Ff@/canff@/nlft&f Alberta Conclave 2008

RangerBob

Hi all. Do you have to be a club member to attend this conclave event? The reason I am not a member is that I work most evenings and can not attend meetings. I have been fly fishing for 5 years now and have never fished with anyone else in other words always alone. I don't even know if I am doing it the wright way. I have the clave weekend off and thought it might be a good chance to meet some other fishy folks. I enjoy this site and I am always looking for hints on what to use and where. thanks Neil Compton Edmonton

We let all the Riff Raff in. :) Neil... All R Welcome.. Go To The Light! :)

Posted Image

Jim is making a special run into Spokane, Washington as well.

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/

PS - Apparently, my Webserver is toast right now, so the Klave Page will be back up just as soon as I replace a power supply. Perhaps when I am done my morning "go juice". ::coffee:::coffeetime:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yah, for the GPS enabled.. I plucked the Waypoint I took from my trip down the Trunk Road.

Set your heading for:

N49.90289 W114.39163

And, the Google Map Directions to the Place from Calgary. Of course, you can tweak in your starting point and compute as well.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&hl=en&a...amp;t=h&z=8

Lance as of now its a (98.5%) chance I will be there with my wife. That works right into my Holidays

Will do 1 week in the Castle River area then come up to Dutch for the next week. Loved it there last yr. Centrally locatated to many great fishing spots. Going to need to tie up some Bunnies white or Pink (here Bully, Bully)

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Lance as of now its a (98.5%) chance I will be there with my wife. That works right into my Holidays

Will do 1 week in the Castle River area then come up to Dutch for the next week. Loved it there last yr. Centrally locatated to many great fishing spots. Going to need to tie up some Bunnies white or Pink (here Bully, Bully)

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

Be sure to tye up at least two dozen to bring along for the mandatory fly swap. I too am doing a Bull Trout pattern. =)

Just finished tying up nine swap flies... to be exchanged on Saturday night after the Pot Luck dinner. A reminder about that to folks new to the Klave.. bring along a dish for the smallish campfire to be enjoyed by all. Those that have been before.. know what it's all about. Good times. =)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lance,

My wife( Ellen) & I will be able to join the klave at Dutch Creek from Aug. 15 - 17/08. We are checking out from Kananaskis on Friday morning. Do I need to inform Jim and is it too late to join now ?. How are the roads from Kananaskis to Dutch Creek campground? This will be my first time to join the Klave and my first day out fishing for the year. Has been too busy lately. I am looking forward to this one because I missed the one last year.. Can anyone tell me the better route from Kananaskis If I take HWY 40> 940 > range 34A or HWY 40 >HWY 541 >HWY 22 >HWY 517 > 34A. Is 940 all gravel to

34 A? Need your input please. Thanks.

Joe L.

Joe, Hwy 940 (the Forestry Truck Road, also marked as various range roads on Google Maps) south of hwy 40 is a good gravel highway. It's dusty but suitable for any type of vehicle. The southern connectors are pretty much gravel too (517 and 532) but 541 west of longview is paved. All are easy drives, though 532 goes up a fairly steep pass. Look out for the herd of mountain sheep that seem to live on the road. If you are pulling a RV, the easiest way is to go south to 517 and then turn north on the FTR - I am pretty sure it is the least amount of gravel. If you are coming down from Hwy 40, the shortest route is to take 940 south from the Highwood Junction all the way (likely the dustiest route too). If you are fishing your way down, you can stop at any water you cross or see from 940 and have a memorable time.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Jim

Lance,

My wife( Ellen) & I will be able to join the klave at Dutch Creek from July 15 - 17/08. We are checking out from Kananaskis on Friday morning. Do I need to inform Jim and is it too late to join now ?. How are the roads from Kananaskis to Dutch Creek campground? This will be my first time to join the Klave and my first day out fishing for the year. Has been too busy lately. I am looking forward to this one because I missed the one last year.. Can anyone tell me the better route from Kananaskis If I take HWY 40> 940 > range 34A or HWY 40 >HWY 541 >HWY 22 >HWY 517 > 34A. Is 940 all gravel to

Joe L.

Joe, Hwy 940 (the Forestry Truck Road, also marked as various range roads on Google Maps) south of hwy 40 is a good gravel highway. It's dusty but suitable for any type of vehicle. The southern connectors are pretty much gravel too (517 and 532) but 541 west of longview is paved. All are easy drives, though 532 goes up a fairly steep pass. Look out for the herd of mountain sheep that seem to live on the road. If you are pulling a RV, the easiest way is to go south to 517 and then turn north on the FTR - I am pretty sure it is the least amount of gravel. If you are coming down from Hwy 40, the shortest route is to take 940 south from the Highwood Junction all the way (likely the dustiest route too). If you are fishing your way down, you can stop at any water you cross or see from 940 and have a memorable time.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Jim

Lance,

My wife( Ellen) & I will be able to join the klave at Dutch Creek from July 15 - 17/08. We are checking out from Kananaskis on Friday morning. Do I need to inform Jim and is it too late to join now ?. How are the roads from Kananaskis to Dutch Creek campground? This will be my first time to join the Klave and my first day out fishing for the year. Has been too busy lately. I am looking forward to this one because I missed the one last year.. Can anyone tell me the better route from Kananaskis If I take HWY 40> 940 > range 34A or HWY 40 >HWY 541 >HWY 22 >HWY 517 > 34A. Is 940 all gravel to

Joe L.

Jim,thanks for the input. I will probably take HWY 40 via 541 to 22 > 517 which is the least gravel as you mentioned.

joe

..............Pisco is choice of drink in them woods, right Terry! .......................

That's right -- Pisco sours rule. Hey Dipperdan, are you bringing me another bottle of Pisco (I like the Peruvian stuff best)? :lol: :lol: Terry

I thought Picasso drank Wormwood?

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?o...&Itemid=184

No... we have not been brave enough to bring this stuff to a Klave yet... but it has been threatened for worst booze prize ever. The prizeholder is still Alberta (now Saskatoon) Alan with his French Maid Homebrew Swill. Dan's Pisco comes close.. but Dennis's "Scotch & Five Alive"... even closer (this will get you punted from ANY Klave). Don't even get us started on Lagavulin there DELL... at least Mikey likes it. :)

Axes.. and ears.. they don't mix. Just ask Barbie. Rumour has it.. Jim is on his way to (Spokane) Washington to pick her up for the Klave. Perhaps Klem Klave bear will make it to?

Posted Image

We "love" you Barbie!

Posted Image

PS - If none of the above makes sense to you.. well.. guess you gotta be part of the company.. or.. stay part of the.. missed... conversation. Or drink more and join in on the Squaddy Songs.

Posted Image

RB:

Unfortunately my schedule is out of sync with the Klave.

I'm going to be down there from the 6th to the 11th or 13th latest, so will miss the "fun".

And don't go dissing Lagavulin. While, unlike Mikey, I don't exactly like it, I can drink it without crying (unlike certain wusses I know). Heck, I even own a bottle of Ardbeg, which can even make a grown Scot cry. Maybe we shoud try the innoculation process. Feed a wuss or two a couple of drams of Ardbeg, and they'll think Lagavulin is only slightly stronger than Pepsi. As for 5 alive and single malt, I've heard that even the sight of a Kilt scares the heck out of Dennis, so that might explain that peculiarity.

RangerBob

Sorry boys but once again my best laid plans have fallen apart. I'll be in Vancouver visiting my Mom from the 14 to the 17th so I'll take this opportunity to wish all who attend a great time...and DipperDan....don't forget the Pisco for Terry.

Vince

And don't go dissing Lagavulin.

Till the day I die... or until the next glass.. which surely would do me in. Indeed I will take a pass.

Now.. the micro-brewery across the street in Sasktatoon from "SaskAl"... sounds fine indeed.

Padockwood... should be 'Padlockwood'... too funny. Indeed, be sure to lock it up if 'Yogi' shows up. :)

"However, there are quality brew pubs and a few microbrewers (like Saskatoon's Padockwood, who produce risky, high gravity IPAs and ales) to be found."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_beer

Mmmm... IPA. The only known anti-dote for Lavagut.

Since I can't go to the Klave, I did a preemptive strike, and spent all this week at Racehorse Creek campground. I fished Racehorse Creek one day and the Livingstone three days. In short, all you Klavers are going to have a blast. The water levels are great, the bugs are hatching, and best of all, the fishies are more than willing to come out and play with your dry flies. You will have a great time I'm sure. There's so much good water in that area. Just to get everyone in the mood, here's some pictures of fishy water, and the guys who live in it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I WONT BE ABLE TO JOIN THIS ONE EITHER THIS YEAR WHICH IS REALLY TO BAD CAUSE LAST YEARS WAS A LIFE TIME OF MEMORIES FOR ME AND MY KIDS. My 10 an 13 year old kids caught fishies and still talk about that trip.

Enjoy all(I know you will)

Sno

Would post cpl picks but a year later an it still says "Attachment space used 75.54k of 100k" an cant seem to reset it.

Just like @ Kamloops Klave '97... I guess I am back in the t-shirt business. Unable to get a guarantee from a few suppliers that they could get them delivered in time for the Klave, so I went out and bought the supplies to DIY. I could not source the tee's with the black neckline and arms that I felt was most appropriate for the design, but it is what it is. So, solid white tees with a nice colorful decal on the front.

Of course, the 'iRemember' box is really intended for Tom Fry... but if you 'iDrank' too much at past Klaves.. then.. well.. 'youRemember' not anything.. but tust me, others do. Really, a shirt to celebrate all the good things we do indeed remember at our Klaves.

Here is the first XL shirt off the assembly line which I will put up for the raffle on Saturday night.

post-65-1217892859_thumb.jpg

I will have available for sale at the Klave the following (inventoried), send me a note to secure one, and if you need another size printed, let me know before this Thursday when I close up my sweat shop.

2 - XXL

4 - XL

Cost is $13.00 if you want one of these desirable hand crafted items which is even "Taylor" made too. Much cheaper then the $33.00 on-line. ;)

----- Original Message -----

To: Al Grombacher

Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 3:24 PM

Subject: Re: what's up?

I have you down for 2 XL. 4 - XL's thus Remain to be claimed. No time to get ready for mugs.. perhaps later... beer cozies even.

----- Original Message -----

To: lance-taylor

Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:16 PM

Subject: Re: what's up?

T-shirt making eh!

Gotta put me down for 2 in xl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about coffee mugs like a time or two ago?

Alan in Saskatoon

Would post cpl picks but a year later an it still says "Attachment space used 75.54k of 100k" an cant seem to reset it.

I wish we could fix that Sno... Pacres and I are still stumped... Next stop - paying the board manufacturer for support.. :(

In the meantime, you can use Flickr.com or Photobucket to host your images, and then just link to them from here.... Might at least help you share the pics...

/g

Hey, look who is coming out of the woodwork. Just like Joe I haven't wet a line this year yet. Have just found out that I can arrange a few days this week. So, if possible I would like to join the klave. Not sure if I will be able to join the swap with the time remaining but I'll see what I can do. The days I can come are Thurs- Sat. Let me know if this is ok and if there is anything else I can do. Thanks

Hank

Oh yeah, this will be my first time in the area, having never fished for cutthroat or bulls. Any tips on fly selection would be helpful.

Hank

Mike Taddeo also called me from Calgary to ask the same. Uhm, these are Cutties.. and Western Trout Streams. So, yer standard fare of Dry Flies and Nymhs will work. If you are going after Bullies, then bring the big stuff. Kiwi Muddlers, big streamers, and Wooly Buggers.

I was catching mainly Cutts on EHC, Stimulators, Parachute Adams, The Usual, alll up top last time. Not much need to go underneath, although Jim and I did try chucking everything at a pool last time with no effect for a pool stacked with cutts. The final answer was a black foam beetle. Stoneflies are also nice to have along as well.

Anyways, Ice Man looking forward to having you join us down at the Klave. If you get yer two dozen flies tied up you can take part in the swap. Also, be sure to bring something for the Pot Luck dinner on Saturday Night. You know where the webapge is. =)

:: http://ranger-bob.net/abk2008/

And look.. the t-shirts are FINALLY done! Hooray, now I can pack.

Posted Image

:: http://lance-taylor.net/fiftynorth.ca/?p=54

PMS - I just got back from Calgary and Banff last weekend on family vacation. Which usually means sans flyrod, and dang were the waters gorgeous. Anyways, had a good time.

:: http://ranger-bob.net/?p=971 (Vacation Video)

Oh yeah, this will be my first time in the area, having never fished for cutthroat or bulls. Any tips on fly selection would be helpful.

Hank

Rangerbob's suggestions are good. Cutties, like most fish, have mood swings. Therefore, you won't catch the bigger guys on the same stuff every day. A hopper dropper system is a good way to start the day -- a big stimmie or some other buoyant dry fly on top (they like rubber legs too) and a bead head nymph 12" to 18" below (prince, pheasant tail, evil weevil, etc.). Early in the day, you'll probably get most hits on the dropper. As things warm up, you'll probably see more fish looking at the top fly. However, you may find some days that you'll get refusals on the big stuff, in which case, you'll want some smaller dries -- green drakes, pmd's, humpies, parachute adams etc. Cutties are generally willing fish -- more so than rainbows, but they're not stupid. Some days you do have to work to get the big boys. They're beautiful fish, and you'll have fun, I guarantee that.

Terry