Project Healing Waters Canada

Inconnu

First let me say thanks one more time to the members that attended my awkward presentation. There is so much to do and so much already done that sometimes it is difficult to put it in any kind of order.

I have been asked a number of times why I do not just start something like this locally and create my own entity.

I have a vision of where this thing will go and PHW has a great infrastructure that I wish to emulate as we expand. There are other reasons as well, but the dream of where it will go is what keeps me moving forward.

That being said, I cannot do this alone as the brochure I handed out so aptly states. I will need help. I am going to need a Board of directors, volunteers for the events from start to finish and people who will step in and help provide direction. Ultimately I want this to be something that will live and operate without any one person.

As I gain more knowledge and move forward with the initial tasks such as establishing this as a Charitable Organization etc. I will add particulars to what I need as far as involvement goes and for future events.

Feel free to ask questions here or PM me I can provide contact information if you need it.

As I mentioned I have a list of questions I am sending to Ed Nichlson and I will update this post with the information the answers will provide me with.

Thanks again to all of you, I look forward to working with you on this and other projects through the Club.......Kerry

• 1 month later...

A quick update.

I received a call from PHW yesterday regarding a letter I wrote to them with questions I needed answers for before I could continue on with the list of "must do's."

Sandy at PHW told me they are having a board of directors meeting on Dec.05 and will address the question of creating a board of directors in Canada to let us be a chritable organization etc.

If they go for it then I will continue on as PHW Canada, if they do not and I understand if they are hesitant, I will continue on as a new and seperate entity.

Ray and I will keep you up to speed on what happens after the meeting in December.....Kerry

A quick update.

I received a call from PHW yesterday regarding a letter I wrote to them with questions I needed answers for before I could continue on with the list of "must do's."

Sandy at PHW told me they are having a board of directors meeting on Dec.05 and will address the question of creating a board of directors in Canada to let us be a chritable organization etc.

If they go for it then I will continue on as PHW Canada, if they do not and I understand if they are hesitant, I will continue on as a new and seperate entity.

Ray and I will keep you up to speed on what happens after the meeting in December.....Kerry

Good to hear. We should touch bases soon so that I can connect you with the folks at Land forces western command in Peer support.

Thanks Scratch, I actually ended up chatting with Greg Prodaniuk who is involved with peer support here. he has offered to help when we are ready to launch. I also talked with a Sgt. McLean who heads "Soldier On" in Ottawa.

That being said I know we need people to liase with both groups, we should talk about this soon......Kerry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The day before Christmas I received an e-mail from Ed Nicholson. The Board has given the go ahead for a Canadian division od Project Healing Waters. I will be talking to Ed right after New Years to work out the details. One of the details is web space, I am looking for a Canadian contact information spot on their site and I imagine that will happen. Once that is done I will be able to put the information out through Peer Support and through Soldier On.

I have also enlisted the help of Capt. Rick Biolo here in Beaumont, to promote the effort and to help me locate some contacts I have been looking for on CFB Edmonton.

Once I have had a talk with Ed I will be moving forward on the other issues I need to get done in order to hold a Spring event.

Location suggestions for the event will be welcome, I was thinking about the Beaumont Pond, simply for convenience but I am open to other ideas so please feel free to offer ideas. I am hoping to find six veterans who are interested in the program, there may also be family as well if they come through Peer Support.

I will have more to report soon......Kerry

Thanks Dave. Some of the issue may be where the Veterans are as far as residence goes as well, since most may not be on active duty. I think having a couple of locations in mind would be a good plan and I will definitely keep Cardiff on the list. Thanks for the suggestion.....Kerry

Thanks Woolly, no worries, ever since I was able to make a presentation at one of the meetings I have had alot of support offered by Club members. I will make it to more meetings after New Years and can hopefully answer more questions.....Kerry

• 1 month later...

A brief update and some clarifications that need to be made.

PHW Canada is in the process of applying for Charitable organization status, which is going to tak a bit of time to accomplish. In the meantime we have brought on board a corporate fund raiser and Director in Calgary. This is a bit earlier than we anticipated but it does fit into the scheme of things. PHW Canada will be working to be in a position to offer start-up funds to any club that wishes to operate a program under our guidelines and our mandate which will be made clear in the near future.

If there is a need for a program and no club that is either available or able to take the project on, the program will be operated by PHW Canada members themselves. The members will be comprised of volunteers who have offered their time for the cause directly through PHW Canada.

I thought that this needed to be clarified as I am becoming more aware of what our position in the grand scheme of things will be.

More on this subject may be found on www.flyangler.ca as I update the PHW Canada topic there.

Thanks folks, I would like to ask anyone who has a desire to work with our troops in a flyfishing mentor capacity please e-mail me at pittfam@telus.net. or speak to me in person at the next meeting. There is already interest from veterans , being expressed to Soldier On in Ottawa so I am redoubling my efforts to get things happening so we can do a Spring event as planned.

• 1 month later...

Kerry:

I see that DND is establishing a eight support centers across Canada

to care for injured and ill personel, families and former members:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090302/...ry_care_network

I wonder if you will be able to provide these centers with information on Healing Waters

so that those service personel who are interested can contact you.

Thanks Dave. Sgt Andrew MacClean is taking it to the front person tomorrow. This might be a really good thing for us, but more on that later I don't want to jinx what is happening at the moment.

Suffice it to say that we are very close to getting up and running. My job list is rather small and most of it is a waiting game but all is looking good. Our Domain names have been registered and an MOA with PHW U.S. has been signed. Mission statement is done and I need to do a few more things to finish up. We have a legal help with our federal application to become a Revenue Canada recognized chrity and I have the info I need on liability insurance so now we are getting down to the final moments before we start looking for clients......apparently some are looking for us right now.....Kerry