Rod Choice

SnoWolf

Hey

I will be fishing Campbell river soon for salmon and am looking at purchasing a new rod. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices and am looking for any opinions that you may have on either.

First is the Sage launch 8 wt 4 pce. This is a very nice rod. They say on there web site that it has high strength to wieght. It is indeed very light, to the point you would question the strength.

Next is the TFO TiCr X 8 wt 4 pce(with fighting but). This is also a very nice rod. A little heavier than the sage but not by much.

There is also a TiCr X 9wt 4 pce that I developed a liking for as well but wonder if it is not over kill.

I have only been able to find a 2 pce 9 wt launch so far and did not like the feel as much and would be a little harder to fit in my siutcase.

Thx Sno

By Salmon, I'm presuming it's coho, but in the Campbell river maybe chinook.

For anything over about 8 pounds, an 8 weight is dicey unless it has lots of backbone.

I have a 9 wt Sage RPLXI and a 7 wt XI2. Both can handle large fish becasue they are vrey solid in the butt. The Launch may be a touch light in 8 weight for larger fish. ASage FLI would probably be OK at an 8. I have no idea how the TFO's would perform.

...............A Sage FLI would probably be OK at an 8................

I heard a rumour from a reliable source, that the Fli is being discontinued. If you are thinking of getting one, it might be worth waiting until the dealers start clearing them out. Terry

GO SAGE OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!

Thx for the imput guys.

I emailed sage as well and they are of the opinion that a 9 wt might be a better choice as well. I have not bien able to find a 4 pce 9 wt launch in the city so far.

I will check to see if there are any FLI 9 wt's around and compare it to the TFO I have my eye on.

I believe Dave that you are correct it is coho runnin the river this time of year. Also chum should be comming in as well, with as you mentioned the odd chinook still hanging around.

GO SAGE OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!

I dunno, I own two TFO's myself (2 WT and 6 WT).. no SAGE yet, and am purty durn happy with.

As for Salmon.. a "Cajun" (Canadian Tire 8 Wt Fiberglass 2 piece -- $49.95 kit) will get the job done... standard Piking Rod.

Posted Image

I believe Dave that you are correct it is coho runnin the river this time of year. Also chum should be comming in as well, with as you mentioned the odd chinook still hanging around.

Don't believe anything Dave tells you... EVER. Especially if it's p00blished in the newsletter. :)

After plenty of opinions and a whole lot of playin with different rods I have finally made my choice.

The winner is------TFO TiCr X 4 pce 9 wt. Its has fast action and should be more than a match for the big flies I'm gona toss around with it.

Along with whipping a bunch of rods around I also fondled more reels than I could possibly remember. However I have come to the conclusion that the Okuma Hellios fits the bill. The drag is incredibly smooth.

For the sheer versatility of it I went with the RIO Versi-tip. I think this is a better way to go than carryin 3 spools with you and fighting to change rigging with the changing conditions.

Here's to hoping the decisions where sound ones.