Ff@/canff@/nlft&f Alberta Conclave 2008

RangerBob

I am officially announcing that the pre-planning stages are well under way for Alberta Klave 2008, and am extending an invite to our NLFTF family here. Jim Fox and I will be your Klavemeisters for this year.

This is a very special Klave site we plan to re-visit again to honour our fallen friend Tom Fry (whom recently passed - http://ranger-bob.net/?p=873). He was the Klavemeister that year in 2000 when he found this very gorgeous spot for us -- [ http://members.shaw.ca/tfry/carseland.html ] (Visit the archived Klave Page of 2000 - Details will be close to what we propose again.) Indeed, one of our more memorable Klaves in Klaving history indeed -- and we hope to make it more memorable with a Pontoon ride down the Bow from Jensen's to Carsland. A gaudy 'Fly Swap' will of course be mandatory!!

We currently have three dates in mind for booking the campground, and need your feedback. Here is the flow data though, we can use to support / perhaps figure this out more scientifically this time - http://www.thebowriver.com/bow_river_calgary_data.htm

Three Possible Dates Are Up In The Air Right Now. Please let us know by posting your thoughts here (or vote) on what you might be able to commit to. We then need to book by Spring, and more details to follow.

1) June 18 - 22 (Keep in mind Bow is usually in flood stage about now).

2) July 23-27

3) August 13 - 17

For those that have been to our Klaves, you have some idea of the fun we have. This year we also hope to bring back a conservation theme as our friend Tom Fry held at the 2000 event. Camping, fishing, and floating the Bow River folks! It don't get any better then this! Hope you can make it out.

Past Years Here:

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=...l=Alberta+Klave (2006)

http://ranger-bob.net/Embarrass2005.html and back 10 years.

As well check out the photos of the area in my photo trip report here from 2000.

post-65-1200703747_thumb.jpg

(Tom Fry & Jim Fox)

post-65-1200703770_thumb.jpg

(A Classic Tom Fry FF@ Sign)

http://ranger-bob.net/bowklave2000.html

PS - Yes, I caught Brown Trout right at the banks where we camped. Michael Dell even netted it for me. =)

post-65-1200704304_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

2008 Alberta Conclave – the Tom Fry Memorial Edition

After a lot of back and forth, we’ve finally settled on August 13-17 as the date for this year’s Alberta Conclave. It will be held on the Bow River, at the same place as the Alberta Clave that Tom Fry hosted in 2000. We will be booking a group camping area at Wyndham-Carsland Provincial Park:

http://www.wyndhamcarselandpark.com/default.htm

The campground is right on the Bow so expect the fishing to focus on that river. The Bow is perfect for a float in a pontoon boat, canoe, or drift boat and there is a lot of water that can be fished on foot. If smaller less crowded waters tempt you, the Crowsnest & Oldman drainages are day-trip accessible. If you can be dragged away from the campfire, the evening caddis hatch brings the biggest of the Bow’s browns and rainbows to the surface to be caught in the dark on dry flies.

More details on the Saturday potluck, Fry-fly themed fly swap and other specific conclave events will be provided in coming months. For all past Alberta Clavers, come join us to celebrate Tom’s contributions to our tradition. For those who haven’t joined us in the past, make this year the one you join us to discover what southern Alberta has to offer the flyfisher. You won’t regret it….

“Ranger Bob” Taylor & Jim Fox

Co-Clavemeisters

If you are down on Good Friday, I may be able to meet up but we're going to BC the next day.

On the Fry Fly Swap, I was wondering if you could photograph your Fry Flies for examples? I have some here but I'm not sure my photos will turn out great. I'm going to be in touch with Rose Fry soon to invite her and ask her to pass on the invitation to their kids/friends/etc. We should give some thought to what kind of memorial thing we'd like to do. I may have some ideas.

Jim

I already know what I am tying for the 'Fry Fly Swap'. I think he'd approve. :)

PS - Also booked the time off, we'll chat moresky soonsky. Like, perhaps on the Bow River Easter Weekend?

If you are down on Good Friday, I may be able to meet up but we're going to BC the next day.

On the Fry Fly Swap, I was wondering if you could photograph your Fry Flies for examples? I have some here but I'm not sure my photos will turn out great. I'm going to be in touch with Rose Fry soon to invite her and ask her to pass on the invitation to their kids/friends/etc. We should give some thought to what kind of memorial thing we'd like to do. I may have some ideas.

Jim

I will be down Friday in Sundre, but won't hit Cow Town until Saturday. Perhaps next time when we recon the campground for deadfall. Aye, please get in touch with Rose and his kin. I will drop his former boss off a note as well as he expressed interest to come out.

Now, as for flies. I was pretty shore I posted them someplace but can't hunt it down at the moment. So, I just snapped a few pics from 'The Fry Fly Wall Of Fame'. I actually removed some flies tied by Bob Clouser, and Jack Dennis and some other infamous tying folks from the wall there to help frame them better.

I guess I could sum up Tom's Flies best as:

BIG... GAUDY... PIKEY.. STEELHEAD.. FLASHY... TRASHY LOOKING... WITH MARDIS GRAS PLASTIC BEADS.. EXOCTIC DUBBING BRUSH TECHNIQUES. OUTRAGEOUS LOOKING BUT MUST CATCH A FISH SOMEPLACE IN THE WORLD. I WOULD ALSO HAVE TO NOTE THAT THE COLOURS OF RED & YELLOW WOULD BE PROMINENT AS WELL.

I was basically thinking myself.. that the theme should be set to simply tye a fly that would give your child nightmares A LA DR. SUESS ON DRUGS, CAT IN THE SPAM, GREEN EGGS & HATS. Should be a Pike Fly, Steelhead Fly, Spey Fly or something of that nature.. big bum colourful streamers. We are definitely not talking realistics or imitations here folks, but attractor flies from another alternative universe perhaps.

Suffice to say.. mine has THREE EYES, and should use every colour of bucktail in my possession. Which has become quite substational over the years.

post-65-1205367166_thumb.jpg

post-65-1205367207_thumb.jpg

In the meantime.. off to the club to tye a few flies for Stauffer Creek tonight. Seeing as I will be passing by there anyways. =)

PS - I also have a few ideas in mind.. including the biggest damn FF@ sign you ever seen. That might possibly even glow in the dark too. =)

PPS - I will start working my web magic on an official Klave Page soon.

OBTW, I spoke with Barry White of Bow River Angler's tonight (http://bowriver.com/). He may attend the Klave as well, and currently he has no bookings around this time of the Klave. Has offered attendees a Klave Discount. So there is an opportunity to book a trip with him and we may also be able to caravan / shuttle some pontoon boats in his boat. Have a regatta going down the stream.

I am up for booking at least one day with him myself, and float another day. So food for thought for the rest. I am also willing to let someone else take my pontoon down the river for the day I won't be in it. Let's get the trip options underway... I think a day on the Livingston / Oldman drainage is also on the books.

• 2 weeks later...

The Klave Page is on-line now.. as always.. a work in progress.. so refer to often. I will announce this to the floor as well at the next Wednesday meeting.

http://ranger-bob.net/abk2008/

Start spreading the news.... and booking your vacation time.

----- Original Message -----

To: "Canadian flyfishing list" <CANFF@CLIFFY.UCS.MUN.CA>

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:26 PM

Subject: Tom Fry Memorial Klave

> The official Alberta Klave 2008 page is up here now:

>

> http://ranger-bob.net/abk2008/

>

> We hope to see you there!

>

> Lance (Ranger Bob) Taylor

> http://ranger-bob.net

From: "Memorial University of Newfoundland LISTSERV Server (14.3)" <LISTSERV@CLIFFY.UCS.MUN.CA>

To: "Lance Taylor"

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:26 PM

Subject: Message ("Your message dated Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:26:00...")

> Your message dated Sun, 23 Mar 2008 22:26:00 -0600 with subject "Tom Fry

> Memorial Klave" has been successfully distributed to the CANFF list (104

> recipients).

To: <FLYFISH@LSV.UKY.EDU>

Cc: "Jim Fox"

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:35 PM

Subject: Tom Fry Memorial Klave (Alberta Klave Wednesday, August 13th to Sunday, August 17th, 2008)

> The official Alberta Klave 2008 page is on-line here now, and the folks from

> CANFF@ and NLFT&F have been notified.

>

>

> We hope to see you there! Danny, can you add this to the "official" Klave

> announcement pages for us, thanks!

>

> Lance (Ranger Bob) Taylor

> http://ranger-bob.net

>

> See also:

>

> http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=...st=0#entry17126

>

• 1 month later...

Alrighty folks, Jim has put out the $250 deposit for the campsite. At this time we need to firm up the commitments for attendance on this Klave.

The cost will be $22.50 per night for the site, again, along side the banks of the Bow River. As well, we'd like to hear folks commit their patterns and sound off that they are in the Fly Swap so we know how many participants there are.

Please post here, or refer to the webpage on how to reserve your spot.

Thanks!

RB

To: "Canadian flyfishing list" <CANFF@CLIFFY.UCS.MUN.CA>

Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 5:41 PM

Subject: FF@/CANFF/NLFT&F - Alberta Klave 2008 ("Tom Fry Memorial Klave") - Wednesday, August 13th to Sunday, August 17th.

> A reminder that a fly-fishing Klave is currently being planned to be

> held on the banks of the "Bow River" near Carsland, Alberta from

> Wednesday, August 13th to Sunday, August 17th.

>

> The site has been secured (a deposit left), however, we have not had folks

> send in their commitments at this time (we requested by

> end of May initially, and are not setting to June). At present, if we do not

> have 10 folks confirmed soonest we will have to seek an alternate smaller venue.

>

> I refer you once again to the official Klave page below for all the details

> (including the fly swap), and please

> drop either me or Jim fox a note that you are coming.

>

> We hope to see you there!

>

>

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that the FF@/NLFTF/CANFF@ Tom Fry Memorial conclave is quickly approaching, August 13-17. We're on the banks of the Bow where 20+ inch trout are possible morning, noon and night. There will be great fun, lots of fishing, tying, BS'ing and even a refreshment or two. Saturday is pot-luck dinner night and we are even having a fly swap. You can see details here - http://ranger-bob.net/abk2008/

Conclaving is a great way to experience new waters, learn more about your favourite waters and meet some new fishing partners. Conclaving with Ranger Bob is a great way to learn about just how big a campfire can be.

If you've been before, you know this event will be memorable. If you haven't been at one, you owe it to yourself to come. Let us know if you are coming, or even just thinking about coming. Please send me an email at jim_and_dorothy@hotmail.com or contact Lance "Ranger Bob" Taylor as soon as you can.

Jim

Hi folks, based on the lack of confirmed attendees to the Klave this year.. and with the numbers posted so far... we may well loose our group campsite privelages here.

At present we calculate the cost to be $35 per head a night to keep and secure the spot, as opposed to the $22 a night. If we do NOT have more folks step forward with confirmations by Friday, July 18th we will have to cancel the reservation for the private Group C campsite next to the Bow River. Which would be a crying shame really.

If any folks are planning to attend the Hook & Hackle "Fishout" ... 'tis actually the same spot we secured. And.. if we do have to cancel.. and folks whom do attend that one.. we know will come back and rave about the site selection.. as we know all about it already... indeed it will be our loss.

Plans would have to be changed for "every person" for themselves scattered about the public campsite, or we may consider changing the venue away from the Bow River altogether to an alternative site we had as a backup further South.

Again, please let Jim and I know your intentions.. by this Friday.. when we will make the final decision as to whether to proceed with this spot or not.

RB

More News Here (*I Hope your flies are tied up for the Fry Fly Swap *):

http://forum.nlft.org/index.php?showtopic=2630&hl=

---

These Ae The Confirmed Klavers (Ones that bothered to e-mail a confirmation. If you have not done so yet, now is the time to do it!):

* Jim <Insert Nickname Here> Fox -- (All Days)

* Lance "Ranger Bob" Taylor -- (All Days)

* Mike ("va6mjt") Taddeo -- (To confirm which days).

* DipperDan & Irene -- (To confirm which days).

* Tony Blake (Red Deer) - (Aug 16/17)

* Mike Dell (All Days)

* Greg Scratchley (Fri-Sun)

* Jeff (HepCat) (Fri-Sun)

--

Message Cross Posted to: CANFF@ / FF@ / NFLT / Yahoo Group / Facebook Event

From: "Memorial University of Newfoundland LISTSERV Server (14.3)" <LISTSERV@CLIFFY.UCS.MUN.CA>

To: "Lance Taylor"

Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 6:40 PM

Subject: Message ("Your message dated Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:03:51...")

> Your message dated Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:03:51 -0600 with subject "xxSPAMxx

> FF@/CANFF@/NLFTF2008 "Tom Fry Memorial Klave" Klave News Update" has been

> successfully distributed to the CANFF list (104 recipients).

• 2 weeks later...

VENUE CHANGE NOTICE

To: rose-fry

Cc: Jim Fox

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:02 PM

Subject: Fw: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: CANFF@/FF@/NLFT&F - "Tom Fry Memorial" Alberta Klave 2008 Campground Venue Change Notification

Hi Rose,

I wanted to e-mail you personally to indicate that the Klave is still a go... we just had to alter plans a bit. You know what they

say about the "best laid plans of mice and men". Well, hear The Ranger -- Roar!

Yes, we are still hopefully looking forward to seeing you there despite the longer drive and the change to your own personal

vacation plans (I too also canceled a float trip on the Bow). Anyways, please feel free to invite along as many friends and

other family members of Tom's as you'd like.

We'll definitely get into some fish.. and meet some new friends... on some new waters. Besides, Saturday Pot Luck is

never to be missed.

My "Warmest" Regards,

Lance Taylor

To: Jim Fox

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:55 PM

Subject: Fw: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: CANFF@/FF@/NLFT&F - "Tom Fry Memorial" Alberta Klave 2008 Campground Venue Change Notification

E-mail sent to CANFF@ (and BCC'ed every flyfisher in my personal e-mail list that confirmed or not), please post on Flyfish@.. and I will update NLFT&F forum next.

See you there buddy... I'll bring the beer(zzzzzzzzz).

RB

To: "Lance Taylor" <lance-taylor@SHAW.CA>

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:54 PM

Subject: Message ("Your message dated Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:53:40...")

> Your message dated Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:53:40 -0600 with subject "IMPORTANT

> ANNOUNCEMENT: CANFF@/FF@/NLFT&F - "Tom Fry Memorial" Alberta Klave 2008

> Campground Venue Change Notification" has been successfully distributed to

> the CANFF list (104 recipients).

To: Canadian flyfishing list

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:53 PM

Subject: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: CANFF@/FF@/NLFT&F - "Tom Fry Memorial" Alberta Klave 2008 Campground Venue Change Notification

Due to the lack of numbers confirming attendance for the Alberta Fly-fishing Klave this year. Jim and I got the deposit refunded

on the Carsland Wyndham Group Campsite. We felt that rather that being scattered all over the public site there, that we should

pull-up stakes and move to some new (but familiar waters). It was going to cost folks $35 a night instead of the $22 with

the numbers which was not fair to the group that committed to be there earlier in the week to hold the spot for the stragglers.

Also, the new site is cheaper at $12 a night.. so there should be no excuses on the cost at least.

So, please take notice that the Klave Site for 2008 is now at "Dutch Creek" Campground along the Forestry Trunk Road. This

is not far off the mark from where we held the one at Racehorse Creek a few years back, so a great many of you will be familiar

with where to go... and where to fish. ;^)

The site offers remarkable fishing, as attested to Jim's "prospecting" at the waters this past weekend (see attached pics). It's

only about 2.5 hours further South down the road from Calgary. The Klave website has been updated with this new information,

and you are being personally e-mailed as you have either confirmed, we though you would have by now, or simply thought you

might like to know, and felt you should be there with us. If you are hearing about this for the first time.. uhm.. where have

you been?

Anyways, we truly do hope to see you down there (these are always a great time), and perhaps more folks might decide to

find their way down as well.

The more, the merrier! And as always, the latest news can be found on the Klave Website Here:

Posted Image

http://www.rockymountaincamping.ca/DutchCreek.html

42 Sites - Location: 35 km. North of Crowsnest Pass on Forestry Trunk Road or Hwy. 940

Easy access from Hwy. 517

Rate: $12.00 regular - $11.00 senior.

General notes: Wood sales, on site host, clean quiet camping

Activities: Fishing, hiking, quading and Close proximity to Bob Creek Wild land Area

Klavemeister Regards,

Lance (Ranger Bob) Taylor

Jim (insert something sly here) Fox

Lance Thanks for the up date on change of venue. Brenda & I will be in that area on those dates. I will speak to her tonight and let you know on the weekend if we will make it. We really enjoyed the one last yr at Dutch. Its a very nice place. I briefly met Tom then so didn't really have time to get to know him.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :fishing::fish_jump:

My son's wedding :vdaylove: is that weekend. I've been trying to get permission :vikinjg:: to go to the Klave instead, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Sorry to miss it this year -- have fun everyone :fishing::drinked::fishing:, it's in a great location. Terry

Hi all. Do you have to be a club member to attend this conclave event? The reason I am not a member is that I work most evenings and can not attend meetings. I have been fly fishing for 5 years now and have never fished with anyone else in other words always alone. I don't even know if I am doing it the wright way. I have the clave weekend off and thought it might be a good chance to meet some other fishy folks. I enjoy this site and I am always looking for hints on what to use and where. thanks Neil Compton Edmonton

Come on down there is lotsa water and lotsa fish. Just don't drink 5 Alive and Scotch BLECK!!!!!!!!!!! Pisco is choice of drink in them woods, right Terry!

It's a fun time ,relaxed and no pressure to out fish Dennis, although he can pull out 30" bulls on a 3 weight rod, ( no pictures of that one?)

Come out for the fun. Dan

..............Pisco is choice of drink in them woods, right Terry! .......................

That's right -- Pisco sours rule. Hey Dipperdan, are you bringing me another bottle of Pisco (I like the Peruvian stuff best)? :lol: :lol: Terry