Any Edmoton Fly Shops?

tyler

Keith: You should go to Calgary. Spend $80 in gas and don't get your discount. Oh, that's right you aren't a member so you don't get the discount. Every time we don't support our local shops we weaken their position in the market. Plus we should support those that support us.

:fish_jump:

Keith: You should go to Calgary. Spend $80 in gas and don't get your discount. Oh, that's right you aren't a member so you don't get the discount. Every time we don't support our local shops we weaken their position in the market. Plus we should support those that support us.

:fish_jump:

Well said. As a commercial tyer, of course, I would save money by buying wholesale and that option is there for me but I'm not in it for maximum profit, it is after 15 years, a labour of love and every fly tying material I buy, with the exception of hooks, comes from the shops that I sell to. Besides those shops knows the materials they send me are coming back to them so it is in their best interest to sell me the best quality they can find.

With the insurgence of online shopping/stores our local fly shops, dealing with much more overhead, have a genuine tough time competing and they need our support now more than ever.

I'm going to enter this on the a 50/50 bases I understand about suporting the local stores and I do, but at the same time I've also dealt with Calgary stores and their pricing on things tend to be cheaper then our discounts we get. They will also send to you shipping free. So whose right or wrong. I think its each to his own be he a club member or not.

my opinion only

Dennis Southwick

Tight Lines Always

The thing we have to remember is that we fly tyers and fly fishermen are in a symbiotic relationship with the fly shops. We need each other.

While we can buy stuff from masshops and boxmarts, what we get there tends not to be the specialty items we like and lacks the service we get from the small local retailer.

Furthermore, buying from the local fly shop is about supporting your neighbours. If you take your money to the large corporate entity, on-line store or small store in another city, you are sending any related profit somehwere out of your community. That takes money out of your city, out of the hands of your neighbours and puts their business and their employees' jobs at risk.

If you don't support your local small business, pretty soon it goes away. Then you will find you can't get that special something, or your choice of alternative products is reduced to what the corporate buyer wants to carry, or service always requires dealing with a faceless factory guy at distance or local knowledge of where, what and when to fish dries up. And you wind up losing fishing friends.

If the local fly shop dies, you also lose a partner in the fight for fishery improvement and conservation. Our local corporate sponsors help us greatly in the battle with industrial and other interests who don't care a whit about fish. For the fly shop, its part of protecting their livelihood so they chip into the fight.

So the next time you are in the market for a fly fishing related item, consider your local shops first, particularly those who support our Club with discounts, donations and knowledge. If you don't, it's not just unneighbourly, they might not be there the next time you need them.

Edited by dave robinson

Do you really think it is cheaper in Calgary?

My suggestion would be that if there is a difference, and I doubt that, Calgary would be more expensive.

Now if you suggested that there may be a larger assortment, or a different manufacturer that may not be available here then I would agree. Given the number of shops there and not always wanting to carry the same SKU's as a competitor there may be more manufacturers products available. However if you want Marabou Olive as an example. Your choice in Edmonton may be only Superfly and in Calgary you may find Hook & Hackle or Wapsi etc. as well. Bottom line is, does it really matter. I think it does because Superfly is also an Edmonton based company that also supports us. I don't think the marabou is going to be any different and I don't think it will be any cheaper in Calgary. You may find clearances, ie: Russel closing or shops discontinuing products but that is selective on only a specific quantity and not on a regular basis.

Every time that we purchase items out of town or on the internet etc. we further weaken our local shops. Then sooner or later they will notice a reduction in sales or turnover and start to reduce assortments, that will in fact start a very negative trend that will only get worse. Then if fly tying drops, then soon fly fishing gear will drop then that cycle will continue to a point where all of it may be gone.

So that when you need some tippet or leaders to go fishing tomorrow and they don't carry them any more (Let alone your preferred brand). Remember you can either order on the Internet or drive to Calgary and have it shipped Overnight Air so that you will be ready to go fishing tomorrow.

Besides who doesn't want an excuse to further talk about fly tying or fishing. Just another reason to shop locally.

Well Brian I do agree with you, I support shops that support me and give me good service and advise, that is why I shop in Calgary, now I will try the new Edmonton shop, but if I get the same kind of crap I get from the other Edmonton store, I will go else were.

Brian I did not know you worked for the Edmonton Stores?

Mind you, this is a free world, and each to his or her own opinion is allowed and we should respect that. One should be allowed to shop were one feels they are getting their best value for their money.

Keith:

Check your facts before you cast aspersions.

To suggest that Brian's comments are motivated by a commercial relationship with a store is wrong and unacceptable.

The only persons I know who regularly attend meetings and post here who work for any of the Edmonton stores are Rick and Vince and they are quite clear on that relatiosnship.

Brian, me and all of the club executive do volunteeer work on behalf of the Club and not for any particular retailer.

But then, since you're neither a club member or volunteer, I don't suppose you recognize the value of the club's relationship with those retailers. I can see your on-line ID is indicative of your position and possibly attitude.

You are perfectly right in that you are free to spend you money wherever you want. I don't suppose the amount of money you spend will make a hill of beans one way or the other. My concern is with the broader fly fishing (and business) community. The local stores and the club need each other's support to continue to exist.

There are countless examples of the big box stores coming along and undercutting local retailers. Ther result is the death of community based business, the loss of not only alternatives, but real jobs and often the slow death of the community itself. How many small towns across Canada and the US have seen their business center die when the big boys come to town? From time to time we all need a reminder of that since, in the pursuit of a bargain, its easy to forget the importance of supporting friends and neighbours.

Personally, I support local small business wherever and whenever I can, even if it costs me a few pennies more. I avoid the mass stores like the plague they are. By doing so , I've manged to develop personal relationships with the local business owners I regularly deal with. The result is better service by far than I get at the whomarts and a wider circle of friends.

So go ahead and shop elsewhere if that turns your crank. Just don't complain when all you have left to shop at is the big Calgary barn.

Edited by dave robinson

okay guys I think this getting a little off line here, the original question was was there any other fly fishing stores in Edm. or should he go to Calgary

It was then posted, I'd go to Calgary. First off anyone on the site has a right to there opinion. What I have a problem with here is this site is open to both members and non members. The Person posting(be it anomenious or not) his comments does not deserve to be cut down or hurassed because he or she is a member of the club or not. That is totally a non issue or the purpose of the web site has been lost. Northing wrong with the topic and your opinions as along as it stays on a civil bases. Its kind if nice to actualy have a heated discuss for a change. The old web page has been real quiet of late. There has been many good comments on both sides of the coin.

Both Brian & I got together last night and had a bit of a discussion on the days topic (heated) at Back Home Fish & Chips :cheers: and we both have the right to be wrong but I think I'm right :laugh: .

Tight Lines Always

Dennis Southwick :fishing::fish_jump:

Hey Grumpy, you write of the new Edmonton store, and the other Edmonton store. I assume you're referring to Wholesale Sports. Have you ever been in to the WEM Fishin' Hole? I'm sure we could offer you...

...what's that Vince?...

...oh, I'm just inviting...

...no, Vince, we have to offer the best...

...Vince put down the fish bat!!...

:vikinjg::

...no, please, I'm still young!!...

:beating:

Rick

Dennis:

I was not the one who implied with an inappropriate question that Brian (and by inference others in NLFTTUC ) have a bias on this issue due to a employment relationship with a retailer. That comment was uncalled for and deserved a stern rebuttal.

If you read my post carefully you will see that my argument refers to all purchases that could be made at local retailers, not just fishing stuff, and not just by Club members, discount or no. Although here it is likely to be taken in a fishing supplies context, the basic principle of supporting your local small retailer and neighbour first, should apply to all purchases.

I'm not against price competition or the ability to select different brands from different retailers. I just believe that when making purchases, we should seriously consider the effect it has on local businesses.

For that reason when I eat out I usually patronize family owned restaurants rather than the big chains. When I buy work or dress clothing I go to a small clothing store rather than the "more suits" of the world. My wine (and single malt) comes from the small speciality store, not the big box spin off. Even if doing so costs me a bit more. Why? Because it supports my neighbours, helps keep choice alive and supports those who support me.

Edited by dave robinson

"To suggest that Brian's comments are motivated by a commercial relationship with a store is wrong and unacceptable"

Is not wrong or unacceptable,

It was a question,

If you cannot accept some one else’s opinion on someyhing, I feel sorry for you.

If you are happy with the service you receive from the local shops, then that is good, I am not and as such wish to take my business else’s were. And I have a right to let others know that I am not happy.

I miss Denny's, especially Mr. and Mrs. Denny. Their prices were higher, but the knowledge I gleaned from that shop is irreplacable.

You guys call me a Bare Hook and Maggot. I am currently tying Polish Condom flies, and by golly some of them do look like maggots wrapped around a hook.

Russel I've heard those condom polish nymphs work really good. Also I've heard in Cal you can not find a Pink condom anywhere just for that reason.

post one and tying instructions on, what are you tying today thread.

Russel thats part of the trouble here in edmonton we don't have a pure fly shop. In a lot of ways you can not blame the stores around here as they stock mostly what will sell and don't get into some of the new an crazy mateials coming out. If fly fishing is 10% of their gross I would be surprised. We have to be thankfull for what they do stock.

Lets see that condom fly

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

In my opinion you should support the local shops, otherwise they disappear. That being said if they don't have what you need and won't or can't get it for you, then it is your right to look elsewhere. To drive to Calgary to save money is a bit odd for sure, to go there for selection well maybe. I would think the Internet may be a better source for deals vs. a drive to Calgary.

I for one have always had good service from the local stores, dispite being used to getting anything I needed when I needed it before Denny's closed, True I cannot do that now but the folks at the local stores have always been good to me and they do what they can.

Its too bad we don't have a specialty shop anymore, Its a hard niche for a big box or large chain store to fill.

Keith:

Putting a question mark after a statement doesn't make it a question.

The wording of the statement made the implication quite clear, despite the punctuation.

And I do believe you are fully entitled to your opinion.

But I'm fully entitled to disagree with it.

This thread reminds me of a Monty Python skit...er, No it doesn't

What was LeRoy's saying about opinions?

Advice and opinions are like butts. Some stink, some don't, but everyones got one...

:P

My process is simple.

I enter the store closest to me for what I want. If they don't have it, or are not willing to sell it - then I move to the next closest. After my 3rd attempt, I'll buy out of town.

The Fishin Hole, Fishing Centre, and Wholesale Sports have (in my humble opinion and if you don't like it - please shove off...) done an admirable job of supporting fly-fishing in this city. When your population base doesn't have a Bow River running through town, and is by and large a hard gear populace, stocking much of ANY fly gear is a challenge. I patronize every one of those shops - every chance I get.

Do I get better service in some versus others? Yes.

Do I get better deals at some versus others? Yes.

Is that costing me a fortune? No.

$1.50 vs $1.75? Come on.

$100 vs 109? Not likely to change my mind.

Do I run to Calgary for dubbing? Not effing likely.

Do I patronize the shops in Calgary? EVERY TIME I'M IN COWTOWN!

It's not about giving your business to "them" - it's about supporting the economy in the places you spend time. If I'm fishing the bow, Fish Tales is my first stop.

To answer the OP -

In Edmonton, any of the fishin' hole locations, the Fishing Centre, or Wholesale Sports carry product - some more - some less. Try them out and give the business to the ones you think earn it. :)

Sparky, CanadaGrey, Grumpy..... play nice or I'm gonna ground you.

Thanks Scratch.

I appreciate that you put into simple form what I pretty much do as regards fly fishing stuff.

I've said my piece about supporting local business.

I consider the subject closed.

Scratch great to have you on again. Long time know hear from you. Hope we will see you out some time soon.

Great comments.

I can wiggle on the hook a bit on this one.

I can understand supporting local economy and the majority of the time I do. I think because we don't have a ture fly shop we get fustrated when we cann't find what we want and start looking elsewhere. Again its not the shops here in Edm fault as flyfishing is only a very small part of their revenue.

If it sound like I'm back peddling I am a bit . I may have been a little rash in some of my comments. What problem I really had has been discuss at the source as mention at dinner with Brian B. last Wed night. I even bought.

I think this was a great thread and has kept the web page interestings for a couple of days. every one has a right to be right or wrong and at times even back peddle.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

I have a small problem with some of the comments I've read here. The fact is, I hardly ever see anyone from the club shopping at my store. I've mentioned this before, to which the response is always, "Oh, I shop at the other stores all the time." Well that's fine, just don't turn around and say that you can't find what you want. I can't speak for everyone else, but anyone who's ever done business with me knows that I'm pretty accomodating when it comes to special orders.

(Shameless plug);)

Rick

I follow Scratch's shopping approach - and as result, haven't had to venture far from home at all to get what I need/want. The SS Fishing Hole has been more than accommodating with regards to special orders (they brought in a magnifying lens for my vise/vice?). I'm not really big into shopping - I will research first on the net to get an idea of the price of something, but after that, once I get into a shop and find what I'm after, I buy it - provided its not ridiculously overpriced based on my net research. If I can't find what I'm after in town, I go online. Never been in, or bought from a Calgary shop - but I'm still a newb ;^)

I never go to WEM, but I do occasionally make it into the north side FH - not often, perhaps once or twice in a year. May not have always found what I wanted, but service has always been good.

The guys at the Fishing Centre were totally helpful when I made my big step into fly-fishing after that weekend a few years back at Swan fishing with Shan (and a pile of borrowed equipment from Ian). I don't make it in there very often anymore though - probably more due to its location than anything else.

I do look forward to checking out the new Wholesale Sports on the south side...where abouts exactly is it?