Alberta Ff@ Conclave On The Blackstone River

Jim Fox

Just a reminder of our July 14-18 trip. We're staying at the campground near the FTR. Directions for getting to the campground: take the Forestry Trunk road 12.5 km north from Highway 11. Turn left at the Chungo Road, also signed as Blackstone Recreation Area. Drive 11.7 km to the Blackstone River. Watch out for 3-5 inch sharp rocks on the side of the road. They eat tires. We have a few people coming from out of town so I'll put up an appropriate sign or two. I will be there from about mid-day on the 14th. My site will have a sign and my dark blue 4runner has a FF@ decal in back.

A pre-conclave visit (by Mike Dell) last weekend showed the river a bit high and muddy but it should clear up soon. I am really looking forward to my first trip to the Blackstone.

We will have a pot luck on Saturday evening - bring your best conclave dish and gather round the fire for some really good stories. Also bring your fly-tying equipment - no doubt others will have theirs.

I hope to see many of you come out. Drop me a line at jim_and_dorothy@hotmail.com if you are thinking about coming.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

The weather forecast for Nordegg is calling for 30-40 mm of rain today (Tuesday July 13), a little rain tomorrow, and then sunny Thursday and Friday. This much rain today could blow out the Blackstone, but there are other places to go. I will be going out Wednesday and setting up camp in the official campground.

OK JIMMY SPILL THE BEANS AND SHOW ME THE PICTURES!!!!!

No beans but I have a bit of time to report that a fantastic time was had on the Blackstone River this past week, despite the fact that nobody got to fish the Blackstone River. Michael Dell, Wally & Joy Lutz, Dell Coppock, Tyson Reisler, Tony Blake, Al Grombacher, Scott Rowan and Kat Cruikshank all showed up to enjoy a great time in central Alberta. The weather before and during the clave was typical Alberta - we got everything. The main rivers were too high and dirty to fish, due to recent and continuing rain. However, clean water was found and fish were caught. Just as important, beverages were sampled, great food was shared, and we all left (I think) in a better state than we arrived.

Some highlights:

Best Clave Fly: #14 Usual - well, it was my best

Best Clave Drink: whisky and hail stones - see Kat's picture

Best Clave Quote: "When it comes to testicles, I am strictly catch and release." (I'm not saying who said it)

Best Clave Late-Night Snack: corn fritters (thank you twice Joy!)

Best Clave "Balanced" Breakfast: fruit loops in a pot - "Green, yellow, pink, orange and purple....all the food groups!"

Best Clave Lesson: never camp in Alberta in July without tarps and lots of rope

Thanks everyone for turning out and making this year's event (our 13th I think) a great success. I'm looking forward to doing it all again next year.

I didn't take any pictures at all but others did. Kat Cruikshank, who came out from Vancouver Island with Scott Rowan, took these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratfish/sets/72157624416956327/

Wally took a lot as well - perhaps he'll post some.

What about you Michael?

WOW, I sure am jealous. Wally great pics , the weather didn't look to bad ( i think ) I had a good time at the wedding , BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I MISSED A HELL OF A PARTY. I will try to make the next FF 2011.

Dan

Great pics Kat! Really sorry we missed ALL THE FUN.... Its a great experience in Alberta , u never know what you will catch , weather that is....

Irene and I again , looked over the photos and we both said we have to get together next year, we always have a great time, meet new people. It was really great to see DELL OUT!! Would have been nice to fish with him again.Jim maybe we can hook up this fall down south , keep u in the ty.

Dan

I joined the club last year but haven't made it to many meetings.

I didn't make it to the conclave either obviously but I just wanted to say hi to Kat in case she ever checks in on this forum. About 12 years ago I commissioned her to do this beautiful watercolour painting of three brook trout (called "Taylor's Trio) which is absolutely beautiful and one of my prized possessions. Samples of her artwork can be found on her website.

I can't believe it's mid-July and I still haven't fished the Blackstone yet (my favourite river). I made one trip to the North Ram a couple of weeks ago and did resonably well.

I didn't take a single photo, but I enjoyed the company and the little bit of fishing I was able to do.

One of the highlights was teasing bull trout with woolly buggers. Only a couple landed but I had many follows and strikes.

GOOD ON YOU MIKE, I WAS GUNNA GIVE UP ON THIS SITE.