Fishing Still Water And Stocked Ponds

stevenpo

I am a member summerside and have a stocked pond close to me, and I have never fished still water. What would be my best bet to throw at the trout??? what is the best methods for fishing?? using indicators??

Thanks for your input

Steve

I am a member summerside and have a stocked pond close to me, and I have never fished still water. What would be my best bet to throw at the trout??? what is the best methods for fishing?? using indicators??

Thanks for your input

Steve

Steve,

"Match The Hatch". If there are bugs hatching. Otherwise, recommend you put on one of those fish pimps.. and drop a couple of flies underneath, a Chronomid, and a Water Boatman. If that don't work, tye on a black Wooly Bugger (sans indicator), chuck it out and start stripping.

Yesterday, Scratch and I went out check up on some new stretches of the NSR. We also visited our super secret hole called 'The Bighorn' (gorgeous Dry Fly water and riffles, that makes 'The Firehole' look pretty sad and small really), and in fact we saw rising fish all night long. Although, we can't say for certain they were Goldeye... many looked like Walleye breaking the surface. The only visible things hatching were tiny black midges. So logic dictates you should tye on a Griffith's Gnat to "Match The Hatch". However, Elk Hair Stimulators were tossed and anything big, mean, and ugly to get their attention in the silty water. At this time of year, many lakes are also in 'turnover' so.. bright guady.. glowy things often work well too.

Sometimes... there is no logic. All part of the game.. figuring it out... and outsmarting them.

FISH ON!

PS - Oh yah, whens the BBQ.. we'll come show you how. :whootwhoo:

Thanks for the input..

I got unlucky and my company sent me to Calgary this weekend for work :) So saturday full day on the bow..

Gonna try to catch a fish on one of those copper johns that I tied.. Hopefully get some cloud and a BWO hatch so I can throw some of those BWO's that we tied.

for sure man, bbq it is.. only problem is that I dont have a bbq... haha :)

going to be out on the lake on sunday afternoon give me a call if you guys want to join me.

Tight lines

Steve

Thanks for your input

Steve

Steve,

"Match The Hatch". If there are bugs hatching. Otherwise, recommend you put on one of those fish pimps.. and drop a couple of flies underneath, a Chronomid, and a Water Boatman. If that don't work, tye on a black Wooly Bugger (sans indicator), chuck it out and start stripping.

Yesterday, Scratch and I went out check up on some new stretches of the NSR. We also visited our super secret hole called 'The Bighorn' (gorgeous Dry Fly water and riffles, that makes 'The Firehole' look pretty sad and small really), and in fact we saw rising fish all night long. Although, we can't say for certain they were Goldeye... many looked like Walleye breaking the surface. The only visible things hatching were tiny black midges. So logic dictates you should tye on a Griffith's Gnat to "Match The Hatch". However, Elk Hair Stimulators were tossed and anything big, mean, and ugly to get their attention in the silty water. At this time of year, many lakes are also in 'turnover' so.. bright guady.. glowy things often work well too.

Sometimes... there is no logic. All part of the game.. figuring it out... and outsmarting them.

FISH ON!

PS - Oh yah, whens the BBQ.. we'll come show you how. :whootwhoo:

Hey Steve,

I also live in Summerside and have briefly kicked around in my float tube in that lake. Granted, I didn't

spend a lot of time fishing but did try all the "go to" stillwater patterns with no success. I am not sure of the amount of fish left in the lake as I have inquired to stocking and estimated populations of fish but can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone there. (Evidently the Summerside staff don't see a need to restock the lake as they "assume" there is an adequate population of fish in the lake...at least that was the attitude last year). It doesn't appear there is a reliable way to track the amount of fish being pulled from the lake, I've heard stories of construction workers working in the area jumping the fence and pulling their "fair share" of fish while chucking bait that obviously go unaccounted for. I've searched for risers on a warm calm evening and seen them very few and far between. I've fished dries, chronies, leech patterns in the evening with on success, I have yet to catch a fish from Lake Summerside. (I've only lived there a year). I'd definately be interested to hear how you do if you go out. With that said, when I first moved to the area, I saw a couple guys fishing with velveeta near the north side of the lake that had just caught a beauty rainbow (about 2 pounds)...although supposedly bait is not allowed...Go figure! Good luck!

I went today and saw some fish. there was a hatch and there were a few risers...

I had a few trout chase after my woolly bugger but would just turn away or just bump it a bit..

I am not sure if I am presenting it right or not...

I had them chasing but no take....

any suggestions guys??

Thanks

Steve

I went today and saw some fish. there was a hatch and there were a few risers...

I had a few trout chase after my woolly bugger but would just turn away or just bump it a bit..

I had them chasing but no take....

any suggestions guys??

Thanks

Steve

There probably weren't any Woolly Buggers "hatching" so match the hatch!

lol , that's funny :beating:

My question was more on presentation of the wooly buggers or streamer type flies in general.. I do understand you need to match the hatch..

Do trout normally chase what goes by them?? or maybe I was presnenting or stripping it wrong?? fast or slow for example..

My question was more on presentation of the wooly buggers or streamer type flies in general.. I do understand you need to match the hatch..

Do trout normally chase what goes by them?? or maybe I was presnenting or stripping it wrong?? fast or slow for example..

Well I am still quite new at fly fishing, but if there is a hatch and the trout is feeding on it most likely your other presentation may be ignored as the fish may not know what it is that you're trying to present, a woolly bugger will immitate a minnow or a leach, if there is less minnows and leaches at the time than for example a hatching chironomid the fish will more likely go after the chironomid.

I read that trout feeds 65 % of time of chironomids and 90% trout feeds from the bottom rather than the top.

Somone correct me if I'm wrong.

When I went to Eastpit lake last weekend there was chironomid hatch, I am not that experienced but someone I was with has 40 years of fly fishing behind their belt and they were able to point out many things to me, this is the first year that I am paying attention whats in the water and I was quite amazed to see for the first time a chironomid hatch, right after I changed the shrimp pattern to chironomid and right away started getting hits and landing fish.

Last weekend I had a great lesson and I sure do appreciate it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers mate !

lol , that's funny :beating:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! ME BAD!

In all seriousness it probably was a chironomid hatch going on and something smaller than a Woolly Bugger might have brought better results. There are lots of fishers who don't fish chironomids who do very well during chronie hatches fishing Pheasant Tail Nymphs or small Halfbacks. Once the hatch has subsided, that is the time to fish Woolly Buggers as the fish tend to eat leeches for dessert!

In relation to the smart aleck remark about the Woolly Bugger hatch, a couple years ago when I was managing a fishing resort a customer phoned for a report and what flies were working. I told him the regulars were getting some good fish on small Tom Thumbs and his response was, "Really? Why, are they hatching?"

I had them chasing but no take.... any suggestions guys??

Thanks

Steve

Aye, after selecting the right fly.. sounds like you did (took my advice)... the next step is a realistic presentation of said fly. This is where the next step after.. perspiration comes in.

Again, based on your observation, a 'Catatonic Leech' dead drifted under an indicator would likely produce results. Wooly Buggers do indeed match a hatch.

Check these out, for some further advise... and later I'll bring my BBQ and we can find out together "how they taste." :)

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dmanders/leech.html (Catatonic Leech Pattern)

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/464 (Troutnut Forum > Fly Fishing Discussion > Wooly buggers and what they're taken for)

Hey Guys,

To comment on most everything in this stream........I also live in Summerside, moved in this past Nov. One of the deciding factors of our move was the Lake, so to say the least the minute I had a chance to drill a hole in the ice and find out what it offered, I did. My Father, Brother and I safely caught and released 8 'Bows b/w us nothing under 15" in less than 3 hours.....to say the least I've been on Pins since waiting for Ice off. I've since fished 4 times this spring and was skunked only once......with that said, it is one of the toughest lakes I have ever fished........nothing more frustrating than seeing those big dawgs swim by or have them lightly bump your line ONCE and never return. The good news is, I have gently released several in the 18-20" range.....unfortunately in late April I witnessed some Twit winch in a beautiful 20" female that easily tipped the scales(he had a digital) at 4lbs and chuck it in the snow. I don't mind a guy taking a fish once and a while, but this guy had another agenda and it was all about filling his freezer with his 12lb test, Velveda and Power Bait.

Anyway, enough of that........the good news is they are planning to stock 5-6 thousand this year.....I talked to the Manager, Gerry.....they are just waiting for the go ahead from the "stocking guy" when the water is at a safe temp for optimal survival.

The also have started a new entry program.......they have repaired the gate on the north end and when you come in with a rod, they make you leave your I.D. card so they can check your "pail" and take a count when you leave.....this will help narrow down the numbers leaving the lake.....they want to maintain 10 thousand. Also there is rumor of a resident that is a Police Officer that has no problem charging those J.A's that jump the fence.........believe me I'll be asking shady looking characters this summer if they belong there.

Finally, my limited success has come from dead drifting a Catatonic Leech or a Bead headed Hairs Ear nymph on an indicator......a foot from the bottom, light tippet (5 or6X)........and be ready, they will very lightly try and swim away with it, but don't set the hook to quick.....anyway, you'll figure it out.

I hope to see you guys down there lots this summer....my name is Andy, I'll be the guy in the Olive Green John Boat (flat bottom Crestliner) using his beloved gold baby (4WT Sage Launch).

If you haven't figured it out yet, I love Flyfishing more than any other recreation/sport on earth, so tight lines and I'm sure I'll see you around this summer.

Regards,

A.

post-1706-1210949394_thumb.jpg

I hope to see you guys down there lots this summer....my name is Andy, I'll be the guy in the Olive Green John Boat (flat bottom Crestliner) using his beloved gold baby (4WT Sage Launch).

Isn't summerside a private lake, i.e. you have to live there to fish it. If thats the case you won't see too many unless you invite them. :)

Dragon Toller that my understanding also only member and I'm not sure how the guest part works. So as you say you won't be seeing many of us there.

Its interesting Summerside puts on a fishing Derby to the public to fund this lake but we can not fish there. That the Crappers The public funds their stocking program and we cann't fish there .

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

Its interesting Summerside puts on a fishing Derby to the public to fund this lake but we can not fish there. That the Crappers The public funds their stocking program and we cann't fish there .

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S. :fishing::fish_jump:

any private body of water really, seriously bothers me,

I always wanted to check out that Lake Eden , I've read the description a while back from Doc's old web site, well I can't anymore

because it turned private.... :barf:

I was there the other day and some guy was there and I asked him what part of summerside he was from and he told me he was from Sherwood Park.. lol.. I guess the part with the fountain its easy to just hump the fence..

I have no problem telling them off. I am going to suggest that they post the fishing regs at each access point because people dont know them and they think they can bring home whatever they catch.. I see soo many people their with 5 gallon pails ready to be filled.

Anyways I am sure I will see you on the lake this summer.

Tight Lines

Steve

Morph, Dennis and Dragon,

It is true that Summerside is a Private Lake and access is technically by invite only and I'd be happy to take you guys out if you like. I can understand you frustration that it "looks" like outsiders money funding the lake, but that is not true...I believe that derby is in place, not doubt to "help" with funding, but also to give non-residents an opportunity to fish the lake, thereby, advertising to the populace that Summerside would be a great choice for a community to live in, thereby, selling more property. As residents we pay an annual "condo fee" to pay for the lake and the surrounding site. I did the city census this year and there are over 700 occupied residences that pay to the upkeep and this fee goes up the closer to the lake you get. I live a kilometre away and I pay $326...the lakeside residents pay around $1000. Hope this helps.

This goes out to Dragon especially...I'd be happy to take you out to Summerside Lake when ever you want...I owe you one...you gave me advice last year regarding Swan Lake and I literally had one of the best fishing experiences of my life...so you name the time. Cheers.

Later,

A.

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the info. Its refreshing to hear from somebody so informed. Looks like my 300+ dollar "residents fee" this year will be put to good use. I'll be out with my green fish cat float tube and 5wt Sage Fli stalking some of them 20 inchers. Thats great to hear! Hope to see you guys out there!

Adam

I have fished Summerside (as a guest) several times now. Never was I disappointed in the fishing.

The "private" lake issue only concerns me when the stocking is provided by fishing license and tax dollars. Places like Spring Lake where access is 'tough' or Eden used to be (but is now off the stocking list due to a lack of public access - or Hasse lake - where you are required to pay a fee to access the water that you've already helped pay to stock.

Summerside is a private stocked pond - no different than the hundreds around Edmonton on private property that you don't know about. You just gotta suck it up and find a friend who lives there. :)