Borger & Lawson Seminar

vince

Boys & Girls

What a great couple of days. Learned a lot of good stuff, confirmed a bunch of stuff I was doing right and got a bonk over my head over stuff I was doing wrong. We received a lot of informative stuff from two great fly fishing gentlemen.

What a great club we have with a bunch of good guys who are willing to put time and effort in to put on such a great program. My thanks to all who made this happen.

Vince

Rick I might even give it a try. Once I get myself a couple of mallard wings.

Mike made it look easy but not so sure of that. I might have a couple extra fingers that get in the way.

Yes great weekend. It sure was one of the best that for sure.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

I figure if you come away from a seminar with one or two tips that might improve your fishing, then it's a good one.

In this case, I can think of way nore than one or two.

The tips on casting alone were worth the price of admission, particularly the variations of the reach cast. I may no longer look like an idiot when trying to throw a conventional curve cast.

The simple idea about split shot on a nymphing rig helping set the hook explains a whole bunch about how some of my "accidental" hookups happen and how I might be able to make it happen more often and less accidentally.

And instead of fox (faux) fur for Gary's strip leech, I now have another use for polar bear fur that is likely to make for some awesome saltwater and "hybrid" trout flies.

And if the sessions on nymphing prod Vince into trying a nymph or two, then we might conside it a "miracle" seminar.

I think my face is still sore from all the smiling that went on.

I had a great time! Best $50 I've spent in a long while.

Kodos to our two presenters and all the volunteers

Edited by dave robinson

Dave just for refference that wasn't fox it was actually craft fur. Both Don Anderson and myself went up to check it out and sure enough it was craft fur not fox. Not to say fox won't work. I can sure some more uses for LLama in that fly.

I hope to hit WEM fishing hole and find some mallard wings.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Can someone teach me how to tie that (1) no hackle fly and (2) that fox/faux/craft fur fly?

After a decade long absence, its time i got back into fly tying? Aside from Wed. meetings, does anyone give lessons privately or something? I'd like to kick start my way back into the hobby.

Mike Smith

Dennis

The fur that Gary used is not actual fox fur...the brand name of the product he used is called Fox Fur and it is a sort of craft type fur. It is similar to a product used for making fake fur coats etc and the reason they use it is that each section has 3 or 4 different lengths of material.

Vince

I stand to be corrected, but I think the answer to what is "FOX" fur, is simple, but amusing for us Canadians.

My suspicion is that it is really "FAUX" fur.

Being American, with no French language training, Gary pronounced it like the animal name "f-ox"

instead of the correct pronunciation which is "f-oh".

Faux fur simply means false fur, fake fur or craft fur.

My observation is that the specific product he used includes long and short fibers, similar to real fur.

He made use of the different fiber lengths to create a spiky body and even spikier collar.

That's why my mention of the polar bear fur.

It has similar varying lengths plus the added sparkle of that fur.

I think it would make a great wooley bugger alternative

and with some bead chain or dumbell eyes a good alternative to a clouser.

Dave

Mike:

I'd be glad to give you a hand wih the strip leech at any meeting. (except this Wednesday as I won't be there)

In fact, if you want, we could jointly do a short course over a few meetings to get your skills back.

And, we could incorporate some sessions into the tying tables at the Outdoor and Sportmans shows.

If you want a quicker jump start, maybe we could schedule an evening session at either your or my place.

(sample some single malt at the same time??)

Dave

Dave Robinson says, I'd be glad to give you a hand with the strip leech at any meeting. (except this Wednesday as I won't be there)

Sure Dave, skip the meeting so you don't get voted into another position. I think you will be safe since you do a great job with the newsletter! :)

I was talking to Barry White about the "fox fur," and he said it is "faux fur." So as Dave R. suggests, fox is the American pronunciation of faux. Anyway, I dropped into a few Calgary fabric shops on the way home, and struck out. If anyone manages to find some, please post your source. I sure like the look of the flies that Gary tied with that stuff.

I really enjoyed those two days, so thanks again to all the folks that worked so hard on putting it together. Terry

Mike:

I'd be glad to give you a hand wih the strip leech at any meeting. (except this Wednesday as I won't be there)

In fact, if you want, we could jointly do a short course over a few meetings to get your skills back.

And, we could incorporate some sessions into the tying tables at the Outdoor and Sportmans shows.

If you want a quicker jump start, maybe we could schedule an evening session at either your or my place.

(sample some single malt at the same time??)

Dave

Yes! Probably best if you came over; you could look at my materials and see what I can do with what I've got (and if I have any rotting fur).

Single Malt sounds good. Got a preference? Pm me!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Not to take anything away from Mike Lawson, but I really liked Gary Borger. He is quite creatively logical in his approach to fly fishing problems. Lots of people just throw gear (money) at a fly fishing situation in order to solve it - Gary breaks things down into smaller malleable bits that can be applied in different situations. The last time I fished with someone that was creative in the same way was with Barry White on the Bow River.

Kinda feel bad that I could only make one day.

Thanks to everyone for putting on the show.

Cheers,

Tim