Bad News

Dragon Troller

Sorry Guys I assumed it was a public forum.

Indeed Swan lake, Report from one Gent is that signs are going up after this weekend to make it day use only, Full enforcement is expected by the warden up there.

I'm still searching for more info.

... Full enforcement is expected by the warden up there...

Yeah - now they decide to add some enforcement/patrols. great timing!

I guess we'll have to work on plan B...

That seriously blows! My brother from Calgary and I had intended to spend the last weekend in June on Swan...I guess we'll have to bunk down somewhere nearby, but what a drag having to drive in and out everyday! Any suggestions where we could camp?

Do you know why the change? Is it due to the people I saw living out there last year? Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to put a 3or4 day stay limit, then innocent guys like us could still camp and fish? Frustrating!

Andy

Closest camping is now at Sturgeon Lake - back towards Valleyview - I think that the provincial campground there is called Youngs Point. It's about 20-25 minutes from Swan.

Sucks that if you're tenting you need to break camp so that you aren't 30 minutes from your stolen stuff.

This is a really piss poor decision on behalf of the province, srd, and the county I think.

Hey Guys,

I was snooping around last night and you're right it looks like Sturgeon is the place to go...I'm almost tempted to pay a bit extra and set up camp in the Private Camp Ground, so I don't have to break camp every day...how much risk of stuff getting stolen do you think there is?

I've left my stuff many times at Prov Camp grounds while I fished for the day somewhere a ways away, without incident, but Sturgeon Lake seems a bit more risky b/c of it's proximity to Grande Prairie.

Do you know if there is a motel/hotel/inn option in DeBolt or Crooked River or Ridgevalley(not sure that is the right name)?

Bottomline...Boo Hiss on whoever made the decision to take the camping away from Swan Lake!

Andy.

Not sure about motel options at the towns you mentioned - I've only stayed in Valleyview, but definitely preferred the Swan Lake parking lot ;^)

The cycle of having to setting up/ tear down camp each day, assembling / reassembling the pontoon boat each day, gas... we want a week o' fishen and relaxen :D

Hey Guys,

I was snooping around last night and you're right it looks like Sturgeon is the place to go...I'm almost tempted to pay a bit extra and set up camp in the Private Camp Ground, so I don't have to break camp every day...how much risk of stuff getting stolen do you think there is?

I've left my stuff many times at Prov Camp grounds while I fished for the day somewhere a ways away, without incident, but Sturgeon Lake seems a bit more risky b/c of it's proximity to Grande Prairie.

Do you know if there is a motel/hotel/inn option in DeBolt or Crooked River or Ridgevalley(not sure that is the right name)?

Bottomline...Boo Hiss on whoever made the decision to take the camping away from Swan Lake!

Andy.

Stayed in Debolt's Grand (only) Hotel while hunting in the area many years ago, don't know if it still exists or not. Don't know if there is anything at Crooked Creek.

J

According to Bob Guidos the change was made by Alberta Parks, Grande Prairie. I have no information on the history or the reasons for the change other than word of mouth. However, I suspect a couple of motives. The County or Municipal District may no longer wanted to operate the campground either because it was costing too much or they didn't have people to run it, so they turned it back to the Province. SRD or PArks didn't want to operate it as a campground because again the project revenue wasn't enough to offet the cost or they didn't find a contract operator who could break even on it. Another possible factor may be the necessity for provision of safe drinking water to the users. Since Walkerton, camground operators have had more restrictive requirements for testing , treating and maintenance of water supplies. Often the simplest soultion is to truck in municipal water, which of course costs money. Of course anothe possibel factor migth be local pressure to keep "city folk" away from "their" fish.

What to do?

Don't keep quiet. And don't fool arond with the local SRD or Parks guys. Go straight to the horse's mouth.

Write your MLA (you can look it up at Alberta.ca).

Write to the Minister of Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation (Honourable Minister Ady, 229 Legislature Building, 10800 - 97 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2B6).

Write the Minister of Sustainable Resource Development (Honorable Ted Morton, 420 Legislature Building, 10800 - 97 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K 2B6).

And I mean Write. Don't just call or e-mail. Letters, even brief ones have way more impact. They trickle down the line to those actually responsible for the decisions.

What to say?

First express your disappointment at the change and unhappiness with the lack of consultation with or consideration of campground users and fishermen in general. Second explain why you are unhappy and how much and why you used the campground. Third explain the impact of the change in reduced angling opportunity, fewer tourist trips by you and others to the area and less money spent by nonresidents in that community. Fourth, suggest alternatives such as expanding the camping area to make it more viable, searching hard for willing local operators, and implementing limited stay regulations to permit campground turnover.

And lastly, explain that as a taxpayer and licence purchasing fisherman you are unhappy that you have lost reasonable access to a valued recreational resource.

So if you don't want to have to pack up every day and camp somewhere else, get off your duff and write! The more the better.

Edited by dave robinson

Just back from a week at Swan. Fishing's as great as ever but the Day Use restriction is definitely on for the foreseeable future. There is still a plan to turn the area into a provincial park but Parks is having difficulty acquiring sufficient land adjacent to the area to develop the park. Signs are not yet up but Conservation officers were in twice this week to warn people to vacate. They will be up by next Tuesday and campers will apparently have to the end of that week to vacate or be towed out. Lack of advanced warning and consultation is the hallmark of an arrogant bureaucracy. I hope as many as possible let the Minister responsible, Cyndy Ady, know their feelings. I certainly have.

On a slightly brighter note, ACA is conducting tests on Swan and Moonshine this year with a view to summer aeration for next year. The summer kill the last two years has seriously depleted the stock of fish over 6lb and the ACA seems to want to do something about about it. We'll see! Wouldn't hurt to let Peter Aku, senior fisheries guy at ACA, know that you're in favour of this.

• 1 month later...

Just back from a week at Swan.

I can only DREAM of next year for a WEEK now. Aye, this place ROCKS!

http://lance-taylor.net/fiftynorth.ca/?p=43

PS - Dan (see video posted for you viewing pleasure), because plain old pictures suck eh? OR. what I was up until 4:11 AM (instead of sleep) putting together a video panoramic / trip report "montage" for you all of Swan Lake. ;)