottom with a big mud hole the bottom. I look and Dave and shakes his had and says it looks this is about as far as we can go. I'm thinking we come t his far not turning back now. Head down the hill hit mud hole then I crank her to the left to start up and the whole truck starts sliding towards the drop off on the right. I hear some noise comming from Dave but I was to busy consintrating to keep the truck moving forward. Finally the wheels catch and we're headed back up hill. We get to the top and I look over at Dave. He's holding onto the passanger hand grip and his knuckle were white and his eyes were complete glazed over. I'm sure I smelt a foul order emenating from the passager set. Mind you Dave did have a smile on his face but I haven't decide if it was from fear or just happy that we made up the hill. Any way the rest of the trip in was some what mondane a couple of mud holes and one more quick left turn but didn't slide as bad and no cliff to worry about.

We finally got to our distanation. We got out and Dave got down on his hands and knees and Kisses the ground. Still not sure why must be a ritual to the fish gods he does before going fishing.

Well is so it sure didn't work. We fished about an hour and 5 or 6 very promising holes and not even a sniff. It hadn't started raining yet but it was really threatning too. We decide that we would head to where the Sundance flowes into the Macloed. Not sure why but the way out seem easier then going in. We makes it out relativily unhurt. Even the Dodge faired out not to bad. So off we head. Well motoring down the highway I notice a rode off to the right and figure it might get us close to the river. So off we go again. We follow the road in and sure enough it starts to run paraelle with the road. We find a likily looking spot to park the truck and venture in. Well what we find is a huge gentle bend with the deep water on our side shallowing out to the other side. I says to Dave that I guess we need to be on the other side. Dave says no just fish from this side. I say the heck with that and leave him fish the back from that side and I cross over. Well the water depth was somewhat deceptive but did manage with out getting wet to get to the other side. I works my way down the bank to where it makes the bend and the water looks the deepest. I was using just a hopper and cast it to the bank a couple of times. I was gocking around looking at the senery and turned just as I was going to left my fly up and cast again when wack something hammers my fly. I was so shocked I yanked on the line and sure enough broke fly and fish off. I had a few choice adjetive for the situation put on another hopper and drifted if down threw the run with no luck at all. I finally said screw it and decided to put on my Llama leech and a split shot. Made my first cast and wack again surprised and missed the first hit. I casted back out and no sooner started to strip it back I get another hit and this time I sets the hook really good. The fish puts up a pretty good scrap and low and behold it a nice 11+inch Grayling. By this time Dave had given up the far back and had works his way across and was down stream from me. He was rumaging through his fly box for something that remottly resemble my Llama leech. Any way back to the fast and furious. I Cast in again and wack again and this time it's a smallish Rocky. I get him off a then proceed to miss a couple then wham and I'm into another Rocky but this time this one is giving my 3wt a bit of a work out. Finally get him to had it a very nice 14inch or better Rocky. The darn thing has swallowed the hook so had to give it away. I yell down to Dave that if he didn't have any Llama leech that I had a couple he could have for a reasonable price (no just kidding) He decide to come and get one. I turned and started cast back into the hole and had several more strikes then turned to see where Dave was at. I turned just as he made a step and went from butt deep to just about over his waders. You could see that he was trying to make himself weigh liter then water. He step form solid bottom to Loon poo

It was a close one but Dave kepted his pride and never got wet. He finally made over so I gave him a couple of my flies and off he goes. I manage one more grayling again in the 11+ inch range. All of t he fish put up really good fight. We decide to pack up and go as the hole I was in wasn't producing any more and Dave still hadn't caught anything.

Now you would think the story would be finished but it was still early like only 2pm so we decide to still give the Macloed a look. I know what coming but Dave doesn't The road in has a bit of 4x4ing but nothing to hassardess. Someone a couple of yrs. ago had put a load of rock acrossed the road so you had to go up and around then back onto the road. Well get there and find out they have put a gate across instead. So off I go up and over (mistake #1.) get up and the way down is really steep Dave says we're not going to make it I ease the truck forward and the front wheels slip over the edge and sort of hanges me up from backing up and out. So I just let it go dwon we go Dave white knuckling it again. I also get that strange smurffy oder gain. I look at Dave and he has a sheepish look on his face. Off we go I follow the trail until I find a spot to get down and back onto the road.(mistake #2) We have a couple of more adventursome spots to get by but manage to get by them. Then we come to the top of the hill which overlooks this prime hole. Its full of ruts and nothing but gumbo clay all the way down. I turns to Dave and says to him what he thought. He said not a chance. I takes a look at the hill then takes a look around us and see that we have a big balck rain cloud coming in. I look at Dave and agree that there no way one is going down there unless we walk down. Dave says the heck with it and lets call it a day because it was going to any at any time. So back into the truck we get and starts out. Well the skies open up and it just down pours. Dave says what it we cann't get out of here. I said that if worst come to worst I would drive up to the gate and some how get out!!!!?????. We get to the spot that I had come down and damed if the ground is too slippery to get out. Backs up and get semi hung up but eventually manage to work myself off the hump of stuck on. We gets back onto the road and Dave says lets try the gate anyway. We drive up to gate and low a behold there a chain wrapped around it but no lock.

Moral of this part of the story check the gates before asumming that it lock. Saves a lot nerves and a helps stop the need to wash ones underware.

Dave got out of the truck to open the gate and when he got back in the first thing he said was we should stop for a beer in Edson. Not sure why.

So a good time was had by all. Fish caught not many Good fellowship "I think"!!!! Right Dave.

On a side note. We did stop in at Rons Sporting goods. A very nice store I picked up a couple of things but the prize of the day was the Moose Snot Dry Fly Floatent I pick up.

If your ever through Edson and have some spare time stop in and take a look around.

I hope you all enjoy this little adventure. 98%fact with 2%embelishment.

That's my store and I'm sticking to you. Unless Dave wants to tell the truth.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump::coffeetime:

With the extreme nature of that journey, I was sure that the destination was going to be a spellchecker, not a river...

:drinked:

Great tale Dennis - and Dave, if you ever feel the need to fish with Dennis again I have a lifejacket and a helmet you can borrow.

Guys sorry about the spelling. Fishing & Spelling have never been my strong points. I just hope you got the jest of the story. Just trying to spice up the web page a bit.

Scatch is there a spell ck on this forum. If there is it never works for me.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

That foul odour Dennis was talking about wasn't from my side of the truck. Apparently Dennis didn't air out the inside of his waders last trip so the stink was from the other side. Given his previous beaver run crossing, it may not have been just mildew either. By the way, this time he didn't step into the beaver run, he chickened out and went around. And the reason I caught no fish is twofold, one - he hogged the only hole with fish in it and two, he gave me a defective (dennisized) fly. I also wondered if the smelly waders covered up his normal scent and the fish didn't know it was a human. I bought some scent remover at Rons in Edson just in case for next time..

Thanks Neil for the vote of confedance. I'm sure there is more good stories out there. I sure can not be the only one that has these type of experinces and mishap while out fishing.

Not sure why though I'm starting to have problems getting any one to go fishing with me.

Your right we need more to spice up our web page.

All kidding aside thanks Dave was a great time with a fishing buddy. :clap:

Oh, that small Dave had more of a smurffy taint to then mildew. I'm also pretty sure it coming from your side of the truck. As defective flies. Did you honestly think I was going to give you that was going to work. :devil:

Ya Dave & I enjoyed stoping into Rons Sporting Good Stire lots of neat stuff in there . Like Dave said he pick up something that takes your stink away while fishing(which Dave need big time before going for that beer. I picked a couple of bottles of Moose Snot (Dry Fly Floatant) It was garanteed to work as good or better than Gink.

Tight Lines Always

I find that when I post things on this site I seldom get any response. It seems that there is a select group of people who communicate with each other but not with others. I would suggest that it is only people who go to the club meetings that talk to each other. I on the other hand work until 9 every night and can’t come to meetings but still enjoy the camaraderie of my online people with similar interests. have a great day...Neil

Great story Dennis! - sounds like a blast! One of these days I'll have to see if I can't tag along... My Jeep has a winch that I don't get a chance to use often ;^)

Sorry I don't have any stories myself - I have only been out one afternoon this season! Next year will be different for sure!

Edited by tuber

Ya Tuber Dave's shorts still have the stains to prove it. :devil:

I know a couple of spots that we may not???? need the winch.

My job this weekend is tying up Grayling Flies size 2 4xlong white bunnies. Come on Grayling, Little Smoky here I come. 12 more sleeps. :clap:

Neil keep up the posting We have a bunch of shy guy on this web page. We just need to find a way to get them envolved more. :thumbup:

See guys using smaller words so I get the spelling right.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis:

Did you mean to say we need a way to have our members "evolved" more?

I know we have a few knuckle draggers around who have trouble with his newfangled electronic stuff.

If you meant "more involved", then maybe we need more women to make "involvement" more pleasant.

However from what Iv'e heard from some women, us guys will have to "evolve" more for that to happen.

And Tuber, if you really want to go fishin', you might want to send a couple of likley fishin' buddies a pm

outlining when you might be able to escape domestic entrapment.

Edited by dave robinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...