Tippet

mackpup

OK, I am extremely new to flyfishing so no giving me heck.....haha

I got a fly rod for christmas and i am ready to give it hell. The problem I have is I got the guy from the local tackle shop to spool my reel and what he put on is contridicting to what I am reading. Can someone let me know if this is correct. its a 6 wt 9 foot temple fork rod and reel, he put on 50 yards of backing, 90 yards of floating line, a 9 foot 4x tapered leader and then tied on 3 feet of 4x tippet. The real question is, should he have put on the extra 3 feet of tippet. I will be fishing the local edmonton pothole lakes for rainbows, does this all sound right?

OK, I am extremely new to flyfishing so no giving me heck.....haha

I got a fly rod for christmas and i am ready to give it hell. The problem I have is I got the guy from the local tackle shop to spool my reel and what he put on is contridicting to what I am reading. Can someone let me know if this is correct. its a 6 wt 9 foot temple fork rod and reel, he put on 50 yards of backing, 90 yards of floating line, a 9 foot 4x tapered leader and then tied on 3 feet of 4x tippet. The real question is, should he have put on the extra 3 feet of tippet. I will be fishing the local edmonton pothole lakes for rainbows, does this all sound right?

Yep - sounds right - assuming it's a bugger or leech you're fishing. You'll want a dozen more feet of tippet if you're fishing deep chironomids. :)

The 3 feet of tippet is so that you aren't cutting 4" of your leader off every fly change. Tippet is cheap - leaders aren't. :)

Mackpup:

And now for the sales pitch.

Since you're "extremenly new to fly fishing", you are fortunate to have found a great resource.

The Northern Lights Fly Tyers and Fishers is a real boon to beginners.

We do alot of teaching and not just of fly tying.

Check out our main web page and navigate to the newsletter.

You will find we have a beginner fly tying seminar this Saturday, A Beginner Casting Clinic May 3 and an Intermediate Casting Clinic May 31. All this is in addision to our regular meeting program, which this month features some fly tying, a group gear checkout and a fish identifcation session.

You'll also find a lot of friendly folk who are prepared to take you under their wing as you struggle to learn the new art and craft of fly fishing.

Drop into a meeting any Wednesday evening and find yourself a whole slew of new fishing buddies.